Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 12.08.12, 7:10 pm Post #41: | Reply With Quote
A tray sandwich may very well " . . . help hide those ugly interior views that will spoil the semi-scale look . . . "
radio-control-ophile
sometimes your RC rips up the dirt sometimes the dirt rips up your RC
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 12.09.12, 4:28 am Post #42: | Reply With Quote
mercman64 said
Why do you want to stack overtrays?.
I don't. The jconcepts is an overtray

and the proline is an undertray.

They opbviously both fit around the existing chassis so I suspect one will not easily fit on top of the other because they will have the same/very similar dimensions - but if they do then the pro-line will looks like it will fit really well under the rollcage and give me the firewalls all around. The jconcepts would then give me a semi selaed electronics compartment and form a really good platform on which to mount any interior bits - seats/figures/cockpit details etc.

I may just make my own lid anyway as I mentioned earlier nobody sees to stock jconcepts stuff this side of the pond.
slash5803.wordpress.com - a (poorly maintained) blog about a small toy for a big boy
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 12.09.12, 11:14 am Post #43: | Reply With Quote
So a slight change of plan - as may of been hinted at by my purchase of the slash undertray (which is now ordered, along with the 2.8 badlands ).

I'm sticking with the Slash chassis as a basis for now. I'll come back to a custom chassis at a later stage when I've done more research, thinking, and improved my available tool sets - with that I won't be happy with the quality.

In light of that decision I mounted up the front body mount and rear body support (I say that because the roll cage doesn't clip on at the rear becasue of the hinge.

I'm hoping to do less trimmimg on the under tray to see if I can create some sort of front and rear wrap arounds that will create "sides panels" that cover the front suspension mount and create a rear "engine bay" sides - hope that makes sense?> Probably not This might help though
slash5803.wordpress.com - a (poorly maintained) blog about a small toy for a big boy
"Experienced user"
Wetterhoun - 12.09.12, 11:53 am Post #44: | Reply With Quote
I have an JConcepts overtray which works very well in keeping water and dirt out (better than the Outerwares Shroud), although the temperature of my battery pack and ESC rise. That's why I have cut a square like opening in the front of the overtray to let some air in. I glued a piece of Outerwares Shroud in this opening, so fresh air can get in, but water and dirt won't.

I was thinking the same thing. Use a undertray from Proline and the overtray as lit. This way the Slash will be realy waterproof and dirt won't stand a change, plus it looks nice if you paint the under- and overtray, say in black. You won't be able to see the wires, servo and so, through the wheel wells. I have seen someone do it, but I don't recall where it was...
WWW - Wetterhoun Wrecking Works - Am I driving RC cars or am I flying them!?
"Rally Enthusiast"
rcrunkle - 12.09.12, 12:08 pm Post #45: | Reply With Quote
Hows the scale aspect coming? If I want a scale product I would do the body and scale aspects first
Some say he tought Star Wars was a documentary, others say he was raised by a pack of wolves...

All we know is that he's the Stig!
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 12.12.12, 10:36 am Post #46: | Reply With Quote
Well a little bit more progress recently. Constructed the "engine shroud" from one of my favourite free resources - old DVD cases.

Apparently my undertray and tyres are on the way so hopefully I'll be able to make some real progress over the weekend. I'm really hoping my ideas about the undertray trimming are going to give good results and I'm looking forward to seeing what the wheel & tyres look like :-)

I won't be starting on anything really scale until I've got all the core body and chassis elements sorted to my satisfaction. I'm an impatient bugger at the best of times but I determined to be happy with this so working slowly and being prepared to redo stuff that doesn't work is the way I have to approach it. Don't get me wrong this is not going to be a shelf queen full on scale job, but.... I know what I want OK?
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 12.12.12, 10:42 am Post #47: | Reply With Quote
That shroud looks great. You're quite the craftsman. Thanks for the project thread.
radio-control-ophile
sometimes your RC rips up the dirt sometimes the dirt rips up your RC
"Experienced user"
Wetterhoun - 12.12.12, 10:56 pm Post #48: | Reply With Quote
DrJVogel said
That shroud looks great. You're quite the craftsman. Thanks for the project thread.
+1

Please keep us infirmed about this great build!
WWW - Wetterhoun Wrecking Works - Am I driving RC cars or am I flying them!?
"Experienced user"
riderinblack - 12.12.12, 11:11 pm Post #49: | Reply With Quote
Man I love this thing, the rear , the sides , the cage everything but the boxy hood , any way one would be able to -[b][DISALLOWED -- edit your post][/b]--[b][DISALLOWED -- edit your post][/b]--[b][DISALLOWED -- edit your post][/b]--[b][DISALLOWED -- edit your post][/b]- the hood of a bajr body and slap it on there? I think that would push it through the roof ,as the bajr already has that class1 style hood . just my 2 cents
"The predator lives alone, he accepts this reality as the cost for his existence "
"Experienced user"
tachikoma1373 - 12.13.12, 12:21 am Post #50: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for the kind words people, appreciated. Especially coming from people who's work and opinions I have developed a lot of respect for.

riderinblack - the hood - "thanks for bringing that up" he says in his best sarcastic voice you're right though and I'm hoping to come back to that a little later. I'm considering some kind of support up the center, between the rollcage and hood itself, to create a curve or at least some angle to the hood.

Late last night I also (re)discoverd the Pro-Line Pro-Driver SC Clear Interior which my LHS has in stock. I'm thinking of using it as I was considering with the jconcepts overtray. It would need "thinning" as it's 203mm wide and the inside of the rollcage is about 190mm so it would lose the side panel bits but I think it might work - I need to find some better pictures or ideally see one before deciding though.

Being the only kid in the house means I don't have any action figures to butcher as drivers either

If anyone has one of these BTW I'd be greatful if you could measure the rollcage width behind the drivers head and the bit were it thins out towards the rear. Then I might be able to tell if it will fit inside the roll cage.

On a sepearte topic if anyone has any advice on a starting point for the suspension, particulaly oil wt, I'd be interested - particulalrly you riderinblack as I LOVE the way your suspension works - the "ghost" effect look great in your vids and thats what I'd like to achieve. I notice you have gmade piggybacks now so keen to understand your new config.