Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
sunshineday - 10.02.12, 10:57 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I have a new Granite on the way. I want to put a Novak brushless motor in it. Will the stock gears/ pinion/ driveshaft , etc handle a brushless setup ?

If not, what do I need to replace and can you give me links to those specific parts.

I will first replace the front servo..then do the brushless conversion.
"Killing Time"
mannoiaj - 10.02.12, 5:54 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
I have a couple granite trucks. From what I have experienced you will need a few upgrades.
1. Servo - looks like you're on top of that.
2. Front ball ends pop off too easy. DUBRO part #2321 fixes that issue.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2321&search=Go
3. You will need a brushless ESC to be compatible with your novak motor. The stock esc will not handle brushless. Lots of options.
4. The stock pinion and driveshaft should be fine.
5. You will probably need stronger dogbones. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1235&search=Go
6. Diff - read this thread... http://forum.goforit-rc.com/showthre...-MIP-Ball-diff!!!
"Experienced user"
felixx4 - 10.03.12, 4:18 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
+1 on Manno's post. In addition, if you dont already have it, 2S Lipo packs and a Lipo compatible charger.
"Experienced user"
sunshineday - 10.03.12, 7:01 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
mannoiaj said
I have a couple granite trucks. From what I have experienced you will need a few upgrades.
1. Servo - looks like you're on top of that.
2. Front ball ends pop off too easy. DUBRO part #2321 fixes that issue.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...2321&search=Go
3. You will need a brushless ESC to be compatible with your novak motor. The stock esc will not handle brushless. Lots of options.
4. The stock pinion and driveshaft should be fine.
5. You will probably need stronger dogbones. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1235&search=Go
6. Diff - read this thread... http://forum.goforit-rc.com/showthre...-MIP-Ball-diff!!!

Oh my....the whole differential needs to be replaced for brushless setup ?

So the stock differential will quickly disentegrate using a brushless setup ?

Thats terrible....

Has anyone come up with a 100% positive fix for the differential that lasts a longtime ?

If so , can all those parts be purchased from one vendor and is it a easy thing to fix/replace ?

I midas well do it before I get the Granite all dirty....and make sure the differential is ready for brushless right from the start.

I did read the differential thread, but it looks like its still a work in progress and that its uncertain if that mod is a permanent fix.
(URC Founder)
"Dory, Hunky"
theJANG - 10.03.12, 2:32 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Hmm. I ran my Raider on both 2S and even 3S & thrashed it for awhile and didn't have a diff issue. Did I not run it long enough?
Please do not PM (privately message) me or directly address forum threads towards me with questions that can be answered by the rest of the URC community. Most questions asked of me directly can be answered sooner & better by the URC community.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I can only respond to important urgent, business-related, or security-related private messages. I cannot give personal diagnostic or product advice via PM. Please utilize the tremendous resource that is the entire URC community. Thank you for your understanding.
"Experienced user"
felixx4 - 10.03.12, 2:43 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Jang,

I think the size of the Granite's tires put the stock differental over the edge when using a b-less setup.

I have a Granite and i added a Castle SCT ESC and a EZRun 3655 motor running stock gearing and a 2S Lipo and it destroyed the diff pins that hold in the output shafts on the first LIPO pack. The pins are too small in diameter to support the power of a b-less motor.

Ive been told numerous times to just go with a HPI Blitz diff and do away with the stock Arrma diff. Plus its very difficult to get replacement Arrma diff parts as they are on backorder almost everywhere...hmmm, wonder why????? LOL
"Killing Time"
mannoiaj - 10.03.12, 2:46 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I haven't had a diff issue and don't run brushless yet. I plan on running brushless in the near future and also plan on having diff issues as others have. The diff in the Granite supposedly is brushless ready, so maybe it will work out just fine... but others using the same diff and brushless setups have found it not to work for them... hence the link to the thread in which they talk about a replacement. I hope that they and I are wrong and the Granite does well with a brushless setup. I have to imagine that the Granite would be a bit tougher on a diff (the same dif) running brushless than would be the raider with the smaller tires and a bit less weight.
"Experienced user"
felixx4 - 10.03.12, 3:00 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Manno,

By all means, try using the stock diff with brushless and see how it works out. At least you have something to fall back on if you have problems.

With the stock motor, i didnt have any diff problems. Only when i upgraded to brushless did i see issues.

FYI, Arrma states that the Granite is brushless ready because it has all metal gears in the transmission, not because it can hold up to a brushless motor. Also, on the Granite box it mentions "waterproof", but it really isnt because the steering servo is not waterproof. Thats one thing i dont like about Arrma, they are a bit misleading with their advertising.
"Experienced user"
sunshineday - 10.03.12, 4:35 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
So has any person been successful in replacing all of the parts in the GRANITE differential and then running a brushless setup for several monts, without any differential failures ?

If so, is there a complete parts list from one vendor to order everything from ?>
"Killing Time"
mannoiaj - 10.06.12, 3:14 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
I believe if you read the top few threads about the Arrma stuff you will find a complete parts list from a single vendor to replace the diff. That said, I plan on going brushless before buying a new diff and seeing how it holds up for my needs.

So far as how a new completed diff holds up... a few members have had good success with the HPI replacement.