Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Bart50 - 7.12.12, 4:19 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hey guys,

This past weekend, for the first time, I changed out the oil in the shocks of my son's Ruckus and my Torment. I just used 30 weight Losi shock oil, but it made a HUGE difference in how the shocks feel. I did one truck before the other and compared them -- night and day.

On the downside, since I've changed the oil, my son's Ruckus has popped the cap off of the right rear shock twice now, making a beautiful mess of oil everywhere. I had noticed when I was filling these things up, that the shock didn't want to compress 100% of the way -- it would stop maybe 1/4 inch from full compression. After the first time the cap popped, I tried to put a little less oil in it and filled it with the piston compressed half-way instead of extended. This let the shock compress fully. I think the threads are just hosed on the cap now.

My LHS has the shock parts in stock so I'm just going to replace the body and cap today, but I was wondering if maybe I'm filling the shocks incorrectly?

I followed Jang's video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_d1nEquS6Y) with precision. However, the ECX shocks don't have bladders in the caps -- just O-rings. Does that change the procedure?

Also, I've scoured these ECX forums for an absolute answer on solutions to caps popping off. I've seen posts about the ECX aluminum shocks and how they have plastic caps. I've read about people installing Traxxas big bores. I've also read posts about inexpensive generic shocks that fit with some mods. There was at least one post about putting the Traxxas big bore shock aluminum caps (Traxxas pn 2667) on the stock ECX shock bodies. My question is, are the big bore aluminum shock caps a direct fit? If I bought some and screwed them on to my trucks, would they just bolt right up with no other modifications required?
ECX: 3x Ruckuses (modded 39XXkv brushless), 1x Torment (stock)
Axial: SCX-10 Dingo Kit w/ Novak power (Eiger ESC + 35T Terra Claw motor)
Losi: 3x brushless Micro SCTs, 3x Micro 4x4 Trail Trekkers
HPI: 3x Wheely King 4x4s (stock)
"Experienced user"
steelfish - 7.12.12, 4:00 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
my inexpensive mod to keep the stock shocks from popping off or leak badly was to put just one lay of plumber silicon tape on the thread of the body of the shock

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...=142140&page=3
post 52

was really good for jumps 4-5ft high, I never popped a shock cap while with the silicon tape but I changed the shocks for some Chinese generic ones just for the looks and alumn treated body.
Baja HB D8T-E **** Baja Nexx10sc *** Baja Wraith *** Baja Ruckus *** Baja Smash
Baja, Mexico
/ California, USA
"Balls Out Basher!"
jreynolds5 - 7.12.12, 4:18 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I have jumped my ford ranger with my torment and have not popped any caps.
Torment 3200kv on 3s...My friends say I'm crazy....I say I'm Balls Out!

Vehicle City Bullies (Olde English Bulldogges!)
Google Us!
"Experienced user"
Bart50 - 7.12.12, 7:12 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
jreynolds5 said
I have jumped my ford ranger with my torment and have not popped any caps.
Yeah, I think mine popped off because I somehow messed up the oil change on it. Before I tore the shocks apart, I never had an issue either.

I guess I'm trying to find out where I went wrong so it doesn't keep happening.

I may have just accidentally cross-threaded the cap and weakened the threads. Who knows. It just gave me some doubts on the process and outside of Jang's video for changing oil on Traxxas shocks, I couldn't find anything in these forums saying how to do it on shocks without bladders in the caps.
"Experienced user"
Coenraad - 7.12.12, 11:22 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I ful the oil so much that it is level with the edge. If you fill it is possible to make the oil stand higher then the edge due to surface friction and then it will be too full to compress. You can also make the oil stand a bit hollow when filling. If you want abit less rebound.

I never had the caps pop with stock and 30W oil. But with 50W oil and a high jump will pop them.
Veni --- Vidi --- Velcro.
I came --- I saw --- I stuck around.
"Experienced user"
Bart50 - 7.13.12, 4:01 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Coenraad said
I ful the oil so much that it is level with the edge. If you fill it is possible to make the oil stand higher then the edge due to surface friction and then it will be too full to compress.
Thanks for the input. Where is the piston when you fill it so it's level? Is it extended all the way out, in the middle, or fully compressed?

I was looking in the ECX manual last night and it says a couple of interesting things. First, it says the piston should be in the middle when you put the cap on. It also says that when you're done, the piston should rebound by 3/8 inches (9.5mm) after being fully compressed.

When I put the piston in the middle and fill the shock to the top, I get full shock compression, but it rebounds more than the manual says -- about double that.

I ended up tinkering with it (basically putting the piston in different positions while filling it) until I was able to get about 3/8 inches (9.5mm) of rebound. Of course, when it rebounds only that minimal amount, the drastic improvement in the shock feel with new oil isn't so drastic.

Anyway, I feel like I'm out in a sea of uncertainty. I mean, I'm not racing and this is just an inexpensive RC so one might say, "Who cares?", but I just wish I knew exactly the correct way to do this. I'm a detail guy. I yearn for step-by-step instructions that produce consistent results! hahahahaha.
"Experienced user"
Coenraad - 7.13.12, 6:27 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
*Piston all the way down when filling
*Fill to about 80%
*Move the piston up and down and turn it a little to remove any air bubbles that can be under the compression plate.
*Wait for all airbubbles(if any) to be gone.
*Fill the shock up to the edge.
*Slowly compress the piston to 50%
*Remove the oil that has bulged up so it is level again.(if i do not do that the rebound is really hard)
*Put on the shock cap.
*Done.

Hope this helped.
"Experienced user"
Bart50 - 7.13.12, 6:30 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Coenraad said
Hope this helped.
It did, actually! I love a process. Thanks man!

I shall follow it tonight on my Torment and see how it goes. Even if it has more rebound on the piston than 3/8 inches, it's at least a fixed procedure so the shocks would all be the same. And if you aren't having caps popping off, I think that's good enough for me.
"Experienced user"
Coenraad - 7.13.12, 6:32 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
If the rebound it is too high, then just add a little less oil. Simple as that, otherwhise same procedure
"Experienced user"
Bart50 - 7.13.12, 6:36 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Coenraad said
If the rebound it is too high, then just add a little less oil. Simple as that, otherwhise same procedure
Haha. I guess where that confuses me is that if you put in less oil and then close the lid, doesn't that just put air in there (between the top of the cylinder and the lid)?

So I guess I'm thinking that to add less oil, you really are pushing the piston further in while maintaining the oil being even with the top of the shock. Does that sound about right?