Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"your Loco friend from Baja"
steelfish - 2.24.12, 10:02 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
well I know most of you use Lipos but since my kids use the Car more than me I dont want to let them deal with lipos yet.
anyway, sometimes the Ruckus is used just on weekends and I dont know if I need to storage the batteries full charged, discharge them completely or just leave them with the charge is left after bashing.
Also, can I charge them 1 day before to use them again or its better to charge them minutes before to use them?
Baja HB D8T-E **** Baja Nexx10sc *** Baja Wraith *** Baja Ruckus *** Baja Smash
Baja, Mexico
/ California, USA
"bring me a shrubbery"
Ratrodsuzuki - 2.25.12, 7:32 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
battery suggestions will vary, as everyone has their way (which is always the best way), so i will throw my advice in here.

if your rc gets run on a regular basis, every week, every two weeks, storage care really isnt needed. if it is going to sit for a while (maybe during winter for some ppl) i suggest charging and discharging your battery once a month. i have done this since i started in this hobby and i have batteries from when i started that still work great....

as for you and the ruckus....charging the day before is fine, but to get the best performance batteries (nimh/nicd) should be charged just prior to use. batteries are at the best fresh of the charger. so the smaller the gap, the better. the longer your nimh/nicd sits, before being used, the more voltage and performance it loses.
dustyhubsrc.com
☆breaking rc cars since 2001☆

"Experienced user"
Dreamtheatre - 2.25.12, 7:44 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Ratrodsuzuki said
battery suggestions will vary, as everyone has their way (which is always the best way).
^Boy is that the truth!

I agree with Ratrod. I use both Nimhs and Lipos and I treat my Nimhs just as he posted and they've been fine. A charger that has a display that shows how much MaH they are taking can really help if you're concerned about the health of your batteries. If I do have one that's a bit "off", discharge/charge cycling it a few times usually wakes it up.
You have to be young and stupid before you can be old and wise...
"Experienced user"
JroX - 2.25.12, 4:42 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
NiMH batteries have very high self-discharge as well. You will definitely want to use them as immediately as you can after charging. It just ensures the best power delivery and runtimes. They drop quite a bit of charge even after sitting for as little as 30 minutes after charging.

Cheers
60% of the time, it works every time.
"your Loco friend from Baja"
steelfish - 2.26.12, 6:29 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Ratrodsuzuki said
if your rc gets run on a regular basis, every week, every two weeks, storage care really isnt needed. ................
........... so the smaller the gap, the better..
cool, that all I need it to know

Dreamtheatre said
....A charger that has a display that shows how much MaH they are taking can really help if you're concerned about the health of your batteries....
actually my charger always shows 9.6 or 10.4 on my 8.4v nimh, I know on Nimh always shows bit higher that the actual amp of the battery so im good so far.

thanks
Baja HB D8T-E **** Baja Nexx10sc *** Baja Wraith *** Baja Ruckus *** Baja Smash
Baja, Mexico
/ California, USA
"most useless user"
Fiero_Man_121 - 2.26.12, 6:36 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
JroX said
NiMH batteries have very high self-discharge as well. You will definitely want to use them as immediately as you can after charging. It just ensures the best power delivery and runtimes. They drop quite a bit of charge even after sitting for as little as 30 minutes after charging.

Cheers
i dont necessarily agree with that. nimhs dont like that, they need to cool down for a bit between charge and discharge. you also want to make sure they stay under 120f after a charge or discharge.

ill agree with ratrod as well as far as the very basics go.
Florida D.O. Racer | Vintage traxxas collector
Brands i choose to support [amongst others]:
SPC Lipo batteries McAllister Racing Bodies Kipps hobbies
"Experienced user"
Catfish - 2.26.12, 6:58 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm

They several different brands of NIMH batteries and the storage and case of each.
Seems not all to be stored the same way.
So I can't honestly say how I would do it.
I just pulled out a 3300mah pack that has been laying on the shelf for a year
and charged it and the boy ran it in his torment without issue.

From another site.
http://www.camlight.com/techinfo/techtips.html

Storing your cells
NiCd and NiMH cells can be safely stored for very long periods of time if you follow these procedures:
Always remove a NiCd or NiMH battery pack from the device that uses it before storing the pack.
Occasionally discharge your packs down to 0.9V/cell or, if possible, individually down to zero volts per cell (anything below 0.8V is essentially completely discharged). A charged pack that is allowed to self-discharge is subject to large crystal formation and voltage depression when used again.
Do not exceed 85F. (30C.) during storage. Keeping the temperature a lot lower is preferable, but do not go below 32F. (0C.). A lot of NiCd/NiMH battery pack users have very successfully stored their packs in the refrigerator or freezer but we feel that the need for air-tight wrapping and the inconvenience when thawing out the packs isn't worth the trouble. Lower temperatures slow down the self-discharge rate of the cells but we recommend cycling the cells every few weeks. Balance the possible benefits of long-term storage (without worrying about self-discharge) against any possible inconvenience when thawing out the packs and choose the storage method that works for you. You'll be fine either way.
Store the cells in an air-tight container or other packaging to prevent condensation if the cells need to come up to room temperature after storage (and before using them). Some cells can be stored (and used) at very low temperatures, down to -40F. (-40C.). Check the data sheet of the manufacturer of your cells to be sure.
To use the cells after they've been stored, perform a slow 0.1C-rate charge and 1C-rate discharge before charging again normally and using them. If the cells have not been conditioned every 3-4 weeks during storage, you may need to cycle them this way up to 3-4 times before the cells regain their rated capacity.
You'll often see advice to store NiMH cells partially charged. But, we've been storing all of our NiMH packs discharged to 0.9V/cell between uses and haven't damaged any cells or measured any loss in capacity or reduced voltage under load. In addition, none of the major cell manufacturers that discuss storage of their NiMH cells say that a partial charge is needed. In fact, most state that they can be stored discharged.

The only sure reason we know of for storing NiMH packs partially charged is that certain chargers won't start if the voltage of the cells is below a certain level. Since NiMH cells self-discharge faster than NiCd cells, there's a chance that these chargers might not charge a NiMH pack that hasn't been used or cycled in a while. We don't recommend buying one of these chargers as they prevent you from slowly charging over-discharged packs or packs that haven't been used in a long time.

But, with all of the conflicting information available on the Web, we decided to do a test. After charging and 2-stage discharging three different 10-cell NiMH battery packs to 0.9V/cell (cycled 3 times), we stored all three packs for 8 weeks at room temperature. After 8 weeks had elapsed, the following pack voltages (no load) were measured; 11.71V, 11.79V, 12.32V. No individual cell had dropped below 1.0V.

Based on these tests, cell manufacturer recommendations and our experience over the years using various NiMH battery packs here at CamLight Systems (and always discharging them to 0.9V/cell before storage), we have the following recommendations:
If you're storing a NiMH battery pack for a month or less, discharge it to 0.9V/cell. No need to partially charge it before storing it.
If you're storing a NiMH battery pack for longer than a month and you own a charger that will not start if the voltage of the cells has dropped too far, and you don't want to cycle the pack every month or so, discharge the pack to 0.9V/cell and partially charge it (about 10%). When you're ready to use the pack again, you will probably need to cycle it at least once to restore its capacity and voltage under load.
If you're storing a NiMH battery pack for longer than a month and you have a charger that won't prevent you from charging when the pack is below a certain voltage, just cycle the packs every 4 weeks or so. This helps to condition the cells and makes it easier to bring the packs back up to their rated capacity and voltage under load when you're ready to use them.
"Experienced user"
JroX - 2.26.12, 8:51 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Fiero_Man_121 said
i dont necessarily agree with that. nimhs dont like that, they need to cool down for a bit between charge and discharge. you also want to make sure they stay under 120f after a charge or discharge.

ill agree with ratrod as well as far as the very basics go.
Yeah you're absolutely right, Fiero. Now that I re-read what I wrote, I don't necessarily agree with it 100% either, LoL.

I always forget about the cool-down period because I charge my batteries in the garage where it's about 55 degrees. On top of that I use heat-sinks and fans to keep my cells cool when charging. Mine always come off the charger about 65 to 70 degrees because of that, and I just throw em right in and run because they are nice and cool.

They do get pretty warm after a run as I don't have the heat-sinks on them when driving. I do let them cool before recharging again though, for sure.

As far as self-discharge, they absolutely have a high rate of that. I have hooked my batteries to a volt meter and watched them drop off 100ths of a volt every few seconds. Over time they will lose a good amount of their charge which is why I ensure they stay nice and cool so I can run them immediately after charging.. Just my practices though.

Cheers
60% of the time, it works every time.
"Experienced user"
AMA4Life - 2.26.12, 8:54 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Long term NiMh storage:
(short version)

About once a month check voltage.
if below 1.25 v/cell... put it on the charger.
40+ years flying FF, CL, RC
Intermittent RC car ops

My Sport Werks Chaos .050 glow still runs, needs clutch reline again.
"Vacationing user"
Basher 339 - 2.26.12, 9:07 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
When you do a discharge/charge cycle how low do you drop the voltage on a 7 cell NIMH?