Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 11.29.12, 3:36 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
Well I have to say I feel like a big kid tonight...

Couldn't wait to make more progress so started to mock the body up a bit more (I've been focussed on the chassis design). So I took a few parts off my running slash (body posts etc and started to play around and ......

take a look at the pics ......

As you can see in the photos above I've re-configured the rear bumper into a hinged support that when I figure out how to connect it to the rear of the SC8 Rollcage will mean the entire cage will hinge back to allow easy acces to change batteries etc. and also provide the ideal mount points for a rear engine cowl. I intend to create a mount to take the weight of the rollcage (and impacts) rather than letting the hinge take it.

<drifts off to look at whats puzzling him......>

Thats it! Even though its a roll cage I think the highest points at the back will take a lot of punishment in roles so I'm going to have to make some support that comes directly up from the chassis underneath and rest under the main rear brace - perhaps a loop of alluminium bar that can help take the impacts and spread the load out - you know like a real roll cage does. Ah the irony.

Anyway I think it looks really really promising, especially with the piggy back shocks. Worth noting that chassis runs the JANG wide mod front and rear.

Thanks to evryone for the comments so far, inspired me tonight I'm sure Can't promise progress will be massively quick but I'm an impatient bugger so... stay tuned.
slash5803.wordpress.com - a (poorly maintained) blog about a small toy for a big boy
"Experienced user"
mercman64 - 11.29.12, 4:14 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
creative work on that back bumper, im diggin it
RC cars...... Its more than a hobby..... Its a lifestyle
Nexx8 / Jammin X1 / SCRT10 / XXX-NT / XXX-SCT / Savage XS
"Experienced user"
Michigan66 - 11.29.12, 5:30 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
I'm definitely following this thread
ma baby slash
"Experienced user"
kaptain - 11.30.12, 11:56 am Post #14: | Reply With Quote
What material are you using for the body panel work?
"Experienced user"
slashmaxx242 - 11.30.12, 3:21 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
Will a normal slash body fit on top of the cage, it would be cool if it did.
Slashbashin all day
"Experienced user"
childofwar_4h - 11.30.12, 3:31 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
Looks sweet !!!!!!!!!
10 years of r/c and still learning things.
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 11.30.12, 4:01 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
kaptain said
What material are you using for the body panel work?
I'm experimenting at present to see what works best. It will probably end up being a combination of materials. The side panles you see in the picks are actually the sides of a 5L PVC container - really strong, flexible and free - I did some work today with some thin (.5mm I think) aluminium sheet which looks promising but I want to redo. I'm hoping to get some work done tomorrow after I've been on a materials hunt at the local DIY and Hobby stores.

slashmaxx242 said
Will a normal slash body fit on top of the cage, it would be cool if it did.
Do you know what I haven't even tried that yet - doh! I'll try it tomorrow and post a pic if its any good.

Any body got any thoughts on wheel/tyre sizes?

With the trenchers on that chassis I like the width but the 4.25" diameter just feels slightly too small. At the same time I can't help thinking that something like an axial ripsaw at 5.5" is just going to be too big. Definately has to be scale looking and fit with the "class 1" look whatever it is.

Hopefully there will be more to see tomorrow
slash5803.wordpress.com - a (poorly maintained) blog about a small toy for a big boy
"Zip-da-dee-doo-daa"
jhtfarquhar - 11.30.12, 5:34 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
well, check out RC4wd, they have some cool tires in 2.2" size, here they are:

here are tires with a 4.8" diameter

http://store.rc4wd.com/Gauntlet-Scal...res_p_720.html

http://store.rc4wd.com/Mud-Slingers-...air_p_725.html

and (The most scale for a class 1 buggy build)

http://store.rc4wd.com/Mickey-Thomps...es_p_2384.html
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 11.30.12, 7:47 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
tachikoma1373, love the build but that Slash is filthy --- almost as bad as mine --- almost.
radio-control-ophile
sometimes your RC rips up the dirt sometimes the dirt rips up your RC
"Experienced user"
mercman64 - 11.30.12, 8:19 pm Post #20: | Reply With Quote
lol, i agree, it would have been impossible for me to start a build like that without deep cleaning first
RC cars...... Its more than a hobby..... Its a lifestyle
Nexx8 / Jammin X1 / SCRT10 / XXX-NT / XXX-SCT / Savage XS