Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
reptileman - 8.16.12, 6:37 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
OK i did a RPM test used a freshly charged 6 cell pack
the duratrax motor as seen in the photo 24,200RPM

and a stock tamiya kit silver can 18,500RPM
So the same test shows with the duratrax photon speed 2 motor it gives you 5,700RPM over a stock tamiya kit motor..it also has much more tourqe.
So for a $11.00 motor shipped it's a great hop up in my opinion you can't go wrong with it at that price!

"Experienced user"
mv75 - 8.16.12, 1:45 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Cool, where from?

I've been eyeing one of these for my third tb03 build:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140651250...84.m1423.l2649

Just for fun I'll put a high powered brushed in. Everything else is brushless, so why not? Plus it's mostly going to be a display chassis anyway.
"Experienced user"
3DSteve - 8.16.12, 2:22 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
20 turn versus ~36 turns, RPM should be much higher. The stock Tamiya ESCs should be able to handle them OK as well.

Thanks to $30 brushless motors, I'm giving up on all my open-endbell brushed motors, but these will work nicely to perk up a car until I have enough systems to go around.

Is the Duratrax new? Try water-dipping it and lubing the bushings and see how many RPM you can pick up.
"Experienced user"
reptileman - 8.16.12, 2:37 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
3DSteve said
20 turn versus ~36 turns, RPM should be much higher. The stock Tamiya ESCs should be able to handle them OK as well.

Thanks to $30 brushless motors, I'm giving up on all my open-endbell brushed motors, but these will work nicely to perk up a car until I have enough systems to go around.

Is the Duratrax new? Try water-dipping it and lubing the bushings and see how many RPM you can pick up.

Hi no it's been broken in already but used a little bit.
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 8.16.12, 3:13 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I have one of those Duratrax motors in my Baja Bug. It came with it RTR, but I pulled it out and broke it in correctly.

I've been pretty impressed by how fast the motor is, for just being a stock brushed motor.
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, C4rcu4t, Night Vapor, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere, Dragon Force Yacht
"real M/T's have solid axles"
andymac0035 - 8.16.12, 3:21 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
3DSteve said
20 turn versus ~36 turns, RPM should be much higher.
Silver can motors are 27 turn with 0 deg. of timing.

The photon 2 probably has some advance timing to it.
No doubt it's faster though.

To the OP:
Are you sure it's tourqier?
The silver can should have the edge there since it has more turns.

Still, nice test!
Terminator race-clod, Axial Wraith, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4, Slash 2WD, Tamiya DT-03 buggy
"Experienced user"
reptileman - 8.16.12, 3:51 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
andymac0035 said

To the OP:

Still, nice test!
I think it's more powerfull.
"Experienced user"
3DSteve - 8.16.12, 4:56 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
andymac0035 said

To the OP:

Still, nice test!
Depends on who you listen to; I've heard up to 36 turns for the silver can Mabuchi 540's.
"Experienced user"
laferlita2007 - 8.16.12, 5:40 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
3DSteve said
Depends on who you listen to; I've heard up to 36 turns for the silver can Mabuchi 540's.

The silver can motors are 27 turns, a 36 turn motor is like a fast crawler motor (slower)

@ Reptileman, we know the Proton speed 2 motor is from the Evader rtr & is a 20T motor, so it's no surprise it's faster than a 27t silver can.. Excellent value at $11....

Have you got any other motors to test?
"Experienced user"
reptileman - 8.16.12, 5:59 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
laferlita2007 said
The silver can motors are 27 turns, a 36 turn motor is like a fast crawler motor (slower)

@ Reptileman, we know the Proton speed 2 motor is from the Evader rtr & is a 20T motor, so it's no surprise it's faster than a 27t silver can.. Excellent value at $11....

Have you got any other motors to test?
Hi i tested once before the electrix RC stock 20 turn motors they use in there trucks it was a hair less RPM and it is a little slower than the duratrax motor...But it has a built in cooling fan so on those tamiyas that use big pinions this motor may be a better choice than the duratrax motor.