Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Food for thought!"
thefoodman52 - 10.28.12, 5:55 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Anybody know if there are any alternatives to the stock plastic idler gear and rear diff? I honestly don't care how noisy it gets, I just don't like how weak those 2 can be under bashing stress.

I'll continue looking around through the forums and various other sites... but... I can't seem to find any as of late. I don't MIND having the stock plastic ones... but it sure is a pain to replace them both. Just for secuirty's sake, as well.

Aluminum or steel would be an awesome find.

-Located parts-

*Robinson Racing steel idler*

-edit-

Seems I'm not the only one having this. It appears as though more parts would have to be stolen from the XXX-T. Particularly because it's differential isn't a metal-gear diff, and is a ball-diff instead. Robinson also makes a hardened steel diff gear for that as well. I'm fairly certain that the transmission housing is identical from XXX-SCT to XXX-T, or the Speed-T. Correct me if I'm wrong on this assumption, but I'd essentially just have to build me up a XXX-T diff, and slap it in, to get my all-metal transmission going (along with that RR steel idler).
(Last edited by thefoodman52 : 10.31.12 at 8:39 am)
"Food for thought!"
thefoodman52 - 11.01.12, 5:23 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Anybody got anything? Any experience?
"In the mirror you'll see a dog"
Rodarbal - 11.01.12, 5:34 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I haven't had my XXX-T and XXX-SCT trannies apart to have the components sitting side by side, but most likely a drop-in replacement as both have a 2.43:1 drive ratio.

I'm not running serious horsepower in either one (3300 kV sensorless brushless). I'm running a ball diff in the T and the stock gear diff with 5k wt oil in the SCT. My son and I race and bash both of them. I've got kevlar spurs in both and adjust the slipper accordingly to whatever terrain we run on.

Good luck!
RJ Labrador
Pavement: M05, Mi3.5, Mi4LP & Mi4CXL
Dirt: MBX6 Eco, XXX-SCT & XXX-T MF1
Bash: RC-10T & the CLOD!
"Food for thought!"
thefoodman52 - 11.01.12, 6:35 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
That's the only problem I have. The idler and diff gears strip after a few months of use, even with the slipper on there pretty loose. (3ft+ before the slipper stops slipping from dead stop under full power).

Until then, I've just been conservative with driving under power. No more attempting to control pitch in-air either, I'm afraid I'll just munch more gears on landing.
"In the mirror you'll see a dog"
Rodarbal - 11.01.12, 7:01 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Understandable! As long as the XXX tranny has been around, I'm bit surprised there's not a metal gear offering. I have stripped idlers in my RC10T as wells as in my SC10. That in turn eats up the diff gear. I suppose it's a matter of time before I strip the ones in either of my Losis.
RJ Labrador
Pavement: M05, Mi3.5, Mi4LP & Mi4CXL
Dirt: MBX6 Eco, XXX-SCT & XXX-T MF1
Bash: RC-10T & the CLOD!
"Experienced user"
littlemel - 11.02.12, 1:41 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I am running a 8.5 motor and have never had an issue, and I even run my slipper with no slip. While I have heard alot of people have issues with them.
"Food for thought!"
thefoodman52 - 11.02.12, 4:14 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
You may run a faster motor, but I beat the crap out of mine.

I already ruined 2 bearings in the thing. (the ones outboard of the differential housong). Need new hub carriers, new hexes...etc.
(Last edited by thefoodman52 : 11.02.12 at 4:19 pm)
"Experienced user"
Drewderzslash - 11.03.12, 7:10 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Rodarbal said
I haven't had my XXX-T and XXX-SCT trannies apart to have the components sitting side by side, but most likely a drop-in replacement as both have a 2.43:1 drive ratio.

I'm not running serious horsepower in either one (3300 kV sensorless brushless). I'm running a ball diff in the T and the stock gear diff with 5k wt oil in the SCT. My son and I race and bash both of them. I've got kevlar spurs in both and adjust the slipper accordingly to whatever terrain we run on.

Good luck!
Problem: the losi XXX-SCT gear Diff transmission (STOCK) is 2.19:1, while the XXX[T]-CR/TLR tuning kit included BALL diff transmission is 2.43:1.
both transmissions use different cases, and the upper shafts and idler gears cross over. the differentials are different in teeth count, so if you run one in the wrong case you will mess up the teeth, like many do.
(Last edited by Drewderzslash : 11.03.12 at 7:13 pm)
Andrew T. Larson
"Experienced user"
Drewderzslash - 11.03.12, 7:12 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
thefoodman52 said
You may run a faster motor, but I beat the crap out of mine.

I already ruined 2 bearings in the thing. (the ones outboard of the differential housong). Need new hub carriers, new hexes...etc.
well, you must be putting alot of power through it, what are you running?
Andrew T. Larson
"Food for thought!"
thefoodman52 - 11.04.12, 3:43 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Just a velineon combo...