Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Da mitten state!!"
discgolferlee - 5.07.12, 3:22 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
Qwhat? said
I'll second what discgolferlee said ESC wise, if you want to run sensored pick up a Tekin motor and the $50 Brushless hobbies ESC will offset the absurd price point of the Tekin.

The Losi is a good truck. But its not a drivers truck in my book. The plastic is more akin to stiff rubber; its incredibly flexible which =! great for racing. Like the SCTE, out of the box its a great handling, good basher. But compared to a well tuned FT SC10 or the like, it just can't hold up without a large amount of aftermarket parts.

Additionally, the Durango 2WD SC truck is currently being tested in prototype form, so if you're the patient type and a great driver, it may be the truck for you. (Durango 4x4 handles absurdly well, but its pretty fragile. The 2WD will be similar).

Edit: Here's a link to the Durango: http://www.shortcourse.eu/2012/02/du...-2wd-sc-truck/
I would beg to differ that xxx-sct needs tons of aftermarket parts. Losi trucks with and without upgrades dominated our track this past winter while the sc10 drivers stood on the sidelines broken. Haha
Their is no superior truck and anything can win with good smart driving!
I do think the losi gets passed on or overlooked a lot when it comes to racing because associated sponsors like 10 million times more drivers than any other brand lol. Therefore increasing their chances to podium. Not taking anything away from their trucks or great drivers, just saying look beyond the smoke and mirrors.
Local parts support should be considered when making your decision as well. The kyosho is an awesome race truck as well. Just keep a heavy supply of axles on hand for that truck.
brushlesshobbies.com
"Experienced user"
Claoked - 5.07.12, 4:28 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your responses guys, it seems this has turned into a debate over which truck is better which is not what I wanted to happen.

I guess I should of broken it down into 3 simple steps:

1) Novice Progressing to SCT Pro 2
2) Durable
3) Under $500 RTR (read to race [and by that I mean motor/ESC, Radio, Servo and Tyres])

I have chargers and Batteries already.

There have been some great suggestions and I really appreciate and am looking into them now.
(Last edited by Claoked : 5.07.12 at 5:36 pm)
"Experienced user"
laferlita2007 - 5.07.12, 5:03 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
There's a lot of on-line parts support for the SC10 FT & the HPI Blitz ESE Pro, here in Australia. There all good trucks & all have there fixable faults one way of another. Cheers

Do you mean $500 rtr, with battery & charger or with out?
"Experienced user"
Claoked - 5.07.12, 5:37 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
laferlita2007 said
There's a lot of on-line parts support for the SC10 FT & the HPI Blitz ESE Pro, here in Australia. There all good trucks & all have there fixable faults one way of another. Cheers

Do you mean $500 rtr, with battery & charger or with out?
Battery and Chargers are already bought and waiting patiently.

In or around $500 for Car, Radio, Servo, Motor/ESC.
"Experienced user"
laferlita2007 - 5.07.12, 6:48 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
Blitz ESC Pro kit: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HPI-Blitz...#ht_2240wt_754
$315 AU with Shipping.

SC10 Factory Team: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Associate...#ht_2617wt_819
$319 AU with Shipping.

Motor & ESC:http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hobbywing...ht_11133wt_703

This Motor & ESC combo looks killer, but there new. Not a lot of feed back about them yet, Link: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SKYRC-TOR...#ht_5152wt_932
$117 with free Shipping.
Radio: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLYSKY-2-...item5d335076f1
$52 with free Shipping.

There's a lot of Motor & ESC's to choose from though. Cheers
"Experienced user"
scottgir - 5.08.12, 6:45 am Post #16: | Reply With Quote
Based on what you've said, I'd actually recommend getting the Losi XXX-SCT.

The roller is $129 or $139.
Get the Castle 3800 SCT setup or Duratrax Element 3900 $130
Get a good servo from Hobbyking (blue bird 631 is awesome in the XXX-SCT) $25

The benefit to this process is instead of getting a top of the line racer and bashing it, to where you'll eventually need to replace parts. The XXX-SCT is competitive out of the box, but as you break arms, wear out diff (maybe), beat on the shocks etc. You then buy the TLR upgrade which replaces all of your high wear components with the race bred parts you want.

The TLR upgrade is $129. So in reality you can start with a FT SC10 or get the XXX-SCT and then get the full upgrade later and end up being at the same price.
"Experienced user"
Claoked - 5.08.12, 1:51 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
Thanks Scottgir, you make a good point.

Although those 2 combo's you mentioned are not allowed in the local pro2 class.
"Experienced user"
laferlita2007 - 5.08.12, 3:50 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
Claoked said
Thanks Scottgir, you make a good point.

Although those 2 combo's you mentioned are not allowed in the local pro2 class.
So, anything in mind?
"Regular user"
Xslash insanity - 5.08.12, 4:19 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
Another option might be to buy the ANZA kits for the slash (but not a slash itself) and just supply whatever parts it needs to be complete. Big Squid RC reviewed it here.
"Experienced user"
Claoked - 5.08.12, 4:36 pm Post #20: | Reply With Quote
Liking the XXX-SCT very much, Can get the Rolling Chassis landed in Aus for about $180, looking at a Hobbywing XS4A combo which is another $180 landed in Aus and then a Savox Servo, Glitch Buster and a Futaba 3PL landed in Aus from about $220.

So looking at around $580 if I go down that path.

Similar if I got a a AE SC10FT with the above components from TowerHobbies with the shipping discount.

But I am sort of going against myself here looking at the SC10RS RTR its cheap, comes with all I need and I can race and learn in Novice without worry then I can get a new Rolling Chassis or Kit.

Yes I said no RTR but I am going back on my words now.

Eating humble pie as you would say and removing foot from mouth.