Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"eh"
the.maxinator98 - 9.19.12, 12:32 pm Post #21: | Reply With Quote
(opens the page) I thought this was for a PL kit for the slash, not the 22sct
Hi guys
MY youtube channel "maxyd98"
"Vacationing user"
turbo4age - 9.19.12, 12:33 pm Post #22: | Reply With Quote
id love to try to see you bolt tlr parts onto this thing.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 9.19.12, 12:43 pm Post #23: | Reply With Quote
turbo4age said
compared to the anza chassis. you must have missed jangs post above.

its also not as simple as running to home depot and snagging five pieces of aluminum, some velcro, and quite a lot of plastic. there is research and design, machining, coating, marketing, hardware, etc, etc involved in something like this.
I don't argue that at all. I make product for a living-- I know exactly what goes into the finished product, from concept to completion. My point is that they now make the single most expensive option part for the Traxxas Slash. A part that is touted "by racers, for racers," for a platform that is not by nature a racing platform.

The part costs as much as it does, first and foremost, because there is a pretty big group of people that will pay it. Not because it cost that much to make. ProLine makes much less in-house than they used to. Their margins on these sort of parts is quite large. I know, because I could replicate one of these as a one off, including hard-coating the aluminum, and molding and casting the parts, and it would come out in the ~$200 area.

Bottom line: it's simply too expensive for what it is. It costs more than an SC10 roller. And that's just the PL chassis alone.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Vacationing user"
turbo4age - 9.19.12, 12:56 pm Post #24: | Reply With Quote
its too expensive for YOU. i think its priced pretty reasonably.

blame anza for setting the market price, proline is just responding in kind with what appears to be a nicer product.

you really should recreate something like this, of this apparent high quality, for what YOU feel it is worth and simply corner the market.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 9.19.12, 1:06 pm Post #25: | Reply With Quote
It's not too expensive for me. It's too expensive for common sense. My critique doesn't come from jealousy, it comes from me saying, "Looking at what's involved with the product, what's the most I would pay for it?" And ProLine overshot the mark. I make no bones about the fact that I own almost no ProLine products anymore. I haven't bought anything of theirs in quite a long time. Because their QC is nowhere near what it once was, yet their prices are higher than ever.

ProLine wouldn't have made the chassis unless they knew it would sell. That doesn't mean you could force me to buy one, because you couldn't. It rests solidly in the "Stay Away" column with Novak electronics and anything Hobby People puts their name on.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Experienced user"
URC98 - 9.19.12, 1:13 pm Post #26: | Reply With Quote
Dr. Isotope said

Bottom line: it's simply too expensive for what it is. It costs more than an SC10 roller. And that's just the PL chassis alone.

You're comparing this alum chassis to an sc10? You should compare it to what it looks like, like a tlr 22sct. Just like you would compare a sc10 to a blits.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 9.19.12, 1:18 pm Post #27: | Reply With Quote
It shares nothing in common with the 22SCT other than a physical similarity. Comparing it to any SCT works as well as any other.

But... the ProLine Slash main bits (chassis, gearbox, ProTrac, Powerstrokes) combine to cost about $30 more than a 22SCT kit. How's that work for you?
"Experienced user"
URC98 - 9.19.12, 1:21 pm Post #28: | Reply With Quote
Dr. Isotope said
It shares nothing in common with the 22SCT other than a physical similarity. Comparing it to any SCT works as well as any other.

But... the ProLine Slash main bits (chassis, gearbox, ProTrac, Powerstrokes) combine to cost about $30 more than a 22SCT kit. How's that work for you?

Well I would get this http://www.ebay.com/itm/271039150362...84.m1423.l2649 and this http://www.ebay.com/itm/271058765570...84.m1423.l2649 and http://prolineracing.com/performance...mance-chassis/ and prolines body/tires and wheels. and I have a roller
(Last edited by URC98 : 9.19.12 at 1:57 pm)
(URC Founder)
"Dory, Hunky"
theJANG - 9.19.12, 1:59 pm Post #29: | Reply With Quote
Can't have Proline mentioned in a thread anymore without it turning into a one-man hailstorm. Dr. I how many times & how many ways must you say you don't like Pro-Line, don't like what they do, don't like their products, they're overpriced & too low of quality for you? It's a perfectly fine stance to have. I've no qualms with it. However, it feels like you're on a mission to drill it into the head of every single URC member. You're probably not, but I'm telling you, that's what it looks like from this side of the intertube. You bring your soapbox to every Pro-Line related thread.
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by the rest of the URC community. Most questions asked of me directly can be answered sooner & better by the URC community.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I can only respond to important urgent, business-related, or security-related private messages. I cannot give personal diagnostic or product advice via PM. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 9.19.12, 2:21 pm Post #30: | Reply With Quote
I've thrown away more than my fair share of money on ProLine products, and would like nothing more than to prevent even one other person from making the same mistake. But some people, you just can't reach. So you get what we have here. Which is how they want it. So I guess I should just let them have it.

At the end of the day it's their money, I shouldn't give a damn what they spend it on. I'll trade in my ProLine antipathy for ProLine apathy. It's ever so much easier.