Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Darth_Pede - 9.22.11, 1:50 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
My 6 year old son got a Extreme Machines "Thunder XX" RC truck from Costco for his birthday last week. For only $40, I think it's actually pretty cool. I'd say it's full 1:10 size and has a hobby-style removeable body, except that the antenna is taped to the underside of the body, so you can't take it off without removing that tape first.

I know from other threads that there was a "Thunder XX" and a "Raptor XX" that Extreme Machines previously made, but this is NOT those, it just shares the same body. There's nothing even pretending to be hobby-grade about this, other than the body. The tires are rubber, semi-pneumatic, but the rubber is really too hard to flex under the weight of the toy or really bite into much. However, it does have 4wd and nice (for the price) soft independent suspension and seems fairly durable. Also, it will make it across my entire front lawn, albeit slowly, as long as you hit the grass rolling and keep it pegged and don't stop and will climb around on rocks and what not pretty well for what it is.

The battery pack that came with it is a 700mah NiCd 9.6v (flat-8 AA type) pack with a molex connector on it. I was thinking of trying to get a better battery pack, something more like 2000mah NiMH. The LHS said they had nothing.

I've found some battery packs from Tenergy and "Winner's Circle" that look like the ticket. Just wondering if these Winner's Circle packs are any good. Does anyone know? The price on them is much better than the Tenergy packs I see on eBay and elsewhere.

Here are the Winner's Circle batteries on eBay, the price is definitely right, if they don't suck:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190571643688

Also, if this is a good idea, I was wondering if anyone makes a similar-sized pack (has to fit in the compartment, which has a little room to spare) that is like a 9 AA pack or something... just to give it a little more voltage/power. I really don't want to damage or mod this toy truck (at least until something breaks on it's own), but if I could up the torque just a little with a slightly beefier battery, my son would be very happy being able to make it up bigger hills and whatnot. Maybe this is a bad idea. Maybe another 1.5v is enough to fry something in these cheap toy RCs... that's why I ask the hive mind for input.

I bought a Thunder AC680 for using with my Pede batteries and thought I'd just use it for these as well. I only mention that in passing, just in case that might affect someone's suggestion as to what I should do for a battery pack.
"trades in lambo..."
Stampede Guy2.0 - 9.23.11, 4:26 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
well it sounds like your car is underpowered and a higher mah battery will only increase runtime. if you can put some pictures up it would help the rest of us help you(if that makes sense...)
current RC's//Stampede xl5 (with BL)//litehawk pro4ch(similar to syma107-g)//
DrJVogel said "It's illegal to hunt helicopters while riding pigback --- even illegal in Texas and most of Oklahoma."
"Enhanced Experiencer"
User Unrelated - 9.23.11, 6:00 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
a full almost 1/10 scale, maybe-semi-hobby grade truck for only $40?
whay can't I find it on the internet? THE INTERNET HAS EVERYTHING!

That seems pretty cool, and I totally want to find out more about this truck (for the main reason of trying to coax friends into the hobby)
pictures would be super awesome!
"So I says to the guy: 'What good is yous' offer to me if I ain't got no virgins to sacrifice?!'
and den he jus' sorta looked at me all blank-like for a second, an' jus flew away."
"Experienced user"
HotWheeler69 - 9.23.11, 6:44 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
make your own I m sure you have a plug. and put these together..

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-rechar...2200-8pcs.html
"Experienced user"
Darth_Pede - 9.23.11, 7:00 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Stampede Guy - It's a toy for my 6 year old. It's really not underpowered for a $40 toy. Most inexpensive toy RCs struggle to run even in short grass. Also, in my neighbors more manicured lawn it does even better. Longer runtime alone is enough reason for me to get a better battery pack.

User Unrelated - There's nothing hobby-grade about this truck except for maybe the body. I still think it was a good value for only $40, though.

Hotwheeler - 8 of those AAs without the plug or my time costs more than 1 of the Winner's Circle battery packs... if I buy 2 of them. Since I'm thinking of picking up another one of these truck for my daughter, buying 2 upgraded battery packs makes more sense, anyway.

Everyone - I'll try to take some pictures and/or a video and post them up.
"Enhanced Experiencer"
User Unrelated - 9.23.11, 7:42 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
well, didn't you say it had independent suspension?
probably friction dampers, right?
most likely a 27T 540 can...
removable body
4WD
I never had a toy grade like that before!
A lot of earlier Tamiya kits would fall under this category...
I'd still love to learn more
"So I says to the guy: 'What good is yous' offer to me if I ain't got no virgins to sacrifice?!'
and den he jus' sorta looked at me all blank-like for a second, an' jus flew away."
"Experienced user"
Darth_Pede - 9.23.11, 9:20 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Okay, here are some pics I snapped. I put my Pede 4x4 next to it for reference in a couple of them. The electronics and motor, etc are all covered by ventilated shrouds, so I can't see them very well. I supposed it MIGHT be a 540 size motor, you can see the heatsink that comes up off of the top of the motor (it's the aluminum fin that's under the black plastic grate behind the transmission.

I don't want to try taking off all the covers since he just got it and if it turns out that some plastic piece breaks when I'm trying to get it apart and back together again, I'l be in the doghouse with my boy.

The body comes off like a hobby RC, as long as one is careful about un-tapin gthe antenna from the underside of the roof, but the body is not held on with the normal clips, they are these frustrating plastic press-on washers... I guess because they don't REALLY intend for kids to take the body off, they are just going for the hobby look.

The bumpers are HUGE and a very flexible polyethelene (my guess) type of plastic. You can pretty much run into a curb at full speed and it will bounce off because the bumpers are so springy... not that we HAVE gone straight into a curb to test this, but I'm guessing.

No proportional steering or throttle either.

The speed on blacktop is decent for a $40 toy RC. Maybe this weekend I'll pop in a freshly charges battery pack and tape my GPS to it just for kicks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4424 (Large).JPG
Views:	105
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	27662  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4434 (Large).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	27663  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4433 (Large).JPG
Views:	85
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	27664  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4427 (Large).JPG
Views:	117
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	27665  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4428 (Large).JPG
Views:	85
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	27666  
"Experienced user"
Darth_Pede - 9.23.11, 9:24 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
2 more pics. The one that shows the motor and tranny up close (although it's all covered), and the controller that it comes with. The controller is similar sized to my Traxxas one, so a little big for the kids, but they don't seem to mind, even if it does look awkward when they are trying to use it. It takes one 9-volt battery in the controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4426 (Large).JPG
Views:	101
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	27673  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4432 (Large).JPG
Views:	63
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	27674  
"Videos N moar"
CAboy - 9.24.11, 9:42 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
User Unrelated said
a full almost 1/10 scale, maybe-semi-hobby grade truck for only $40?
whay can't I find it on the internet? THE INTERNET HAS EVERYTHING!

That seems pretty cool, and I totally want to find out more about this truck (for the main reason of trying to coax friends into the hobby)
pictures would be super awesome!
Here, its on Costco.com http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1
Down in California
RC+Video=LifeCAboy1 Productions and moar
"Enhanced Experiencer"
User Unrelated - 9.24.11, 10:07 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
so... no proportional anything?
I kinda wish I could get my hands on one of these to do some tinkering.

and I just realized you are looking for some 9.6V battery packs...
I have 3 for sale in my thread (2 NiCd's, and 1 NiMh)
I can't vouch for how "good" they are, but they would sure be cheaper than buying a brand new one.