Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
84urq - 5.13.12, 7:18 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Ok guys - picking up a Losi SCTE roller tomorrow - Hobbywing WP SC8 ESC on the way. Picked up two Tacons last week. Curious how the experts think the two motors will differ in performance. On paper: Motor 1 is a Tacon 550 can 3500KV 7T motor (with a 5mm shaft fwiw) and Motor 2 is a 540 can 3930KV 9T motor (regular/small shaft fwiw). What is confusing to me is the bigger can tells me Motor 1 should have more torque except it has a lower T. Oh - also motor 1 has thicker wires coming from the motor to the 4mm connectors. So those are the differences on paper - what about the real world? (the real world is a mixed loose/somewhat hardpack outdoor dirt track - most would probably consider it a 1/8 scale track - very few jumps tho...)

So bigger can vs bigger T? Or does only KV matter?

So - whatcha think?

Thanks-
(Last edited by 84urq : 5.13.12 at 7:32 pm) Reason: spelling and adding content
"Unexercised Peer"
el_tonto - 5.13.12, 7:36 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Apples and Oranges. KV and T are just two out of a host of factors that influence how much torque/power a motor makes. I'm expecting the 550 will easily best the 540.
"Experienced user"
orangedevil - 5.13.12, 7:40 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
To be honest I would advice you to look elsewhere as well for a motor. The Tacon motors are rated at only 900W. I would suggest to have a look at the Tenshock or Toro 4 pole 550 engines as they're rated at 2000W. The SCTE is a heavy beast and you need lots of torque.
Price is $63, so similar price, double power output.
Make sure you run at least 40C batteries as the motor draws over 100A.

I have the SC401 4600Kv and it's awesome in my SCTE.
http://www.ckhobby.com/shop/?control...product_id=362
AE SC10RS (SOLD that bugger)
Losi SCTE SC401+SC8
Losi 22
TT EB-4 G3
AE TC6 FT
"Hello Newman"
rustede - 5.13.12, 7:52 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
just wanted to say congratulations on your scte! you will love it. Had mine for about three months and really enjoying it.

I'd try the 550 to see how she does but go with a 4 pole motor in the end. I'm running the rtr motor and like it but will go with the Tenshock 411 when I upgrade. Good call on the kit as opposed to the rtr. If I could do it over again that is what I would do but other than the lame electronics I am super pleased.
Current rigs: Losi SCTE<>Bashed up bl Rustler<>Axial Ridgecrest+SCX10 scale conversion <>Associated TC4 Rally Conversion
Retired/sold: The Bashler<>Stampede 4x4<>Losi Micro Desert Truck<>Traxxas Bandit VXL<> Mini Slash VXL<>Bolink Eliminator
"Experienced user"
orangedevil - 5.13.12, 7:55 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Let us know how you went with the Tacon engines, especially since pretty much everybody advised you to go with 4 pole engines instead. It would be fun to see if the forum got it right or you . I have the Tacon 8T engine as well, but I use it in my 2WD SC10 and it works fine in that car, but the SCTE is much much heavier.
AE SC10RS (SOLD that bugger)
Losi SCTE SC401+SC8
Losi 22
TT EB-4 G3
AE TC6 FT
"Experienced user"
84urq - 5.13.12, 7:59 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Yeah I was about to get a Tenshock SC401 but when I saw these were in stock I figured for the price and from what I've heard - just had to try 'em.

So these are my options for now....
who else has thoughts on how they'll compare? :-)
"Experienced user"
zkeys29 - 5.14.12, 9:34 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
The 3930 is a beast of a motor, but do not run it in that heavy of a vehicle.

Run the 3660 3500kv motor. Watch your temps

As suggested the Tenshock or Toro motors would do good as well.
Slash 2wd - SC8/Tenshock SC401 4000kv
Slash 2wd LCG - XL5 with Titan for the kid.
Slash 4wd LCG - SC8/Tenshock SC401 3500kv.
Losi Micro-T X2
Losi Micro Desert Truck
"Regular user"
Xslash insanity - 5.14.12, 9:51 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Another option might be one of the Tacon 3674s if they're still in stock. Can the SCTE fit a 74mm long motor?
"Experienced user"
Antmax - 5.14.12, 10:06 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I had the same dilemma and was considering the 3674 2800 for my Exo. Might be a bit slow 2S but should be pretty fast 3s and have gobs of power.

In the end I grabbed a new CC 1410 3800 cheap on ebay since I have to get a ESC too and didn't fancy the sidewinder. Might go sensored later with a Tenshock 411.

I think the Tacon motors are great and I know people are having fun with two pole 3500k Velineon motors in their Exo. So hopefully you will have luck with your tacons.
"Impervious to Perfection"
2genewb - 5.14.12, 10:41 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
this motor... http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m211-3660-3500kv-7t.html ... should push that beast with fervor. might have to gear a bit lower than the 4-pole options, but not by much.

this motor... http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m23-car-3650-3930.html ... will be under powered IMO, unless you plan on gearing down quite a bit and putting along.

one thing i will say is the tacon motors are a lot more capable than people realize. i had one of mine up to 240F and pretty close to that quite a few times and it still performs like new a year later. they take a serious beating and keep going unfazed.
No Cerveza, No Trabajo. Muchas Gracias.