Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 12.03.12, 11:17 am Post #21: | Reply With Quote
Not done a lot recently but have redone the panels in some plastic cut from some storage box lids that I got for 1 penny each from the local DiY superstore. Not sure it will hold upo but its pretty damned tough and flexible, also bends nicely with heat applied and can be cut with a sharp knife. It also adds some rigidity to the cage.

I decide to go with a combination of cable ties and screws for mounting the panels and used tie wraps on the rollcage/engine mount

I think I need to get the chassis sorted as without it I'm not going to be able to get the body looking as clean as I want it. So a pause whilst I get my chassis design sorted and bits a ordered - shouldn't be too long - couple of days - as I'm eager to crack on with the build

Thanks for the links for the RC4WD stuff - the scale baja stuff is tempting but not cheap, especially as I'll have probably have to import and may get hit for tax. Think it needs to be something 4.5" - 5" diameter tops. I shall keep digging and please feel free to add further ideas.

Oh yes I tried the stock body over the top and its way to wide - doesn't fit into the cabin space if that makes sense.

I tried the thin alumium but I was comfortable with what I achieved so I scrapped it and tried the plastic again.

Anyway here are a few shots...

slash5803.wordpress.com - a (poorly maintained) blog about a small toy for a big boy
"Experienced user"
mercman64 - 12.03.12, 11:29 am Post #22: | Reply With Quote
Get some side cutters out and trim those zip tie flags for petes sake. lol
RC cars...... Its more than a hobby..... Its a lifestyle
Nexx8 / Jammin X1 / SCRT10 / XXX-NT / XXX-SCT / Savage XS
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 12.04.12, 12:30 pm Post #23: | Reply With Quote
Well the chassis journey had to start somewhere so here it is....

It's not the type of chassis I hope to have in the end but I wanted to get to understand my materials, tools requirements and my own capabilities a little better so I decided to knock something up using an old stampede chassis. It's not pretty and there is more work to do (I'm obviously noit going to hold it together with cable ties ) but you get the idea - it's not like stretched stampede chassis are a revalation

The aluminium channel fits nicely over the side of the chassis, I'll be bolting through the channel and chassis parts (vertically) using some 25mm M3 bolts and then filling the gap with some of the same plastic I used for the body panels.

Thats all for now.

[EDIT]
Forgot to say it's now the same length as a slash chassis. What I hope this chassis will allow me to do is make the firewalls inside the front and rear of the cage to be much easier to shape - the chassis not being as complex a shape as the slash chassis and having a centre mounted servo makes life easier as well.
(Last edited by tachikoma1373 : 12.04.12 at 3:41 pm)
slash5803.wordpress.com - a (poorly maintained) blog about a small toy for a big boy
"a pioneer in rc tomfoolery"
edfjets101 - 12.04.12, 1:54 pm Post #24: | Reply With Quote
a lengthened pede chassis?? havent seen that before, if it works i might do that with mine, as i have one of those laying around...
I dont crash, i just loose altitude and airspeed simultaneously!
"Experienced user"
STEEL-CITY-CRWL - 12.04.12, 3:15 pm Post #25: | Reply With Quote
i stretched out a pede chasis, and even used the slash bell cranks for the steering, here is the link to my thread:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...=152423&page=2

EDIT: after looking at your pics, i was just wondering, why would you want to use a stretched pede chassis for this buid? for once, the really wide width of the slash chassis pan looks to be spot on for the width of this. just my two cents, though...
(Last edited by STEEL-CITY-CRWL : 12.04.12 at 4:58 pm)
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 12.05.12, 5:03 am Post #26: | Reply With Quote
STEEL-CITY-CRWL said
EDIT: after looking at your pics, i was just wondering, why would you want to use a stretched pede chassis for this buid? for once, the really wide width of the slash chassis pan looks to be spot on for the width of this. just my two cents, though...
The problem is mainly that due to the way in which the slash chassis lines up with the roll cage - the firewalls will be a pain in the *** to shape and fit. The stampede chassis will make the whole job cleaner. The slash chassis also pushes out the roll cage width a little as well (approx 10mm overall) which doesn't seem much but makes me feel uncomfortable.

Ultimately I'm hoping to source a LOSI 8 chassis plate and do some mods to it :-) to get a good LCG - as a few other people around here have done.

Thanks for the input though - helps me to think things through and be sure (ish) about what I'm doing.
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 12.05.12, 12:13 pm Post #27: | Reply With Quote
Looks good man , has potential
"The predator lives alone, he accepts this reality as the cost for his existence "
"Experienced user"
Pro2-Slash - 12.06.12, 7:18 pm Post #28: | Reply With Quote
how bout some 1/8 scale buggy wheels??
^^^^^^^^^^Traxxas Slash All The Way!!^^^^^^^^^^
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 12.07.12, 2:56 am Post #29: | Reply With Quote
Pro2-Slash said
how bout some 1/8 scale buggy wheels??
Buggy wheels are just soooo ugly - i like a more scale look. If you can suggest some wheel and tyre combo's that have a more scale look rather than a big flat plastic dish wrapped in rubber then I'll take a look
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 12.07.12, 4:41 am Post #30: | Reply With Quote
lookin good