Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 10.11.12, 2:39 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
So I'm sure everyone has heard me complain about the split rear body post on my(almost everyones) Torment. Well today I decided to do something about it. Using the original ECX part that I didn't throw away.

Broke out my RC tool box and searched for anything that might help. Came up with some body posts from a (what I'm assuming by the snapped aluminum screws in the bottom) 1/12th scale pan car. Either AE or CRC since that is all I use to run. Not sure, but I'm positive a quick scan thru any LHS will result in something very close. Also found some touring car body supports which one set had HPI stamped on it and the other looks like they were from Trinity.

First thing was to use an E-xato knife to trim off the top of the old posts.

Next drilled a hole in the same place where the old post stood up from. (idea here is to still utilize the original body holes)

. . . and the finished product - Ta-Da!

Compared to the replacement set that came pre-split out of the package.

Mounted up on the truck. Because I'm using the body supports I lowered which holes I had been using to keep the body sitting as it was.

With the body on. Using the original body holes!

Not great pics, but the way the body slopes sits perfect on the body supports.

Just need to trim the posts and I'm all good!
(Last edited by bugoff75 : 10.14.12 at 8:28 am)
One of these days I do plan on fixing the rest of my fleet. Someday. Until then I'm gonna Bash my ECX Torment and Ruckus till theres nothing left. But I do miss Racing Nitro!!!
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 10.11.12, 2:41 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
tried shrinking the images but didn't seem to work.
One of these days I do plan on fixing the rest of my fleet. Someday. Until then I'm gonna Bash my ECX Torment and Ruckus till theres nothing left. But I do miss Racing Nitro!!!
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 10.11.12, 2:47 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Looks pretty good.

Have you run it like this yet?? I'm wondering if the stock body mounts that you drilled will be up to the task. With those longer posts on there, there will be more leverage on them on a roll over, and I'm wondering if they holes you drilled will basically allow the posts to "rip" right through the edge now.

After you've tested it for a bit, could you let everyone know the results?
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, Tidewater, DJI Phantom, Nano QX, Proto X Nano, Scout CX, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 10.11.12, 2:57 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Of course! but I did trimmed it down and there seems to be enough material left around the posts to keep everything together. But a few packs thru it will be the ultimate test. Too bad I'm still waiting on my new driveshafts.
"Experienced user"
lshort251 - 10.11.12, 6:29 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I'll be really interested to see how this turns out! Seems like a good solution, provided they'll hold up to a crash.
Duratrax Maximum ST Brushless Conversion (I'm nuts)
Megatech Megapro / Radioshack ProPulse T100
Radioshack XMODS (5 of them with various upgrades & drivetrains)
"Experienced user"
torquelover - 10.13.12, 8:58 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
There is an alternative to this, I cut off the posts, then used the front posts and glued those to the rear post. Works great, strong, and only takes a little time and some CA.

Perhaps I should post it?
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 10.14.12, 7:05 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I only use CA for tires and the occasional screw hole when I'm waiting for a replacement part. Years of racing have taught me the only thing that CA holds tight is your fingers. But I did just a few minutes ago glue a tire without getting any on my fingers! Go me!
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 10.14.12, 9:02 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Decided to continue this thread instead of starting a new one.

Found on eBay the perfect steel driveshafts!!! Not gonna list the seller cause I'm not sure what the rules are for advertising. But a quick search for steel super duty CVD Slash and you'll find em. Not counting Paypal loot and eBay Bucks, these cost me under $12 ($25 with the rest added in) Free shipping too!

Pictured with the original ECX shafts and the Traxxas shafts on the truck.

See what happens to plastic under such heavy use? Traxxas Slash shafts. My sons Slash is 3-4 years old with original driveshafts and no signs of any twisting or wear but its only been run with modified brushed motors.

Install is as simple as replacing the ECX shafts. NO MODIFICATION NECESSARY!
Take the wheel off, remove the wheel hex and pin, remove bottom shock mount screw and remove screw from link/hub, remove small pin/set screw from trans/ driveshaft. Pull out old driveshaft put new one in reverse order. Simple.
May want to use Traxxas spacers to reduce any play but when I added the Traxxas grey plastic wheel hex and a single spacer, play was about the same as the ECX parts so I left it alone.

Tips and issues: always use thread lock when a screw goes into metal and the only issue I had was there was a bit of flashing left on one of the pin holes so putting the wheel pin in was a b*tch until I saw the problem. just took a small needle nose pliers and twisted it lightly in the hole and pin slid right in.

Now for the fun part: the durability?!? Good question that as of right now I can't answer. Made 4 repairs to my Torment,
1: spur gear,
2: rear body posts,
3: glued a tire back together,
4: replaced the twisted traxxas shafts with the new steel ones,

Guess which part let me down in about 5 minutes? Spur Gear. Used the ECX part and my mesh was good but I think the motor mount is too soft or the gears just suck. Either way, even though I just bought a nice pack of pinions to fill in the gaps of my collection it looks like I'm going to have to go with a larger pitch.

My favorite bash spot has been taken over by the USACE, who are now pumping large quantities of water/muck from a dredge project into it. So I was unable to launch my truck over my head and beat the p*ss out of it in that 5 minutes. But a few spills did prove the body posts hold up from an upside down slide down a dirt hill.
Will keep this updated once I fix my gearing issue and resume bashing.
(Last edited by bugoff75 : 10.14.12 at 9:11 am)
"rehsaB darykcaB"
bugoff75 - 10.14.12, 9:15 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
One last possible issue that I can think of is - rust. Have no idea if these are stainless steel or not. I'd assume that they are not.
"Experienced user"
lshort251 - 10.14.12, 7:15 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Definitely digging those steel driveshafts!
Duratrax Maximum ST Brushless Conversion (I'm nuts)
Megatech Megapro / Radioshack ProPulse T100
Radioshack XMODS (5 of them with various upgrades & drivetrains)