Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
IonicRipper - 10.16.12, 7:02 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I got some 40wt shock oil from my LHS to do my HPI Sprint 2 shocks.
I was wondering what was the factory shock oil weight on the Torment and if 40wt oil would be beneficial for it?
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 10.16.12, 7:14 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Gimpdiggity said
12. Shocks and Shock Oil

The stock shocks are actually pretty solid. They do a good job of doing what they are supposed to do.

The stock shock oil, on the other hand, is a bit thin. It's supposed to be 30w, but it seems a bit less than that. Some people have reported that their shocks didn't even seem full of oil when they went to change it out.

Shock oil is relatively inexpensive, so buy a couple of different weights and try them out until you get to where you like.

For most surfaces where there aren't a lot of bumps, heavier oil is generally preferred. I run 40w all around in my trucks that I'm using primarily on the street.

For jumps and bumpy running, lower weight is best. I run 30w in the front and rear of my Circuit that is primarily used for track driving. It seems to do a pretty good job. I have not yet tried 35w, but may eventually try that in the rear of the truck.

Even if you just go and get a bottle of nice 30w oil and replace the stock oil, you'll probably see a bit of a handling improvement.

Before you just go buy oil, though, know that you MUST use silicone oil. Simply using motor oil won't work. You can get it online or at the hobby shop for a couple of bucks a bottle, and one bottle will be more than enough to do quite a few shocks.

If you decide that you would like to upgrade the shocks, too, then the Electrix brand aluminum shocks are actually very nice. They are easily adjustable due to their threaded bodies, and in my opinion they do a better overall job than the stock shocks. I believe it has to do with the fact that they are aluminum means that there is zero flex in them when they are under compression, where even just a tiny amount of compression on the stock ones can cause them to act a bit oddly.

With the aluminum shocks I have noticed that the truck jumps, turns, and takes bumps more predictably than it did with the stock shocks.

From a purely aesthetic standpoint, as well, they look VERY cool.
Taken from the sticky at the top of the forum titled: Recommended Upgrades for ECX (Electrix) Vehicles
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, Tidewater, DJI Phantom, Nano QX, Proto X Nano, Scout CX, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere
"Experienced user"
IonicRipper - 10.16.12, 7:46 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Dumb me.

I did read that article... Several times. I didn't remember it saying what the stock oil was.

Thanks.
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 10.16.12, 7:53 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
IonicRipper said
Dumb me.

I did read that article... Several times. I didn't remember it saying what the stock oil was.

Thanks.

No worries.

I think if you have some 40w laying around, try it. If it seems to stiff, then get some 35 and 30 and try one of them first then the other if the first one doesn't get what you want done.

I think in the Torment the 40w will be a good all around weight, though.
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, Tidewater, DJI Phantom, Nano QX, Proto X Nano, Scout CX, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere
"Experienced user"
Toyotatrucks83 - 10.16.12, 8:17 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
I use 30 front and 40 rear in all my ecx. Seems to work well with stock springs.
"Experienced user"
torquelover - 10.17.12, 5:21 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
The truck is supposed to come with 30w oil. I have used Losi and Associated 30w oil in the shocks and both perform a lot different than the stock oil.

I might also mention my shocks were a little low on oil from the factory.
"Experienced user"
IonicRipper - 10.18.12, 5:48 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Changed the oil yesterday, I swear the shocks were filled with water!

Its much better now with 40wt, going to testing that out today.