Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
jweenze - 7.23.12, 1:48 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I am building a Tamiya FF03 Pro, and the first step calls for synthetic rubber cement, but there was none included in the kit.
The step requires you to use the rubber cement to put a metal washer onto a plastic piece for the ball diff.

Would standard CA glue work? Or should I go out and find this glue?
"Experienced user"
3DSteve - 7.23.12, 6:24 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Can you find a link to the manual on Tamiya's website? I just built a DF-03RA, and it called for CA on the diff ring and plastic mount.
"Jack of all things R/C"
Bhilly83 - 7.24.12, 2:08 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I used ca also on my ff-03
"Experienced user"
atf300 - 7.24.12, 3:03 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
regular ca would be fine ,
"Experienced user"
3DSteve - 7.24.12, 3:10 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I found the manual online, and searched for some info on the synthetic rubber cement. I don't see any specific reason Tamiya would call for rubber cement instead of CA, and I can't see how CA wouldn't work fine. Maybe it has something to do with easily removing the diff rings later?
"Jack of all things R/C"
Bhilly83 - 7.24.12, 3:17 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Also most rubber cement today is synthetic as natural rubber cost more then the syntetic.
"Hopelessly reckless driver"
bakoonin - 7.24.12, 11:00 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I used a tiny amount of shoe goo to sucessfully fasten the metal diff plates on my DF-03Ra.
A bunch of Tamiyas, a few Sakuras, a couple Kyoshos and a handfull of other brands.
"Experienced user"
jweenze - 7.25.12, 1:10 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
I bought some Elmer's Rubber Cement from a local hardware store. It worked great and was very cheap.
"Experienced user"
FuriousFlip - 7.25.12, 4:42 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I guess I got to you too late-using the stock outdrives will just cause you to chew up your diff and idler gears in due time. There is too much clearance between the bearings and outdrives.

This is a known issue for quite some time now, unless it has been rectified. The TRF201 steel outdrives or FF03 alloy outdrives provide a much tighter fit making sure that the diff gear does not wobble.

Second problem is that the ball diff has to be darn near tightened until the spring at the other end is fully collapsed before it stops slipping. The reason why people who race the FF03 in non-TCS races use the Spec-R gear diff with the Spec-R gear box.

Now that the FF03R is out, you can simply buy the Tamiya gear diff and gear box and be TCS compliant if you are setting up a car to race in that series.

The reason you need to get a new gearbox with the gear diffs mentioned is that the stock FF03 (non-R) gear box is too narrow to fit either Spec-R or FF03R gear diff.

While you are at it, get the alloy spur gear mount as the plastic one has a lot of run-out.
(Last edited by FuriousFlip : 7.25.12 at 5:06 pm)
"Jack of all things R/C"
Bhilly83 - 7.25.12, 8:20 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
At the tcs I raced in this year, they really didn't do much tech. The did weight ins and silver can rpm and that's it. I forgot I had 3racing cvds on my mini and they never caught it. Granted they look exactly like the m03 assembly cvds.