Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
reptileman - 8.16.12, 5:37 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
OK i did a RPM test used a freshly charged 6 cell pack
the duratrax motor as seen in the photo 24,200RPM

and a stock tamiya kit silver can 18,500RPM
So the same test shows with the duratrax photon speed 2 motor it gives you 5,700RPM over a stock tamiya kit motor..it also has much more tourqe.
So for a $11.00 motor shipped it's a great hop up in my opinion you can't go wrong with it at that price!

"Experienced user"
mv75 - 8.16.12, 12:45 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Cool, where from?

I've been eyeing one of these for my third tb03 build:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140651250...84.m1423.l2649

Just for fun I'll put a high powered brushed in. Everything else is brushless, so why not? Plus it's mostly going to be a display chassis anyway.
"Experienced user"
3DSteve - 8.16.12, 1:22 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
20 turn versus ~36 turns, RPM should be much higher. The stock Tamiya ESCs should be able to handle them OK as well.

Thanks to $30 brushless motors, I'm giving up on all my open-endbell brushed motors, but these will work nicely to perk up a car until I have enough systems to go around.

Is the Duratrax new? Try water-dipping it and lubing the bushings and see how many RPM you can pick up.
"Experienced user"
reptileman - 8.16.12, 1:37 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
3DSteve said
20 turn versus ~36 turns, RPM should be much higher. The stock Tamiya ESCs should be able to handle them OK as well.

Thanks to $30 brushless motors, I'm giving up on all my open-endbell brushed motors, but these will work nicely to perk up a car until I have enough systems to go around.

Is the Duratrax new? Try water-dipping it and lubing the bushings and see how many RPM you can pick up.

Hi no it's been broken in already but used a little bit.
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 8.16.12, 2:13 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I have one of those Duratrax motors in my Baja Bug. It came with it RTR, but I pulled it out and broke it in correctly.

I've been pretty impressed by how fast the motor is, for just being a stock brushed motor.
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, DJI Phantom, Tidewater Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck
"real M/T's have solid axles"
andymac0035 - 8.16.12, 2:21 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
3DSteve said
20 turn versus ~36 turns, RPM should be much higher.
Silver can motors are 27 turn with 0 deg. of timing.

The photon 2 probably has some advance timing to it.
No doubt it's faster though.

To the OP:
Are you sure it's tourqier?
The silver can should have the edge there since it has more turns.

Still, nice test!
Terminator race-clod, Slash LCG, Slash 2WD, Rustler VXL
"Experienced user"
reptileman - 8.16.12, 2:51 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
andymac0035 said

To the OP:

Still, nice test!
I think it's more powerfull.
"Experienced user"
3DSteve - 8.16.12, 3:56 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
andymac0035 said

To the OP:

Still, nice test!
Depends on who you listen to; I've heard up to 36 turns for the silver can Mabuchi 540's.
"Experienced user"
laferlita2007 - 8.16.12, 4:40 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
3DSteve said
Depends on who you listen to; I've heard up to 36 turns for the silver can Mabuchi 540's.

The silver can motors are 27 turns, a 36 turn motor is like a fast crawler motor (slower)

@ Reptileman, we know the Proton speed 2 motor is from the Evader rtr & is a 20T motor, so it's no surprise it's faster than a 27t silver can.. Excellent value at $11....

Have you got any other motors to test?
"Experienced user"
reptileman - 8.16.12, 4:59 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
laferlita2007 said
The silver can motors are 27 turns, a 36 turn motor is like a fast crawler motor (slower)

@ Reptileman, we know the Proton speed 2 motor is from the Evader rtr & is a 20T motor, so it's no surprise it's faster than a 27t silver can.. Excellent value at $11....

Have you got any other motors to test?
Hi i tested once before the electrix RC stock 20 turn motors they use in there trucks it was a hair less RPM and it is a little slower than the duratrax motor...But it has a built in cooling fan so on those tamiyas that use big pinions this motor may be a better choice than the duratrax motor.