Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Super B - 8.03.12, 9:55 pm Post #41: | Reply With Quote
Great! Good to hear.
Family motto "Go Big or Go Home" & "Hey Y'all Watch This"
2wd Slash Raptor on Jumbo Kongs "Big Foot"
Custom LCG 2wd slash
Wroncho
R1 "The Money Pit"
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 8.03.12, 10:46 pm Post #42: | Reply With Quote
ah that's awesome good for you rider.

thanks super, should have a motor and esc by next week sometime.

So, I'm revealing this a little early.. but oh well. Summer quarter is ending for me and soon I'll have a month of absolute free time.. I'll be heading home for the time being, but this will give me the opportunity to try some racing.

The course is SDRC, a hardpacked wet clay, with big jumps, and sharp turns.

I've got an idea for wheels.. J-concept wheels (cheap haha)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBYCJ&P=0

yet, i don't know if i should consider other wheels for the front for steering, or how to tune my truck for such an event.
Also considering working on an LCG chassis (probably fiberglass as that will be available at home depot and cheap) unless someone else has a better idea?

suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!
"Experienced user"
Shoot em UP - 8.04.12, 12:19 pm Post #43: | Reply With Quote
It turned out good bro! To bad the motor blew.
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 8.04.12, 1:36 pm Post #44: | Reply With Quote
hahaha big daddy is down but not out! he didn't want it
"Experienced user"
Shoot em UP - 8.04.12, 7:04 pm Post #45: | Reply With Quote
O he waned it, wanted a new motor and ESC! haha. you know it was getting to be that time anyways... salt and sand don't do a esc any good
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 8.05.12, 12:18 pm Post #46: | Reply With Quote
So I'm considering some sort of heatsink for my VXL motor, as it runs rather hot.

I've considered 3 different options...

Plain heat sink
http://www.rcplanet.com/Integy_Motor...tc22374gun.htm
Although my concerns are that the fins will not sit parallel with incoming airflow, but it has significant surface area for heat dissipation.

Heat sink with single fan
http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...e=INTC22480GUN
My concerns are once again with the direction of the fins, but also with the fan itself, will i risk shorting my car if it's not plugged directly into the ESC? Also this heat sink has alot of surface area for dissipation.

Lastly my heatsink of choice
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...8#.UB7NX6O-0_5
Runs 2 fans for idling and fins that flow parallel to airflow, although I am unsure as to where or not the VXL system is considered "540" so that this will fit on or not and this heat sink had less area for dissipation.

thanks
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 8.05.12, 12:27 pm Post #47: | Reply With Quote
I don't remember seeing anywhere that you have an aluminum gearbox. Heat sinks do very little, because without the use of heatsink compound, they make very little contact with the can of the motor. A typical aluminum gearbox will drop running temps 20 or more, while a heatsink won't even get you as much as 10. The fans that Integy and 3racing use are also pretty fragile. The CCBlower has a pretty good fan in it, but usually won't fit on the motor with a stock gearbox.

So... aluminum gearbox. FLM is my top choice (but expensive,) but you can get an orange Venom for under $40, or a Hot Racing composite/aluminum for around $30.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 8.05.12, 1:09 pm Post #48: | Reply With Quote
Yea, I'm not, and I know I should be, I was trying to find the cheapest way out for myself, I've considered the Hot Racing gear box because it is only around $30 and I like the look of it.
I can't afford the $60 FLM, while I'd like to, it's just not realistic.

Any idea what temperature decrease the HR case will have?

edit: this is what I was looking at... but I realized it's graphite, don't I run the risk of shattering it on a jump or bad crash?

http://www.hobbyetc.com/item.cgi?par...Kp3VuAn7joWApg
(Last edited by GUTSLAYER : 8.05.12 at 1:21 pm)
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 8.05.12, 1:31 pm Post #49: | Reply With Quote
I've never heard a single bad review of the Hot Racing. It appears to be plenty durable.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 8.05.12, 3:30 pm Post #50: | Reply With Quote
well i hate to say it but you've pretty much sold me on the HR gearbox.

so now that that's done, would it still be in my best interest to get a $5 heat sink and apply a thermal compound?
If so, what compound were you using in particular? I have plenty for my computer lying around.