Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
nicholask1993 - 4.28.12, 10:50 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
All of the hype and positive feedback for the sub $100 ZD Racing buggy has sparked my interest in the truggy.

I'm seriously considering this for bashing (nothing crazy) and for track driving.

I've found several websites where I can purchase it anywhere from $200-350 shipped which isn't a bad deal at all considering all of the good reviews the buggy has and the few good reviews the truggy has.

The main thing that has me worriers parts support and durability. I've yet to see any feedback from anyone who has put it through its paces bashing. As for parts support I've come across several websites that stock pretty much every part for the truggy. What has me worried is how do I know that the parts are in good supply and that they won't sell out in a few months and stay sold out...

Though I would likely end up buying a second truggy a month or so after buying the first to part out the electronics and other stuff I don need for parts I would like assurance that parts will be around for a while.
Losi XXX-SCT -- Stock Class Racer
Check put my Flickr account for quality RC Photos (nicholask1993)
"Experienced user"
nicholask1993 - 4.29.12, 8:56 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Anyone?
"Paddle Tire"
Pyro - 4.29.12, 11:43 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
They are too few to really be known right now. Of the few of us who own ZD cars, few have the truggy, and even fewer have broken anything that cannot be replaced locally. At least, nothing that I'm aware of. I've cartwheeled my buggy a few times with no issues, and hit a tree at relatively low speed. Not really a good durability test.

If parts support is something that you are truly worried about, ZD Racing may not be the brand for you. At least for now. With ay luck, they will become more mainstream. With the RTR kit as good as it is, they could give a lot of companies trouble.
Losi 8ight-TE 2.0, OFNA Hyper Sprint E-conversion, Losi e-LST XXL, Losi 8ight-E 2.0, Team Durango DESC210, Quanum Vandal
"Experienced user"
DavidFuchser - 4.30.12, 5:47 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Still waiting for an x802 to put in there. Then I might go 6s. So far the big negative of any of these zd kits is the motors, they suck. The big unknown for me personally is the quality of steel in the drivetrain. It could be the difference between this being the best deal ever or just another piece of trash.
(Last edited by DavidFuchser : 4.30.12 at 5:50 am)
"Experienced user"
nicholask1993 - 5.02.12, 8:42 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
DavidFuchser said
Still waiting for an x802 to put in there. Then I might go 6s. So far the big negative of any of these zd kits is the motors, they suck. The big unknown for me personally is the quality of steel in the drivetrain. It could be the difference between this being the best deal ever or just another piece of trash.
Looking forward to hearing back with results...
"Experienced user"
Cheyman - 5.07.12, 10:50 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
After taking my ZRT to the races Saturday about the only thing that I found bad in the system is the cheap steering servo. It had all the speed and durability on 20 foot jumps but could not make the fast interchanges on the left and right corners. Looking to upgrade the servo to either a HiTech 7955 or JR9100T...also looking at the Savox. Other than the weak steering I give it a thumbs up.
"Experienced user"
DavidFuchser - 5.08.12, 4:54 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Well, after about 6 full runs the center and rear diffs are trashed. Even my exceed madbeast has better reliability. To make things even better the hex hardware is of such a high quality that roughly half will strip requiring the use of a screw extractor. The upper arm turnbuckles are bent from some minor cartwheeling action. Not impressed. These are trash kits as far as I am concerned, despite the low price. I have a 4s truggy, 3s buggy, and the 1/16 truck. Make an offer.
"Experienced user"
Cheyman - 5.08.12, 5:35 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
The first thing I do is to refill the diffs, zero out my servo, and get rid of the cheap turnbuckles. I found out the hard way with my ZRB-1. After changing out the turnbuckles with HPI 5x30mm, I haven't had anymore bent turnbuckles.
"Paddle Tire"
Pyro - 5.08.12, 5:48 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I left my front and rear diffs stock, but I should probably put some oil in them this weekend...
I've only stripped two screws so far. Sometime I think I should replace all the hardware with Fastenal or something.

Also, David you have a PM.
Losi 8ight-TE 2.0, OFNA Hyper Sprint E-conversion, Losi e-LST XXL, Losi 8ight-E 2.0, Team Durango DESC210, Quanum Vandal
"Experienced user"
smasher41 - 5.08.12, 10:35 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Pyro said
I left my front and rear diffs stock, but I should probably put some oil in them this weekend...
I've only stripped two screws so far. Sometime I think I should replace all the hardware with Fastenal or something.

Also, David you have a PM.
what are you refilling the diff's with? i got one coming this week and would like to do what i can to prolong its life