Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 11.24.12, 2:39 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I like desert style vehicles, short course, pre-runner, Class 1, Class 5 etc.

I have a Slash:

I have a Baja Bug:

Now I have been inspired by a rather amazing builder called Topolino in Brazil and in particular this thread.

So I just ordered an SC8 rollcage which will be combined with the spare stampede running gear I have (rear/front ends) and a slash or diy chassis of some sort to make something like this (hopefully):
(Last edited by tachikoma1373 : 11.29.12 at 5:30 am)
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 11.29.12, 6:10 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Well my SC8 Rollcage turned up from Wheelspin Models today so I spent my lunch hour putting it together and moking this up a little bit.

Pic 1: Rear of Roll Cage

Pic 2: Front of Roll Cage

Pic 3: Assembled Roll Cage

Pic 4: Mock up front view

Pic 5: Mock up side view

Pic 5: Mock up rear view

Obviously still got a long way to go but its great to get a sense of how its going to work.

I hope to get to the local DIY shop and get some aluminium(yes that is the correct way to spell aluminium ) plate to form a LCG, the slash chassis will then be trimmed (at the front), lowered and fastened to the chassis to add rigidity and keep rubbish out.

I want to add "firewalls" right across the front and back of the inside of the rollcage, again to keep the crap out.

I hope to bend the chassis up at the back right around the motor/transmission case so I can mount the roll cage, box in the rear end and possible use it as a new suspennsion mount. I may have to do that in 2 bits though - chassis as one and engine wrap-suspension/body mount as another.

At the front I'll I plan to use the front end of a stampede chassis to centre mount the steering servo.

Wheels/Tyres will probably use the same approach as I have on the rears of my Baja Bug Project - proline beadlocks and some cheap (but pretty realistic looking) 1.9" Crawler tyres.

(see here for more on that build)

Comments and advice would be very welcome.
slash5803.wordpress.com - a (poorly maintained) blog about a small toy for a big boy
"I am experienced now?!?"
tj_7alberto - 11.29.12, 6:20 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Exciting! Subbed.
"Experienced user"
Wetterhoun - 11.29.12, 7:02 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Exciting, it is! I love the look of that roll cage on the slash chassis. You have my interest on this build!
WWW - Wetterhoun Wrecking Works - Am I driving RC cars or am I flying them!?
"Experienced user"
two250 - 11.29.12, 7:28 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Looks like it will be an awesome project. Living on the edge of the Mojave desert I too love desert inspired vehicles!
Race- LOSI: Ten-SCTE 2.0, 22T, 8ight-T 2.0 E-conversion - KYOSHO: Mini-Z
Bash- TRAXXAS: E-Revo, XO-1, Spartan - LOSI: Mirco SCT, Micro Baja - HPI: Sprint 2 Drift, Savage XS Flux - AXIAL: SCX10
"Experienced user"
mercman64 - 11.29.12, 7:34 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Im watchin this build
RC cars...... Its more than a hobby..... Its a lifestyle
Nexx8 / Jammin X1 / SCRT10 / XXX-NT / XXX-SCT / Savage XS
"you argument is, infact, valid"
MechWarrior117 - 11.29.12, 8:26 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Ditto, I wanna see how this turns out!
HPI Blitz |Castle 4pole motor, hobbywing esc, cheap hpbbypartz 2.4 ghzradio|----Traxxas Mini eRevo ----Losi Micro Rally---- Losi Micro Crawler
"Experienced user"
viper22 - 11.29.12, 8:33 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Looks good so far.
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 11.29.12, 2:22 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
I have seen some of that guy in Brazils work, crazy stuff.

Good luck with the build, I will be keeping an eye on this.
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 11.29.12, 2:27 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
topolino's scale prerunner is absolutely amazing, i personally stole some of his ideas from his slash too haha, good luck with the build man, can't wait to see what you do with it!