Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
wisemonkey - 1.06.12, 8:15 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I just got my brand new slash 4x4 out in the driveway and I noticed at very low speeds that the drive shaft makes a clicking noise until it gets moving. Is this normal?

It appears to be just the turning of the shaft but I am curious if this is common for other owners.
"California Burrito"
sammichmanjr - 1.06.12, 8:42 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
It's normal.
dglewis89 said
You're weird. We'd be good friends.
theJANG said
I sense significant misinformation very close to my post.
theJANG said
everybody said I was a stupid idiot who needed to shut the hell up & go away. Nice.
"But Its Front-wheel drive....."
Kelton - 1.06.12, 9:27 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
The Traxxas slash 4x4 is slightly underpowered in stock form, so the "clicking" noise you're hearing is probably some cogging, which it will do at very low RPMs; That is until the motor turns fast enough to make entire rotations past each magnet in the motor to make smooth turns. Yes, it is normal.
The 1st amendment is the reason why you can yell theater in a crowed fire.
"Experienced user"
wisemonkey - 1.06.12, 9:41 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info. Reading all of these posts has gotten me paranoid!!!
"Experienced user"
Markcigar - 1.06.12, 9:46 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
You should be paranoid ...we are all watching you...lol
"you can only be young once- but you can be immature forever!
"Just Chillen!"
guys2nv - 1.06.12, 9:50 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Most likely the center shaft moving backwards on acceleration but I'd double check your rear center hub adapter (the splined piece attached to the slipper shaft) And make sure the set screw is tight. It will click through out the whole range of speed's though so I doubt that is the issue.
| Serpent 811T-E | Tamiya TRF 801XT-E |
| Hyper 9e | Slash 4x4 STRC LCG |
| Stampede 4x4 | Stampede | Blitz |
| Futaba 4PLS Controls 'em All |

"Experienced user"
96mudder - 1.06.12, 9:52 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
whats a good upgrade for a motor while keeping the stock esc
"Just Chillen!"
guys2nv - 1.06.12, 9:56 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
You're limited to 2 pole only motor's so I would just keep the stock motor until your ready to buy a new esc.

If you really want another motor then Tacon's 3650 or 3660 size will work or if you want to use the sensored capability of the VXL-3s then something like a speed passion cirtix 3000kv will work to.
| Serpent 811T-E | Tamiya TRF 801XT-E |
| Hyper 9e | Slash 4x4 STRC LCG |
| Stampede 4x4 | Stampede | Blitz |
| Futaba 4PLS Controls 'em All |

"Title: "Custom User""
Bash_404error - 1.06.12, 10:21 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
guys2nv said
If you really want another motor then Tacon's 3650 or 3660 size will work or if you want to use the sensored capability of the VXL-3s then something like a speed passion cirtix 3000kv will work to.
Did not know it had Sensored capabilities. It's not really talked too much, is it good or bad? Does the Slash 4x4 benefit from a Sensored motor?
"Experienced user"
96mudder - 1.06.12, 10:29 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Bash_404error said
Did not know it had Sensored capabilities. It's not really talked too much, is it good or bad? Does the Slash 4x4 benefit from a Sensored motor?
Yes what exactly do you see a difference in with senders motors and the esc could stay the same?