Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
renslip73 - 11.02.11, 7:04 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Well after alot of vids and forum and such.I think I finaly dicided on the losi rather that the durago.Still being quite new to this I'm having problems with the motor termanoligy.I seem to be leaning toward the Tekin 550 with the r8x esc.So whats the dif between the 550 and the 540?Will i have heating issues with the 550 on a 1/8 scale track.should i maybe go with some of the cc stuff.Again heating is my biggest consern exspecialy when paying the big bucks for that Tein and the r8x.whats the dif with the MMP or MMM.whats dif on 1410 and the 1415 people talk about.can't seem to find the 1415? thanxs again.
"Experienced user"
RC*PHREAK - 11.02.11, 9:20 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
yikes! lots of questions there. i'll see if i can pick them out.

-550 motors have a longer can than a 540. 540 motors are typically 50-53mm long. 550's are anywhere from maybe 60-72.
-heat is a function of amp draw. if you gear the motor too high (which will cause a high amp draw), any motor will heat up.
-mmp has sensorless and sensored operation (just like the RX8) and was designed as a 1/10 esc (although it can be used in some 1/8 applications). the MMM runs only sensorless and was made for 1/8 applications.
-1410 is a 3800kv 540 can. the 1415 is a 2400kv 550 can. if you go with a castle motor and will only run 2s lipos, then the 1410 is for you. if you want to run 2s and 3s, the 1415 is a better choice.

if you're set on a sensored 550, i'd rather have a viper VST XL. IMO they are the best sensored 550's out there. if you are looking for a sensored motor, the tekin pro-4 is a great little motor but very expensive. if you don't need a sensored motor, the tenshock SC401 is a 4 pole 550 can that is a great, inexpensive option.
builtrc.com
"Experienced user"
N8racer - 11.04.11, 9:52 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I run the MMP with the 1410 in mine with a fan on the motor! I run 2S Lipos and it it an awesome set up for me. I bought my Losi SCTE the week they first came out! No issues at all!
All we know is that he is called the Stig!!
"just your average user"
mjc597 - 11.05.11, 6:14 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I've got the rx8 with a tekin sc4x 5.5 motor, i run on 2s lipo's (50c discharge and up) and I like it alot..nevr been hot (over146*) and the esc is great cause you can run all different sized lipos and almost any motor with it..
hpi blitz ese
ae ft b4.2
axial wraith
Herd of Turtles Racing
"Experienced user"
Losing - 11.05.11, 10:09 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
RC*PHREAK said
yikes! lots of questions there. i'll see if i can pick them out.

-550 motors have a longer can than a 540. 540 motors are typically 50-53mm long. 550's are anywhere from maybe 60-72.
-heat is a function of amp draw. if you gear the motor too high (which will cause a high amp draw), any motor will heat up.
-mmp has sensorless and sensored operation (just like the RX8) and was designed as a 1/10 esc (although it can be used in some 1/8 applications). the MMM runs only sensorless and was made for 1/8 applications.
-1410 is a 3800kv 540 can. the 1415 is a 2400kv 550 can. if you go with a castle motor and will only run 2s lipos, then the 1410 is for you. if you want to run 2s and 3s, the 1415 is a better choice.

if you're set on a sensored 550, i'd rather have a viper VST XL. IMO they are the best sensored 550's out there. if you are looking for a sensored motor, the tekin pro-4 is a great little motor but very expensive. if you don't need a sensored motor, the tenshock SC401 is a 4 pole 550 can that is a great, inexpensive option.
You can run the 1415 on 2s or 3s but on 2s it does not wake it up, 3s does, besides can size i think that is one of the main differences.
"Experienced user"
renslip73 - 11.05.11, 3:35 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Hey I'd really like to thank u guys for all the info.I'm sure i'm going to have alot more questions to come.I'm going to to be looking into that vst xl.And the track here in town only run with 2s.
"just your average user"
mjc597 - 11.05.11, 5:29 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
well we didnt end up racing today at the track, not many people showed..so we just practiced all day..but i ran a bunch of laps against another losi scte with the rx8 and the 4 pole tekin 4600kv motor..our gearing was different , as well as some others..and my truck isn't geared as high on the pinion as it could be..but when we hit the front stretch side by side a couple times, i got pulled on hard!! one time i went into the front stretch with a good 2 truck lead, and by the first corner (about 100-110') he was a truck n a half ahead of me..LOL ..i could run everywhere else great with him..but the top end was lacking for me..gonna change gears n go at it again..lol if u have the chance..i'ld grab the 4600kv tekin 4 pole..he told me that he had the 4000kv 4 pole tekin, but couldn't find a good gear ratio to keep the temps down..he was usually running about 180* something with no fan, and with a fan i would hover around 160*
hpi blitz ese
ae ft b4.2
axial wraith
Herd of Turtles Racing
"(Custom User Title Here)"
mtrob - 11.06.11, 10:58 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
A 550 has a bigger can and rotor and is made for 1\10 scale 4wd where as 540 is made for 2wd
"Experienced user"
mfcplflo - 11.13.11, 8:43 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
ive had several motors in my scte. I owned the ballistic 550 4.5t, the viper 4.5 xl (550) can motor, the trinity 550 4.5t and now the Tekin pro4 4600 kv.

Trinity 4.5t 550 was an ok motor for this truck lots of top end but lacked torque, also the vents in the can allowed to much dirt in the motor i had to tear down the motor after every race weekend, (out door dusty track)

The viper motor was a good motor, i did feel it lacked in the top end, decent torque.

The ballistic was a good motor also lots of torque and top end, with the stock rotor. i gave that motor to my brother he put in the high toque rotor and it made alot more torque ran cooler and has good top end.

The Tekin pro4 4600 is a beast killer torque and top end, a bit pricey but worth every penny

I would recommend the tekin pro4 if you have the money if not find a used ballistic 550 with the high torque rotor, but make sure you run high quality batteries. i run speed power 5800 55c lipos, the gens ace 5000 40c lipos wouldnt supply enough juice to clear some of the triples on the track
"Experienced user"
renslip73 - 11.14.11, 6:25 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
ok thanks for the info checked them out and they look great,little pricey but whatever.so now the question is weather to go with the 4000 or the 4600.just looking to kick butt next year and have fun doing it.any info going to help thanks.oh ya what you running for esc?