Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Bboy - 3.31.12, 3:48 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hey Guys, I recently bought the Leonis and have been having problems with the rear cup joint (the one going in the rear diff). It keeps wearing within 10 mins of running, I have used 3 of them!!
Anybody else having this problem? As there are no hop up parts I have used a TB03 steel cup.

Love to hear from you!
Thanks
"MST/Tamiya Fanboy"
Chiefy 707 - 7.19.12, 6:37 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Sorry I can't help you Bboy but by bumping this thread hopefully someone else can see this. Then again your post was like 4 months ago! Did you find what was wrong? Care to share what's cool and what sucks regarding this car?

I'm really interested in getting this chassis. Itching to buy a new car not now but right now! Came close to getting the DB01R but that car is getting the discontinued treatment so now I'm really looking into the DB02. Can it handle a high powered brushless setup?

Kinda worries me how this car has been out a few months now and there's not much out there about it. The Durga seemed to be the Justin Bieber of RC when it was 1st released.
If it resembles something else: "It's just a [insert car here] clone. [Insert company name here] needs to be original"

If it's a completely all new design: "It'll never work. It's just too different. [Insert company name here] needs to stick with what works"
"Experienced user"
Bboy - 7.19.12, 6:56 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Chiefy,

Hey man, luckily Tamiya released steel cup joints and have since replaced them. I have a 5.5 turn peak racing brushless motor using a 2S Lipo. It goes well, but recently had trouble at the rear cup joint. The pin holding the cup on the shaft came out and I cannot find the correct shaft at my local hobby shops. I may have to cut my 10mm one.

Bear in mind there are not many hop ups for this car yet. But it is great as it is, and with some oil filled diffs and other hop ups it would be great.

oh and another thing, I cannot fit a fan onto my motor because the receiver is in the way!! Looking into another position.
"Experienced user"
laferlita2007 - 7.19.12, 8:47 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Bboy said
Chiefy,

Hey man, luckily Tamiya released steel cup joints and have since replaced them. I have a 5.5 turn peak racing brushless motor using a 2S Lipo. It goes well, but recently had trouble at the rear cup joint. The pin holding the cup on the shaft came out and I cannot find the correct shaft at my local hobby shops. I may have to cut my 10mm one.

Bear in mind there are not many hop ups for this car yet. But it is great as it is, and with some oil filled diffs and other hop ups it would be great.

oh and another thing, I cannot fit a fan onto my motor because the receiver is in the way!! Looking into another position.
Sounds good Bboy, 5.5T brushless motor on 2s lipo.
I would use the Optional Slipper Clutch set.....that would help for sure (if set right)

So it's been only the rear diff cup issues, with that brushless set up?

Also any photo's for us to see
"MST/Tamiya Fanboy"
Chiefy 707 - 7.19.12, 10:47 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I was watching IconicRC's 2nd Leonis video on Youtube and in the comments he stated after the vid was made the car stopped running because something in the drivetrain broke.

*cue Bruce from Family Guy* "Ooh noooh!"
If it resembles something else: "It's just a [insert car here] clone. [Insert company name here] needs to be original"

If it's a completely all new design: "It'll never work. It's just too different. [Insert company name here] needs to stick with what works"
"Experienced user"
mv75 - 7.19.12, 11:14 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
For those little pins, I just bought a pack of tamiya spares that come with 10 little 2x10mm shafts. I then just dremeled one shorter for an 8mm shaft as it seems you can't buy them seperately.

Really seems like a slipper would have saved that rear cup issue. Sucks it's not standard equipment yet on these. I'll just wait for any xv01 breaking stories. At least it's an option part, but really, they should have ditched the silver can motor and put a slipper kit in instead. I mean, they include that motor, but no esc for it, it's even more useless than what it is because if you're going to spring the cash for a teu104 or 101, you would put the same amount of cash on a brushless esc instead.
"Experienced user"
Bboy - 7.20.12, 4:23 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I ordered a slipper clutch when i built it, i never ran it without one. I always thought there was some resistance in the rear drive train, but checked.
I thought maybe just too much power...

I will get some photos uploaded for you guys!
"Experienced user"
Bboy - 7.20.12, 4:27 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
mv75 said
For those little pins, I just bought a pack of tamiya spares that come with 10 little 2x10mm shafts. I then just dremeled one shorter for an 8mm shaft as it seems you can't buy them seperately.

Really seems like a slipper would have saved that rear cup issue. Sucks it's not standard equipment yet on these. I'll just wait for any xv01 breaking stories. At least it's an option part, but really, they should have ditched the silver can motor and put a slipper kit in instead. I mean, they include that motor, but no esc for it, it's even more useless than what it is because if you're going to spring the cash for a teu104 or 101, you would put the same amount of cash on a brushless esc instead.
In Japan no motor was included with the leonis, which is interesting!
"Experienced user"
mv75 - 7.20.12, 4:36 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Yea, the ball diffs can give some feeling of resistance. But you also have to custom shim them in too. The manual is not always right as they can differ between every model. The part where it has the shims as 2x 10x0.3 on the long side and the 10x0.3 on the soft side that go on where the 1510 bearings go could be just a bit too tight.

I bought Tamiya 53588 shim set. It comes with 10x 0.1, 10 x 0.2 and 10x 0.3mm shims. So ten of each (30 all up). Makes for good fine custom adjustments. Works across many models too.

(Included motor), Yea, I think they do that for many models. Outside of Japan they always include it. I forget exactly why, but I think it's to make the kits more "value added" for their foreign markets.
(Last edited by mv75 : 7.20.12 at 4:39 am)
"Experienced user"
Bboy - 7.20.12, 5:06 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
laferlita2007 said
Sounds good Bboy, 5.5T brushless motor on 2s lipo.
I would use the Optional Slipper Clutch set.....that would help for sure (if set right)

So it's been only the rear diff cup issues, with that brushless set up?

Also any <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">photo</a>'s for us to see
Yes indeed, the cup joint where the drive shaft goes into the rear diff. Other than that no problems.
And you, what is your setup?