Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 5.13.12, 9:31 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Just added a 3900k Element system to my Torment. Shredded the plastic gears with the stock motor and a Lipo so I've already upgraded to the ECX metal gears but have yet to do the VXL driveshafts. Stockers lasted about 15 minutes of easy going bashing. Now the quick question - besides the VXL Traxxas shafts which are plastic, does anyone make steel CVD's that would fit? I'm old school, every car and truck I own runs on steel CVD's (RC10 goldtub, RC10 Team Car, RC10GT, T-Maxx 2.5, Half 8, Mini-T, RS4 Rally, Jammin X2, and each HB Lightning) Hell even the Micro-T has steel dogbones. So why does the Torment and Slash use plastic shafts? Hated em on the Maxx and hate em in the Slash, so why use em in the Torment? although I have a strong feeling its gonna be my only choice. Also 15 min runtime with stock spur and 21 tooth pinion the temps stayed around 110-115 degrees, seems cool, should I gear up and go crazy crazy fast?

http://youtu.be/cEaDjpwmdcU <-- where we bash older vid - Torments stock and Slash is running on NiMh
One of these days I do plan on fixing the rest of my fleet. Someday. Until then I'm gonna Bash my ECX Torment and Ruckus till theres nothing left. But I do miss Racing Nitro!!!
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 5.13.12, 9:37 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
They use them because they are cheaper to manufacture and they work just fine when used the way that they are supposed to be used.
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, DJI Phantom, Tidewater Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck
"Balls Out Basher!"
jreynolds5 - 5.13.12, 9:37 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
you can get the axle shafts in metal......hardened steel I believe. I have a friend that has to run them in his slash and emax
Torment 3200kv on 3s...My friends say I'm crazy....I say I'm Balls Out!

Vehicle City Bullies (Olde English Bulldogges!)
Google Us!
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 5.13.12, 9:41 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Search is your friend- until its not. found a few answers, but nothing great. Somebody somewhere has found the perfect pair of CVD's that fit with little to no mods but they seem to be the only person on the planet without a computer to post what they did.
One of these days I do plan on fixing the rest of my fleet. Someday. Until then I'm gonna Bash my ECX Torment and Ruckus till theres nothing left. But I do miss Racing Nitro!!!
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 5.13.12, 9:45 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Gimpdiggity said
They use them because they are cheaper to manufacture and they work just fine when used the way that they are supposed to be used.
Well almost. Mine came broken out of the box. HH was really really nice and sent me a new set but still even the person who built the truck must of thought they were crap to not even build them correctly.
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 5.13.12, 9:47 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
jreynolds5 said
you can get the axle shafts in metal......hardened steel I believe. I have a friend that has to run them in his slash and emax
But are the lengths the same? I know you gotta drill out part of it but besides that is it a direct fit?
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 5.13.12, 9:58 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
bugoff75 said
Well almost. Mine came broken out of the box. HH was really really nice and sent me a new set but still even the person who built the truck must of thought they were crap to not even build them correctly.
Being broken out of the box and being broken during use are two completely different subjects.

But you're right, the person who built the truck probably thought they were crap and didn't put them together right. That makes the most sense.
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, DJI Phantom, Tidewater Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 5.13.12, 10:00 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
bugoff75 said
But are the lengths the same? I know you gotta drill out part of it but besides that is it a direct fit?
If they work on a Slash, they'll work on your Torment.
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 5.13.12, 10:13 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Gimpdiggity said
Being broken out of the box and being broken during use are two completely different subjects.

But you're right, the person who built the truck probably thought they were crap and didn't put them together right. That makes the most sense.
It does! Why else? If your job is to build something and a parts broken, why would you not replace the broken part? Unless you hate your life and job and don't care. So he/she must of thought its crap! But broken during use?!? The stock shafts had NO problems with the stock truck, tranny gears didn't last but the shafts were never a problem until I added MORE POWER! So no complaints about that at all.

Gimpdiggity said
If they work on a Slash, they'll work on your Torment.
That is what I wanted to know! Thanks! Just found a set of TeKno CVD's for the Slash. Never had a problem with Tekno stuff so they might be in my future unless I can find something cheaper.

Hey what about temps on a brushless system for gearing? Whats good and whats bad?
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 5.13.12, 10:39 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
I try to keep my stuff right around 150 or so, then I usually add a fan to take it back down to 130-ish just because I'm paranoid.

It's my understanding that anything under 180 is generally acceptable...be careful gearing, though. On my Circuit when I was testing, two teeth made a HUUUUUGE difference. I'm talking like a 55 degree difference. So if you want to gear it up, definitely go only one tooth to start and test from there.