Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
RichBee - 12.16.12, 4:12 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Just toying with the idea of a LCG chassis for my 2WD Slash. Im not racing seriously but am running solely on a track. Am wanting to go the custom route rather than just a straight swap for a ProLine, Slice etc.

Have seen various conversions using the Rustler chassis, chopped in the centre, rear extensions and obviously STRC's extension plates.

Haven't seen anywhere a simple front extension of the Rustler lower chassis. Any one tried this, any thoughts ?
"Shake n' Bake"
indy34096 - 12.16.12, 5:21 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
The only reason the front extension isn't favored is because you have a kickup angle to deal with and compensate for, and you have the steering system that will be out of whack in relation to where it's engineered to run.

It's just so much simpler to extend the rear of the chassis.
Associated B4.1 FT, Associated RC10 Classic, ProBoat Impulse 26
He passed me, so I rammed him. -- Rocket Rex Staten
MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!
Larry's Performance R/C's Frequent
"Experienced user"
RichBee - 12.16.12, 8:55 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
indy34096 said
The only reason the front extension isn't favored is because you have a kickup angle to deal with and compensate for, and you have the steering system that will be out of whack in relation to where it's engineered to run.

It's just so much simpler to extend the rear of the chassis.
Am i right in thinking though that the Rustler conversion at the front joint doesn't reach the kick up but joins on flat at the underside of the front bulkhead ?

Was thinking of an extension plate from here braced with the upper chassis piece as usual. (will the joint be too weak at the bulkhead maybe ?) With a brace from the newly fabricated mounting posts (on the extension plate) of the upper chassis to the usual mounting points in the lower chassis.

Worth a try, or headed for disaster ?

Main reason im looking toward the front rather than the rear is that there's less weight hanging from an extension plate at the front than there is the rear.
(Last edited by RichBee : 12.16.12 at 9:01 am)
"Used Experiencer"
raygunpanda - 12.16.12, 9:19 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
if you think about it, when you extend the rear, it moves the battery farther away from the rear wheels and motor, therefor giving you less rear weight. and according to Dr Isotope ( me thinks he said it ) the STRC lcg kit has 1% less rear weight than the stock slash. hope this helps
"Experienced user"
RichBee - 12.16.12, 9:37 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
raygunpanda said
if you think about it, when you extend the rear, it moves the battery farther away from the rear wheels and motor, therefor giving you less rear weight. and according to Dr Isotope ( me thinks he said it ) the STRC lcg kit has 1% less rear weight than the stock slash. hope this helps
Aaah, thats just ruined that bit of logic then.......

I guess im thinking of it as the actual weight of components at the extent of the extended piece. Thinking that it may impart less stress where it joins the Rustler chassis......back to the drawing board. :-)
(Last edited by RichBee : 12.16.12 at 9:39 am)
"Black and Gold"
blakktalon - 12.16.12, 9:42 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
The extra weight from the strc lcg kit is
Dr. Isotope said
An STRC LCG Slash has about 1% less rear weight than a stock Slash.
"Experienced user"
billzkustomz - 12.16.12, 11:07 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
and that is why my slash looks like this.

"Used Experiencer"
raygunpanda - 12.16.12, 11:15 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
what chassis is that?? the only thing i would say about it, is that although the battery is down low, and the servo is laid down... the heavy esc and receiver box are still up pretty high. and it doesnt look like you have much room for a bigger battery, or any room to slide that one around.
"Experienced user"
billzkustomz - 12.16.12, 11:19 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
its the integy fiberglass one.. it has plenty of room i just have alot of foam inside the tray.. my rx is a fs one and it weighs nothing lol
"Experienced user"