Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Thrash911 - 8.13.12, 5:29 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I have the Slash 4x4 Ultimate. With it, came the TQi transmitter with docking base, which I have a 2nd gen iPod in, and it's been working great with telemetry. Today out of nowhere, the car would not react to it. I looked at the transmitter LED. It was blinking green in a very irregular and "non-rhythmic" fashion. It definitely did not fit any of the blinking codes in the manual. This would happen no matter how many times I turned it on or off. I replaced the batteries, but that didn't help.

I then tried to remove the iPod. Then, when turned on, it was solid green, and looked normal. But the car would still not react to it. I then tried to re-bind it, by holding SET while it is turned on. But this is ignored as well. Where the LED should blink red, there is simply no light. Thinking the red LED might be dead in the transmitter, I tried to bind it anyway, but it did not work.. As a last resort, I tried to reset to factory settings, but of course it would not do that either..

I have another TQi transmitter, with no docking base. After binding this to the car, it worked fine.. I might try to take off the docking base, to see if that's what's messing it up..

But are there ANY thoughts as to what could be wrong here? Has this happened to anybody else?
Best Regards - Brian J. N. aka Thrash911
Traxxas 1:16 E-Revo VXL - (VXL-3m / Velineon 380)
Traxxas 1:10 Slash 4x4 - (WP-SC8 / EZRUN 3400kv 4P)
"Experienced user"
fmc6338 - 8.13.12, 8:52 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
my transmitter keeps losing link with car, even at close range. I guess your not the only one with tqi trans problems.
"Rc is a fun sickness!"
jdtrucker79 - 8.14.12, 7:55 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
It is or was the update for the tqi trans/rec. Traxxas is getting a lot of calls on the problem.
I know because I called them. I had the same problem just got a 2nd gen ipod touch from craigslist. I downloaded the link the hooked it up to the tqi remote then about 30 seconds later it was updating and the light was blinking all crazy.
I still cant figure out how to delete the update. I have got mine to work is takes about 8 min to pair then it seems to work fine.
I say anyone that is using an ipod do NOT turn on wifi or turn it off before hooking up to tqi trans
(Last edited by jdtrucker79 : 8.14.12 at 8:01 am) Reason: forgot to add
Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate
Traxxas Stampede 4x4
Vaterra Kemora
Tamiya Ford Aeromax
It's a sickness
"Experienced user"
Thrash911 - 8.14.12, 9:23 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, jdtrucker79.

Damn. I always update. It's usually a good thing, you know.. Are you saying, this is only in relation to 2nd gen iPod Touch?

What do you mean, it took 8 minutes to pair? Did you hold down 'SET' for that long, or.. What did you do, more or less exactly?

I tried to check for new firmware, but it just hangs. I'm not sure if it's actually checking or not, because I never set it to check manually before.. I hope I can update it, when Traxxas fixes the problem. Would suck, if the bug(s) made it impossible to update.
Best Regards - Brian J. N. aka Thrash911
Traxxas 1:16 E-Revo VXL - (VXL-3m / Velineon 380)
Traxxas 1:10 Slash 4x4 - (WP-SC8 / EZRUN 3400kv 4P)
"Rc is a fun sickness!"
jdtrucker79 - 8.14.12, 10:04 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
from what i have heard its iphones too meaning its not just ipod touch 2nd gen. for the pairing I mean plug in my ipod to the trans turn everything on and the trans icon in the upper left hand corner that is red takes 8 min to turn green. Its the update they take awhile to talk to each other and I think its the update. traxxas said in some cases the update will make your trans crash and not work at all
Traxxas Slash 4x4 Ultimate
Traxxas Stampede 4x4
Vaterra Kemora
Tamiya Ford Aeromax
It's a sickness
"Experienced user"
dapro(not) - 8.16.12, 8:19 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
have you tried a re-bind of the transmitter and receiver?
"Experienced user"
buzzd2killRC - 11.26.13, 3:43 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
First try putting fresh batteries in the radio and in your vehicle. carefully inspect the battery contacts to make sure the batteries are making solid contact. Make sure the antenna on your receiver is not cut short, and that it is all the way out to the end of the antenna tube. Check the plugs in your receiver to make sure they are secure, that the steering is plugged into channel 1, the throttle servo is plugged into channel 2 and that none of the wires are pinched frayed or kinked.

Next reset your transmitter to its factory default settings. This procedure is different from the one in your Owners Manual.

Start with radio turned off.

Hold both menu and set.

Turn radio on

Release menu and set slow red blinking light

Hold menu and set till light changes to green blink

Release menu and set

While holding steering at full left, press set.

While holding steering at full right, press set.

Light changes back to red blink

While holding full throttle press set.

While holding full breaks, press set.

Light should now be solid green, factory endpoints reset has been finished. quote end quote this time I decided to save the conversation from taxxas.
"New user"
mel4x4 - 12.26.13, 8:57 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Thanks a million!! Somehow someone got button pushy with their new Traxxas and transmitter got out of whack. Spent an hour on the web trying to find this "hard reset" procedure. Exactly what I needed.