Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"I am the Traxxas Man"
Slash4x4 Man - 12.01.11, 2:21 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
So I am looking at lipo's to buy, finally. And so I was wondering what 2s gens ace I should get. Should I get a 40c or a 50c, or a 65c? And what power would I expect from them?
Slash 4x4, Slash
Check out my youtube channel TheTraxxasRCGuy's
"These Pretzels !"
crusey_aus - 12.01.11, 2:52 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
What motor are gearing are you planning to run ?

Motors make power not batteries

Cheers

Slash Plati
num
Xerun 150, Tenshock SC401 (3500kv)

Gensace 5000mah 40c

"Experienced user"
traxxasjunkie - 12.01.11, 2:57 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
i just bought a 3s 5000mah 40c gens ace lipo for my slash 4x4 and i love it. with my slipper adjusted perfectly, my diff. fluid just right. it picks the front tires off the ground about half a inch as soon as u squeeze the trigger. and im running the stock velineon system.
electric man
"Experienced user"
BobT - 12.01.11, 3:14 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
The quick answer is: "The highest C rating you can afford."

The higher the C rating the more amperage.
amperage = torque
The higher the torque the faster the car/truck acelerates.
(Last edited by BobT : 12.01.11 at 3:18 pm)
Bob T
Support your local hobby shop.
THE USER'S MANUAL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR VEHICLE.
"I am the Traxxas Man"
Slash4x4 Man - 12.01.11, 3:39 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I am running the stock vxl system
Slash 4x4, Slash
"Experienced user"
Dr.J - 12.02.11, 2:43 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
BobT has the best answer here, the highest you can afford. I would think 40c would be fine. I think the higher C rating will actually help lower temps a bit compared to a lower C rating. Just a tad though. Your gonna love the difference lipos make!
"These Pretzels !"
crusey_aus - 12.02.11, 6:40 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Buying the highest discharge 'c' rated packs you can afford is not the correct response

The labelling of lipo packs has become a joke and nothing more than marketing spin

Cost of a pack is no indication of quality or performance

Very few cells able to be discharged at 60c and above while maintaining voltage and temperature

60c means the pack goes from fully charged to empty (20% remaining) in 48 seconds

Plenty of higher spec labelled packs are no better than lower end ones

If you seriously think buying a 100c labelled pack is going to give you bang for buck over a very good 40c pack you are mistaken

Most 1/10 or 1/8 motors will burst well under 200 amps

That means a 5000mah 40c (200 amp rated) pack if accurate would be plenty

If you get 15 minutes runtime out of a 5000mah sized pack your average amp draw is only 16 amps

Racers will tell you pack X is better than pack Y

Truth is most have no evidence apart from "it feels faster"

Half of them are sponsored by battery companies so therefore they have no choice but to say the pack they use is the best

Do plenty of research is the best answer

Buy a device that measures a lipo cell's IR (Internal Resistance) and compare a few different brands

The results will surprise you

Cheers
(Last edited by crusey_aus : 12.03.11 at 4:06 am)

Slash Plati
num
Xerun 150, Tenshock SC401 (3500kv)

Gensace 5000mah 40c

"I am the Traxxas Man"
Slash4x4 Man - 12.03.11, 2:42 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Thank you for taking the time guys! I think I will stick with the 40c.
Slash 4x4, Slash
"Uninexperienced User"
seth556 - 12.04.11, 3:13 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
If all batteries were labeled the same, higher C is better. Do some research and pick a battery that has results to back it up. ie, don't buy a -[b][DISALLOWED LANGUAGE re-read the forum rules][/b]--[b][DISALLOWED LANGUAGE re-read the forum rules][/b]--[b][DISALLOWED LANGUAGE re-read the forum rules][/b]--[b][DISALLOWED LANGUAGE re-read the forum rules][/b]--[b][DISALLOWED LANGUAGE re-read the forum rules][/b]--[b][DISALLOWED LANGUAGE re-read the forum rules][/b]--[b][DISALLOWED LANGUAGE re-read the forum rules][/b]- just because it says 150c. Plenty of choices, a lot are good, some aren't.

I love my HVR batteries, lots of power. But depending on where and how you're running, you won't notice much difference between a lot of batteries.
--High Velocity Racing--
"Servos win races!"
stock slash - 12.04.11, 5:09 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
I run GensAce 2s 40c and it is all the battery I need for race. Plenty of power and it doesnt tear up a bunch of stuff. f you have never ran a lipo, it will amaze you the difference between Lipos and Nickels....night and day.
2wd Slash-LCG, PROTRAC.
KYOSHO Inferno (race spec) VE
Team Associated B4
LOSI Ten-SCTE
LOSI XXX SCT