Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
mrgiggles - 5.17.12, 8:07 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Just getting ready to dive into the math side of RC cars and I can't find detailed gear info for these ECX trucks.

Specifically I am trying to estimate some numbers using the following calculators:

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html
http://dhrc.rchomepage.com/RolloutCalc.htm

On a Torment (or similar), does anyone know the following:
- Differential Gear Ratio
- Transmission Gear Ratio (aka internal gear ratio)

It's easy to find this info for Losi, Traxxas, etc, and even duratrax. Don't nerds drive ECXs ??

Thanks for your help everyone.
"For her pleasure user"
kingkong559 - 5.17.12, 9:02 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Diff gear ratio: 1
Trans gear ratio: 2.6
If you're using lipos, use 3.7v/cell, 2s=7.4, 3s=11.1, etc
Enter zero for tire ballon

Calcuator is accurate, as long as you enter the right info. I've used plenty of times.
Automotive/Motorcycle enthusiast
49ERS
Gone fishing on the weekend. Don't bother me.

Opinions are like @holes, everyone has one.
"Regular user"
Xslash insanity - 5.17.12, 9:03 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
We're all nerds here
"Experienced user"
mrgiggles - 5.17.12, 9:03 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Thanks Kong, appreciate the info. totally helpful.
"For her pleasure user"
kingkong559 - 5.17.12, 9:32 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
You're welcome.. What speeds are you after?
Automotive/Motorcycle enthusiast
49ERS
Gone fishing on the weekend. Don't bother me.

Opinions are like @holes, everyone has one.
"Experienced user"
mrgiggles - 5.17.12, 9:58 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Konger,

Aiming for around 30-40mph tops.

I am trying to determine the viability of sticking a larger cheap high amp 120A 1/8 esc (sub $40) along with an inexpensive low kV motor and running 6s.

I bought the torment as an entry to RC cars from RC helis. After two months of running stock electronics along w/ 2s lipos, I've been thinking that I should step up and get an ESC for the future.

I figure I will tinker/break my way through the torment and move my upgraded electronics to rollers in the future, hence the early jump to a higher voltage ESC.

Poking around, it seems most people who enjoy tinkering end up on 1/8 power system in 1/10 vehicles eventually, so why not gear/motor down for the torment.
"Experienced user"
mrgiggles - 5.17.12, 12:17 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
One additional note. I have a pile of 2200mah 3s high discharge batteries that I need something to do with. I was toying with idea hooking them up in series in the torment.

I like efficiency, so I was thinking 6s the buggers. Heck, I could probably fit three in the torment and go 9s, but ESC cost I expect would be INSANE.