Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
kirbenvost - 9.08.11, 12:19 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I'm considering wheel & tire options for my Tamiya GB-02 1/16th scale 2WD buggy, but I'm looking at options from any manufacturer, so I'm posting here instead of the Tamiya section.

What I'm looking for is replacement tires for the stockers that will perform better and last longer. To do that, I'm probably going to have to fit wheels from a different manufacturer, because Tamiya stuff generally isn't interchangeable, at least these wheels aren't. Beadlocks would be nice as well, but I'm not sure if the added weight would be too much for the drivetrain. I have seen plastic beadlocks though, I just don't know if they'd be available in that size or out of my price range.

The stock wheels are approximately 1.5" diameter but use a 10mm hex. If I get a certain part set for the GT-01, I can convert that to a 12mm hex, which I believe is the more common size. I have heard of people using the Tamiya M-chassis wheels and tires with the adapters, but I'm looking for more of an off-road design that will better fit the look of a 2WD buggy.

The HPI Mini Trophy truck inspired this idea, but considering it's 1/12th scale, I'm not sure if those wheels would work.

Any ideas? Beadlock wheels would be really cool and make tire replacement really easy, but I don't know if that's feasible on small-scale, 2WD vehicles.
(URC Founder)
"Dory, Hunky"
theJANG - 9.08.11, 12:39 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
What is the approximate diameter of the stock tires?
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by the rest of the URC community. Most questions asked of me directly can be answered sooner & better by the URC community.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I can only respond to important urgent, business-related, or security-related private messages. I cannot give personal diagnostic or product advice via PM. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"Experienced user"
kirbenvost - 9.08.11, 1:14 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
From Towerhobbies:

Outer Diameter: 2.4" (60mm)
Inner Diameter: 1.5" (39.5mm)
Width: 0.79" (20mm)

Should be pretty accurate...and there's room for them to be a little bigger. The outer diameter of the front tires is a few millimetres smaller, but the rims are identical so I'm sure it could handle the same size tires all around if need be.

Hmm, also from Tower Hobbies, the HPI Mini Touring Truck wheels & tires:

Tires: Licensed Yokohama Geolander 1.3" (34mm) wide, 3.7" (94mm)
diameter with foam inserts
Wheels: Matte chrome finish 1" (26mm) wide, 2.2" (54mm) diameter
12mm hex

So yeah, the tires are way too big. I have seen people put 1/10 scale touring car wheels on these Tamtechs but it looks really weird. I did see 1.5" beadlock wheels in various places but finding suitable tires will likely be the difficult part.
(Last edited by kirbenvost : 9.08.11 at 1:26 pm)
(URC Founder)
"Dory, Hunky"
theJANG - 9.08.11, 1:35 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Yeah I'm thinking the best bet would be touring car wheels with soft rally tires. If M-chassis wheels fit there are also some aftermarket rally tires available in that size (the Tamiya ones are much too hard). Tires with taller, offroad-style sidewalls available for M-chassis sized wheels are unfortunately all in crawler sizes, usually 3 3/4" to 4 1/2" in diameter, so that's not going to work. Hmmm...
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by the rest of the URC community. Most questions asked of me directly can be answered sooner & better by the URC community.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I can only respond to important urgent, business-related, or security-related private messages. I cannot give personal diagnostic or product advice via PM. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"eheheheheh"
tamiyafier - 9.08.11, 2:00 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
According to RCMini Losi Mini-T and AE RC18 tires are direct fits onto M-chassis rims.
"'You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.'- Wayne Gretzky"

-Michael Scott
"Experienced user"
kirbenvost - 9.08.11, 2:01 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Thanks Jang. Those M-chassis rally tires could be an option. Do you know the particular manufacturers that make the aftermarket ones?

Edit: Thanks Tamiyafier, those are definite options as well. Anyone know if there are aftermarket options for those vehicles, or how the compound is compared to Tamiya's?

I guess wishing for beadlock is too much?
(Last edited by kirbenvost : 9.08.11 at 2:05 pm)
"Experienced user"
kirbenvost - 9.08.11, 2:58 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Darnit, I found these, but they're actually too small!

http://store.rc4wd.com/Rok-Lox-Micro...res_p_739.html

And these: http://store.rc4wd.com/Mickey-Thomps...ir_p_1563.html

Would crawler tires be okay if they had foams inside, or are they too soft for normal off-road use?

Hmm. Here's another idea. Since they do make 1.55" beadlock wheels, what about stretching the smaller tires over them? I guess that all depends on the width being the same. And it may look strange regardless... lol, I feel like a noob again with all these questions.
(Last edited by kirbenvost : 9.08.11 at 3:05 pm)
"Experienced user"
kirbenvost - 9.15.11, 9:00 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Hmm, what about these:

http://prolineracing.com/wheels/titu...thout-weights/

With these:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGG35&P=7

Possibly still too large & heavy...
(Last edited by kirbenvost : 9.15.11 at 9:03 pm)
"Experienced user"
kirbenvost - 9.15.11, 9:29 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Or these.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWDJ9&P=7

Anyone think this could work? Or am I asking for trouble trying to put beadlocks on a small-scale RC? I don't want to overstress my drivetrain...
(Last edited by kirbenvost : 9.15.11 at 9:31 pm)
"Experienced user"
Magicmole - 9.15.11, 9:58 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Those axials may work, i think they are actually plastic not metal so they wont stress the driveline too much
Is magic!

Yaaaaay im finally an experienced user