Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 12.31.11, 11:02 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I got tired of the screw at the botom of the caster blocks falling out so i decided to build my own out of steel.
Evolution of Caster Blocks

Close up

They are not done yet but i will finish soon whenever i go to DocI's house

Also sorry for the bad pictures cell phone camera will use the real one next time

Hazard
(Last edited by hazardouschurch : 1.02.12 at 9:24 pm)
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 12.31.11, 11:27 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Mmm, steel.

There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 1.01.12, 12:00 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
It weighs double the strc one with the steering knuckle and bolts on it.... for now anyways needs some trimming
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 1.03.12, 9:57 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
So today i was making the other side caster block and i was like im soooooo...... close lets get them done. This was after i called DocI and asked where best placement for holes and he reminded me the 1/8" is really close to M3 which is what we use on the front so i was like i have a 1/8" drill bit not having any metric so i decided to finish everything but the camber link holes and finishing the sanding the neighbors dont like it when i use my belt sander at 10pm....
Evolution

Evolution

BEEFY

Right lock

Left lock

Showing the steering block placement the whole reason to build them in the first place

Needs trimming rubbing the bent rims

Left Lock with wheels
"Experienced user"
RallySoob - 1.03.12, 10:22 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
ghetto fabulous. i like it. doesn't have to look good to work but does it work? let us know how that one of kind situation works out for you after some hits...just curious; its interesting
"Life is for living...not for living up tight"
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 1.03.12, 10:22 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Forgot to say that I will finish the sanding tomorrow and get the remaining bolts to finish will probably have a video soon showing the difference of the positions
"Experienced user"
Isaacstaco - 1.03.12, 10:31 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Can I have your STRC ones? lol
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 1.04.12, 7:09 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
The strc ones are DocI's sorry

They Have no flex what so ever im planning on leaving at least an 1/8" after screw holes so it should be stronger than the aluminum ever was not saying aluminum is not strong just that i didn't like the design of the caster blocks they sucked i got my slash on christmas and i had already had one bolt fall out of it and had seen them fall out for the 6 months prior to the slash on DocI's loaner truck. so i being the typical engineering type was like i could do that better and have more adjustability. i could have switched to blitz caster blocks/ carriers but there was no adjustment there either and the parts suport for traxxas is immense so I went with traxxas.

Also I know they dont look good.... remind me to never get on the other end of a plasma cutter. I dont have too much practice on the plasma cutter or welding so it was a good practice project for me. I will be more careful on the next set these are just like prototypes to see if i could do it i will probably just put them in the parts bin when im done or give them to DocI to put on a loaner truck....

Anyways they will clean up I might have to just fill some holes or something to get it there but the finished product should be better. working on small stuff is harder than the real thing when making parts and brackets and grinding and such....... Now I hate my file......
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 1.04.12, 11:52 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
All Pretty....
FYI not done yet i dont quite understand the camber link hole and i need more bolt to finish it so im gonna go to DocI's house later this week to finish them also i have the craptastic dremel battery powered version and it doesn't like steel. So the inside edge is not done i dont wanna file anymore...

"Experienced user"
FireFrenzy - 1.04.12, 12:02 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
as said previously absolutely ghettofab... Also totally beefy looking... Always nice to have DocI on your think tank!

(although it's liable to turn into a think abrahams if you let him drive to much:P)