Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
scha0786 - 4.17.12, 8:08 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
hi,

I am new to the sport and looking to get into the lipo batteries. Who makes a good 3s lipo battery for the traxxas slash 2wd for a reasonable price. Not a racer, just a backyard basher.

What is the lowest C rating I can go, i thought I read 20C somewhere?

Also, I will need a charger, thinking the ONYX 235 from tower is ok.

Finally, since I am running the lipo battery I was thinking of swapping my gearing to keep my motor cool.

19/90? or 19/86?

thanks for the help
"Experienced user"
erevo1*16 - 4.17.12, 12:28 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
if you want to actually keep the motor and esc cool...

19/90 on 3s with stock tires will net you about 37mph. it should be fine. but depending on outside temps... you'll still want to keep an eye on things.

The following brands of Lipo's generally have good reviews for general use:
Gens Ace
Ski Lipo
SPC
Turnigy

The C rate: you want to get as large a pack as you can justify to spend the money on.

I am making an assumption, but if you are talking about 3s, it sounds like you have a VXL???

If you are in fact running with a VXL system, I'd try to get a lipo pack that has at least a 150Amp rating.

To calculate the Amp capabilities of a general pack: Multiply the Cap (in Ah, not mAh... just move the decimal to after the first number. so a 5000mAh pack is a 5.0) by the "C" rate.

so a 5000mAh 20C pack is a 100Amp pack... (5.0*20=100)might be a bit weak.
but a 4400mAh 40C pack is rated for 176Amps (4.4*40=176)

A lot of guys like to run a 5000mAh 40C pack.
My Tastes are simple:
I am easily satisfied with the best.
-Sir Winston Churchill
"Experienced user"
scha0786 - 4.17.12, 8:07 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
yeah on our track I am lucky to hit 20 mph. its a really short and tight course.

I do have the VXL series.

I borrowed my buddies 5000mah, 40C 3s lipo battery and ran for like 20 mins of straight bashing.

Took a temp gun to my motor and it was really hot like 190F!!!!

So I am correct by dropping pinion teeth and raising the spur gear teeth in order to drop motor temps.

thanks

Edit: how about this setup?

http://www.rcplanet.com/DuraTrax_LiP...6-dtxp4245.htm
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 4.17.12, 11:21 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
its ok just cant charge above 3s boo i sugest thunder ac6 for charger and lipo is lipo anything will do for the most part besides cough max (bleep)(bleep)(bleep)(bleep)(bleep)(bleep)(bleep) apmz
CARNAGE
"Experienced user"
erevo1*16 - 4.18.12, 5:02 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
yes, smaller pinion, and larger spur, lower temps, and lower top speed.

I would also recommend the thunder AC6. I love mine, $45. and the sky lipo's that irun are the 4400 40c. they are like $25or so when they are in stock...
My Tastes are simple:
I am easily satisfied with the best.
-Sir Winston Churchill
"Experienced user"
scha0786 - 4.18.12, 5:46 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
thanks for the tip guys!

i am really excited about going to lipo's, the truck is like a whole new beast
"Experienced user"
FSM - 4.18.12, 10:07 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I know traxxas and venom stand behind there batteries with good warranty. How well do other brands warranty hold up?
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 4.18.12, 11:10 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
they are all the same.... with minor differences in runtime like a minute or so
CARNAGE
"Experienced user"
scha0786 - 4.18.12, 9:23 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
changed my mind, I am going with this setup, 5000mah with 25C 3s lipo

http://www.rcplanet.com/DuraTrax_LiP...6-dtxp4230.htm

I want to spend some money on other stuff.

aluminum tranny, shock upgrades, extra pinions and extra RPM parts to have on hand for when I break stuff.

Does the aluminum tranny help keep the motor temps down? I notice they make a motor heat sink plate too, does that work? and does that work with the stock plastic case?

thanks for the help, I am such a noob at this sport
"Don't pet a burning dog..."
Frostman - 4.18.12, 9:34 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
scha0786 said
changed my mind, I am going with this setup, 5000mah with 25C 3s lipo

http://www.rcplanet.com/DuraTrax_LiP...6-dtxp4230.htm

I want to spend some money on other stuff.

aluminum tranny, shock upgrades, extra pinions and extra RPM parts to have on hand for when I break stuff.

Does the aluminum tranny help keep the motor temps down? I notice they make a motor heat sink plate too, does that work? and does that work with the stock plastic case?

thanks for the help, I am such a noob at this sport
You should be able to get a couple batteries and a charger for that price.

On hobbypartz.com you can get a Thunder AC6 Charger, and 2 3S 40C 4000mah Lipos for $118 and free shipping.

The charger is more versatile, its the same one most of us use. And you get two batteries for the price of 1.

Its your $ to burn, but thats what I would do...
Axial Wraith "Rock Punisher", UGC Fastback II AX-10, SCX-10 Chevy, Losi Trail Trekker, Associated RC8.2e, F-350 Mattzilla Truggy, CPE Barbarian MT, Latrax Alias, Heli-Max 1SQ, Hubsan X4 V2
....I am a hopeless addict....