Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 11.15.12, 8:16 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hey guys.

I got my new Wheely King today. I'm starting a new thread to list my thoughts about it now that it's gotten here.

A little background.

I had a 2wd ECX Ruckus monster truck last year. I really liked it. It was my favorite basher type truck, but unfortunately I ended up selling it to get some money to pay some bills after getting sick early this year. I then changed directions with RC and started going into more "scale" vehicles.

I really liked the scalers, but my desire to have some faster vehicles began to bubble up, so I started looking for faster stuff that mixed with my desire to have things more scale and realistic, and I ended up with a DTX Baja Bug, followed by an HPI Mini Trophy Truck. With those, I was able to have my scale appearance but also have some vehicles that were a bit faster than the scalers.

Anyways, my desire to have a monster truck continued, and I thought about getting another ECX Ruckus, but I really wanted something that was four wheel drive. I ended up looking at the HPI Wheely King. I found that the newest version of the truck has waterproof electronics, a different looking body, and the frame had been changed from silver to black.

To me, the truck looked like a real monster truck aesthetically, and the price as really right. I ended up paying $189.99 after the coupons from Tower for the 2012 Wheely King, which is RTR right down to the batteries. Now, sure, it's only a 2000mah 6 cell NiMH, but I can't really complain bout a free battery.

The truck arrived today, and I got it unpacked this evening.

My first impression was that HPI does box work really well. The box is really nice looking, and to me it really gets the point across that the truck is a monster truck. You can clearly see how large the wheels are compared to the body, and you can see the chassis and the way it's designed pretty well, also.

I then cracked the box open, and found the truck packaged well. This is my second HPI product, and both of them were packaged really well. The Wheely King is nicely packaged between some cardboard braces that are designed to hold it in place. The radio is wrapped in some SERIOUS bubble wrap, and the manuals are all nicely tucked along the side of everything.

The first impression of the truck is "It's a bit smaller than I thought." I don't really know how big I expected it to be. I may have been slightly spoiled by the "1/12" scale that the Mini Trophy Truck is, as that truck's "1/12" scale is more like a TRUE 1/10th scale, so I guess I figured the Wheely King to be similar in size to the Mini Trophy, but it's not...it's definitely smaller. I would say it's more on par with what I THOUGHT a 1/12th scale truck should be.

To me, this isn't a problem. I don't need the monster truck to be huge. It's definitely not super small, just smaller than I anticipated.

I then grabbed it out of the box, and like always the first thing I really did was take a look at the radio. This is a 2.4ghz radio system, which is different than my other HPI radio which is only an AM system. It fells nice in my hand, and I like the feel of the steering wheel. Oddly enough, it's actually a three channel radio, which is cool. I haven't looked to see if the receiver is actually a three channel one, but I'm guessing it is. The third channel is just a simple "On/Off" channel, but it's nice that it's on there for anything that someone might want to add later.

All in all, for an RTR radio, it seems pretty nice.

I then pulled the truck out, which I always do last, because it's the best part...kind of like waiting to eat your cake until after dinner.

I wasn't at all let down by the truck. It may have been a bit smaller than I had anticipated, but man is it ever cool looking.

The body, to me, is VERY cool looking. I really like the look of it, as far as it's actual form goes, and the graphics work to me is top notch as well. It's a really cool looking truck.

I think the wheels and tires on it look great. To me, they look like they are about the right size for the body for it to be an actual scale monster truck. They aren't too big, but they definitely aren't too small. The wheels finished in chrome is a great way to set off the darker colors of the body and the black frame.

Speaking of the black frame, I think it's much nicer looking than the silver frame that I have seen on other Wheely Kings. I've always found silver plastic to look a bit cheap...the black doesn't have that trait, and it looks like a real tube frame that's been fabbed up for a one off custom truck.

The body pins are easy to remove, and with the body off it's easy to see how everything on the truck works. The battery mounts in the back to help with wheely action, which can be reversed to put the weight more over the front axle if you want. I will probably not be doing this any time soon. The battery box looks plenty big enough to hold a normal sized 2s hard case LiPo.

The axles look nice, and everything seems put together really well. I can definitely see what people are saying when they mention that the servo on the truck is a bit...ummm...interesting. It seems virtually impossible for HPI to have possibly made the steering setup MORE complex, which seems like it makes it a weak link. I will probably be upgrading to an axle mount servo, but I'm going to give the stock setup a chance just to see how it goes.

Here's one final picture for this first picture...it's just a slight different angle than that first one.

I didn't get a chance to drive the truck tonight, as I didn't get home from work until pretty late and it's pretty cold outside. I hope to get a chance to drive it in the next day or so. I am currently charging the stock battery, as I always like to give a truck a test drive before putting my own battery plug on the ESC in case I have to return the product.

Overall, my initial impressions of the truck are very good. I think it's going to fit my needs pretty well.

***EDIT***

Here's the video that I got the first time at the track on 11/19.

(watch this on YouTube for more options)

I got 45 minutes of run time on a 5000mah battery, and when I got it home it had only used 2500mah, so I'm guessing I could easily have gotten 75 minutes of run time with no issues.

When I was done, the motor and ESC were both really cool...it was 58 degrees outside, and I would guess that neither the motor or ESC was over 80 degrees...if that.

The truck ran really well. I had a ton of fun. I really like the way it jumped and bounced around. Really seemed like a real monster truck.

The ONLY issue I had was when I was done, I managed to break the servo saver. I did this by trying to ram the truck up to the top of the down ramp and one of the wheels got caught between the ramp and the wall and they went one way while I was trying to steer the other. While this kind of sucked, it was in fact what the servo saver is supposed to do. It broke so that the servo wouldn't, so that's okay. The breakage was entirely my fault. I probably shouldn't have been trying to drive the truck full speed up a 45 degree angled ramp of dusty boards that it had no traction on anyways...
(Last edited by Gimpdiggity : 11.20.12 at 5:27 pm)
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, Tidewater, DJI Phantom, Nano QX, Proto X Nano, Scout CX, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere
"Experienced user"
RemeCA - 11.15.12, 8:20 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
It will look better when it's muddy. You gotta show us those pictures.
Once you go LiCoO2 , you never go NiOOH.

Need an avatar? Why not (V) ( ;,,; ) (V) ?
"If it flies, I already like it"
mongdex - 11.15.12, 8:27 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
80% of my cars are used BTW.
Too many to list.

Check out my instagram: instagram(dot)com/mongkolls
Youtube: youtube(dot)com/user/mongdex
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 11.15.12, 8:34 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
mongdex said
80% of my cars are used BTW.

Yah, I know it's a good way to get great deals...but for some reason I just don't really like buying them used.

It probably comes from my experience with my B4. I bought a B4 that was "100% ready to go!!" from a seller on Ebay. The guy had good feedback and the photos looked pretty good.

When I got it, the thing was anything BUT ready to go. I ended up having to buy basically a new front end for it, all new hardware (including axles and dog bones), and an entire new set of electronics. When it was all said and done, I could have just purchased a brand new B4.1 from Tower for about $30 less than I spent on my "ready go go" used B4. Ever since then, I've been really reluctant to buy used stuff.
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, Tidewater, DJI Phantom, Nano QX, Proto X Nano, Scout CX, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 11.15.12, 8:34 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
RemeCA said
It will look better when it's muddy. You gotta show us those pictures.

In time. Hopefully I get a chance to get it outside before the winter really comes around.

I've got Mondays and Tuesdays off, and the last couple sets of them for me have been pretty cold outside.
"A little bit of everything"
User Unrelated - 11.15.12, 8:56 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I'll be watching this thread!
I thought they were a bit more expensive than that, so that's another good thing.
I also really want to tinker with that steering...
Ever since I got my first crawler, I wanted to try and figure out how to get the servo off the front axle, I think it just looks better.
if *cough* I mean WHEN I get one, I plan on really trying to make that stock setup better.
"So I says to the guy: 'What good is yous' offer to me if I ain't got no virgins to sacrifice?!'
and den he jus' sorta looked at me all blank-like for a second, an' jus flew away."
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 11.15.12, 9:02 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
User Unrelated said
I'll be watching this thread!
I thought they were a bit more expensive than that, so that's another good thing.
I also really want to tinker with that steering...
Ever since I got my first crawler, I wanted to try and figure out how to get the servo off the front axle, I think it just looks better.
if *cough* I mean WHEN I get one, I plan on really trying to make that stock setup better.

Agreed on the price. It really fits my "I want to buy the least expensive RC products that are still high quality" mentality pretty well. The price really fit my wallet perfectly.

The steering is definitely wonky. The servo is mounted in the front of the chassis, basically at the very front, with the servo horn coming off of the left side of the chassis.

The horn moves a plastic rod that attaches to basically a big pivot that's attached at the center of the chassis. That pivot then moves a metal rod that is attached to what is effectively ANOTHER servo horn on the front axle. That servo horn connects to the two wheels to turn them.

It's a LOT of parts, and I can see where you would lose some of your servo's power with it having to transfer through so many different moving pieces.

From the way it looks, I'm sure it works...but I've read that a lot of people like putting it on the front axle for better control.

I personally don't have too much of a problem with the servo on the front axle...sure, it doesn't look quite as scale, but it's one of the things I have been able to look past for whatever reason.

Once I drive it, I'll report back on how well the servo seems to work in it's stock location.
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 11.15.12, 10:31 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Well, I took it out and drove it for just a minute. The battery wasn't fully charged, I just wanted to make sure that it actually ran.

It ran just fine. The only issue I found was that I THINK the ESC is almost set up like a crawler ESC. By that I mean the ESC goes in forward, and then when I go to brake it instantly goes into reverse.

I've been looking in the manual, and it doesn't say that this is possible. I'm wondering if the brake power is just higher than I'm used to, and coupled with the high center of gravity it makes the truck seem as if it's going into reverse when it's actually just stopping.

I'm also wondering if me using a battery that was just barely charged was causing it to act a bit wonky.

I'll do some more testing tomorrow or later this weekend to check.

***EDIT***

I did some more checking. Turns out the truck comes with the ESC setup stock in LiPo mode, so I changed that to NiMH mode and then tested the brake, and it worked just fine.

I'm wondering if the thing was acting a bit wonky because of the fact that I had a NiMH in there with a LiPo setting, so I'm guessing that I was basically past LVC already.

With it setup in NiMH mode, it ran just fine with the brake working correctly, and reverse working correctly.
(Last edited by Gimpdiggity : 11.15.12 at 10:54 pm)
"Used User"
dglewis89 - 11.15.12, 11:22 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Odd it comes with a nimh batt and is set up for lipo. My little bro ha one of the older ones a while back and it was a great rig. I'm super tempted to get one, for all the same reasons you picked this up.

I have lots of go fast tucks and a crawler that's water proof. but I would never get my nice trucks wet with all the nice gear in them, and I couldn't bear and signs of rust on them.

I look foreword to your thoughts and whatnot on this truck. Talk me into getting one, lol.

*Edit*

I remember the battery going inside a box. Is this still the case? Any way to test fit a standard 5000 2s lipo?

Thanks!
(Last edited by dglewis89 : 11.15.12 at 11:25 pm)
Losi: XXX-SCT, XXX-T, Jr. T, Mini-T, Micro-T. HPI: Savage X E-Conversion. Traxxas: Mid Motor Rustler, Stampede. Axial: SCX10. Blade: Nano QX.
"Experienced jumper"
teamflux - 11.16.12, 5:28 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
It seems you cant escape cars with quirky steering !
60mph 3s powered firestorm flux

Savage xs ss