Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 7.31.12, 10:30 am Post #11: | Reply With Quote
Well, I would be using them, except a pin sheared right in half when I was simply disassembling the rear end! So I'm in need of a small pin... yet the only way I can replace it is by purchasing
http://miponline.com/store/mip10142.html
for $10... So i just resorted to keeping the 4wd shafts on until they bust :P ... then I'll buy the pins for the MIPs
"Experienced user"
Super B - 7.31.12, 1:12 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
dang bro, that stinks.
Family motto "Go Big or Go Home" & "Hey Y'all Watch This"
2wd slash Raptor SVT Bigfoot on Kongs
Custom LCG 2wd slash
Crazy 4x4 slash
Well to many to list
"Checkers or Wreckers"
208BrAnDo - 7.31.12, 1:39 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
GUTSLAYER said
I'm in need of a small pin...

You could try a very small allen wrench, cut it as close to size as possible. Ive used em for a few different "quick fixes".
Look, Pedro... I don't know how they do things down in Juarez, but here in Idaho we have a little something called pride. Understand?
HEXCREWS.com TEAM DRIVER... check em out for the highest quality hardware for your RC's.
Co-Owner of BoneheadRC.com
(largest RC glossary on the webs!)
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 7.31.12, 2:15 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
ha brilliant, i am definitely going to try that!
might be able to save me $10 with that man
"Regular user"
Xslash insanity - 7.31.12, 3:32 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
I've used coat hangers...........Yes, shame on me.
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 7.31.12, 4:31 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
THats a fine slash and well documented - very useful for us noobs - thanks
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 7.31.12, 6:03 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
xslash insanity: haha that's too funny!

tachikoma1373: great, i'm glad you enjoyed it I have plenty more pictures with more detail as to how some components are installed if you are curious about anything

SO! After a good 3 week break.... Today was the first day I was able to run this beast. I tested the newly fabricated suspension, and my steering mod, as well as added a few battle scars on the new body.

Summary:
1) Suspension: My fabricated suspension mounts held up wonderfully, (crafted from electrical box mounting plate available at Home Depot). The overall feel... a different story.. The rebound was rather slow (20 wt oil in main cylinder, water filled off cylinder) with rather heavy progressive VG racing springs. I only had 4 roll overs at a good 40 mph through incredibly rough terrain (gopher holes, rocks, washed out ravines, tall grass, and weeds... big weeds). Launching it off jumps, the suspension was very strong and didn't allow it to bottom. A real test of the suspension capabilities from jumps will be tested in a few weeks at my local bashing area.

2) Front Skid Plate: The skid plate worked very well, not too stiff, not buckling, no dents, never caught on anything.

3) Flotek Body: Because I used epoxxy to hold the cage to the inner side window, the body deformed, causing the cage window to stay rigid, pulling the paint off the body. I figured this would happen but was too ignorant to think of a better way. Thus I have thought of a better way... never too late! haha, but using screws with washers and locknuts will hold the cage up perfectly.

4) Steering: My worst enemy... As many of you know I posted a thread a few weeks ago looking for assistance on my 4wd bell crank mod.
Found here- http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153228
However, I've encountered a new issue... My steering to the right is perfect, absolutely maxed out, but my left is completely under steering... like ridiculously. There is no binding, and when lifted up, the wheel gets pretty close to the correct degree. Any ideas as to what may cause this and how to fix it? I was thinking maybe blitz ball studs would help, but i have no idea how those work... Pictures below.

Thanks!
(Last edited by GUTSLAYER : 7.31.12 at 6:05 pm)
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 7.31.12, 7:56 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
If you switch to ball studs get extras i have broken 4 since i put them on
CARNAGE
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 7.31.12, 8:24 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
The bellcrank isn't centered. Because of the front end geometry, even a minor difference in toe link length will completely ruin the balance of your steering. Easiest way, remove both toe links and measure them. They need to be exactly the same length. Center the steering by adjusting the length of the servo link.

Also, try running it with the wheelbase shortened-- put the spacers on the back of the front bulkhead, to shift the a-arms toward the rear. You want the toe links as close to parallel with the camber link as possible.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 7.31.12, 8:37 pm Post #20: | Reply With Quote
hazardouschurch: i see, how exactly do they mount? I've never seen them in person and really just can't wrap my head around them.

Dr. Isotope: Thanks, I've had a little trouble with the toe links, so I'll get them dialed in. Moving the spacers backwards is a very interesting idea, that never even remotely crossed my mind so i'll give it a shot. Also when you say "shortening the wheel base" is that in regards to the spacers? or completely removing the jang wide mod?
Thanks again