Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
DiamondbuffaloE - 1.19.12, 2:40 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I recently purchased an ECX Torment and love it. However, I want a better battery than the stock Nimh 7.2v 1800mah to power my new motor I ordered.The ESC on my Torment can run 2S lipos, but there is no LVC(low voltage cutoff) for lipos. So, should I purchase a LVC for lipo batteries or go with 8.4V nimh batteries(also compatible with the Torment)? Also, if I should get a LVC for lipo batteries, which one would work for my torment? Thanks, I'm new to RC's
"Experienced user"
MY750 - 1.20.12, 9:37 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
I think you need a different charger to run lipo..( i am trying to figure this all out too since i am new to it) it is recommended a lvc be installed but some run it w/o one from what i understand
ECX Torment....Noob 2 the Game!!

2003 yellow gsxr 750. the air bender
"Title: "Custom User""
Bash_404error - 1.20.12, 9:55 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Actually I've read several places that the dynamite does have a LVC, but it's set rather low. You can also use a cheaper LVA (low voltage alarm) that beeps quite loudly to tell you it's running low.

Better is subjective... Lipo will give you more run time, and is lighter, and you get more constant level of power throughout your fun, vs Nimh start strong and tapper off quite steadily after that. But you don't need a new charger or to watch the voltage....

You do need a different charger to get started with Lipos. Look at the Thunder AC6 at Hobbypartz. Good price and good features.

Hope this helps.
"Experienced user"
MY750 - 1.20.12, 11:00 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Bash_404error said
Actually I've read several places that the dynamite does have a LVC, but it's set rather low. You can also use a cheaper LVA (low voltage alarm) that beeps quite loudly to tell you it's running low.

Better is subjective... Lipo will give you more run time, and is lighter, and you get more constant level of power throughout your fun, vs Nimh start strong and tapper off quite steadily after that. But you don't need a new charger or to watch the voltage....

You do need a different charger to get started with Lipos. Look at the Thunder AC6 at Hobbypartz. Good price and good features.

Hope this helps.
thnx... yes i might just do a 15t motor with better plugs and get several 3000 batteries for the time being. can i run a 5000 battery for longer run times and a 15t motor with no other mods??/ i want just a little more speed...lol

Bash_404error - 1.20.12, 11:10 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
5000 batt with 15t motor, no mods should be needed. Just watch your motor temps to see if you need to adjust the gearing. And make sure you set the Gear mesh properly when installing the motor. (ECX has a video on it).

If you want more speed with ZERO Mods, then just get a 8.4 - 7 Cell Nimh battery vs the 7.2 included battery. you will see about 3-5 mph increase in top speed. Wheelies like crazy after i did that to my ruckus.
"Experienced user"
MY750 - 1.20.12, 11:20 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Bash_404error said
5000 batt with 15t motor, no mods should be needed. Just watch your motor temps to see if you need to adjust the gearing. And make sure you set the Gear mesh properly when installing the motor. (ECX has a video on it).

If you want more speed with ZERO Mods, then just get a 8.4 - 7 Cell Nimh battery vs the 7.2 included battery. you will see about 3-5 mph increase in top speed. Wheelies like crazy after i did that to my ruckus.
awesome i will look into a 8.4 7 cell... 5000... i was looking at a infrared temperature gun...40 bux wow do i atleast need to change the battery plug and ECS plug to hold the current? sorry for all the ????
(Last edited by MY750 : 1.20.12 at 11:22 am)

Bash_404error - 1.20.12, 11:23 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
MY750 said
awesome i will look into a 8.4 7 cell... 5000... i was looking at a infrared temperature gun...40 bux wow do i atleast need to change the battery plug and ECS plug to hold the current? sorry for all the ????
Billdelong uses one from harbour fregiht? I bought mine off of Ebay and has work really well. Temp gun that is.
"Experienced user"
DiamondbuffaloE - 1.20.12, 11:31 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the help! I'm going to be buying a Gens Ace 5000mah 7.4v 2s lipo with a thunder ac6 charger also a lva and some deans ultra plugs to solder onto everything! Also I'm getting my 15T speed gems motor in tomorrow and will use the water break in process! Thanks
Bash_404error - 1.20.12, 11:41 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
One more thing to note is that I would recommend loosening up your slipper clutch a little bit. With the increase of power and increased Motor it can do a wonder to your tranny and drive shafts.

You will soon see why the top two upgrades are the VXL Drive shafts and the Metal Tranny.

Loosening up the slipper will help you prolong your current setup as it will lessen the impact to your tranny. You may not get as many wheelies but you will be running stock longer.

Cheers and enjoy! Welcome to URC
"Experienced user"
MY750 - 1.20.12, 1:55 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Bash_404error said
One more thing to note is that I would recommend loosening up your slipper clutch a little bit. With the increase of power and increased Motor it can do a wonder to your tranny and drive shafts.

You will soon see why the top two upgrades are the VXL Drive shafts and the Metal Tranny.

Loosening up the slipper will help you prolong your current setup as it will lessen the impact to your tranny. You may not get as many wheelies but you will be running stock longer.

Cheers and enjoy! Welcome to URC
Keep me posted as i would love to see or hear the power diffrence