Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Black and Gold"
blakktalon - 12.16.12, 7:19 pm Post #21: | Reply With Quote
billzkustomz said
I dont think 12 inches is enough, I have 14" 5/8 inches from the back of my lcg to the front... where the bulkhead bolts on. If your intent was to use this as a solid bottom. You would have a slightly shorter rustler wheelbase slash.
"Used Experiencer"
raygunpanda - 12.16.12, 7:23 pm Post #22: | Reply With Quote
yeah my chassis is just under 16"
"Experienced user"
RichBee - 12.16.12, 10:39 pm Post #23: | Reply With Quote
Any chance someone could post a close up pic of the front of a Rustler lower chassis. Am just after seeing the area, close up, where it joins the bulkhead. A side on would be great......see if its bevelled, flat etc.

Thanks.
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 12.16.12, 11:19 pm Post #24: | Reply With Quote
The part that the bulkhead bolts onto is flat the problem with extending the front is you mess up your geometry in the front unless you want to make a custom top plate and bell crank this is not the way to do it.

Edit
The kick up comes from the bulkhead. There are also dimples for bell crank

Its not a rustler chassis but it shows how bulkhead attaches

another picture for strc lcg
(Last edited by hazardouschurch : 12.16.12 at 11:22 pm)
CARNAGE
"Experienced user"
RichBee - 12.16.12, 11:35 pm Post #25: | Reply With Quote
Thanks for that....
"Experienced user"
RichBee - 12.17.12, 1:02 am Post #26: | Reply With Quote
hazardouschurch said
Just get two rusler chassis and combine them in the middle.
That is the other way i may go, if the front extension doesn't work i can still use the Rustler chassis i've messed with for the rear section of that, so nothing lost. Will give me something to mess about with over the Christmas break.

Cheers for the pointers so far guys.
"RC Nut"
edgeverse - 12.18.12, 9:21 am Post #27: | Reply With Quote
Hazardous, I have seen the 2 rustler chassis thing before. Some guy on youtube did it.
Redcat Racing Backdraft 8e/HPI Blitz/Slash 4x4 Ultimate/Exceed RC Rally Monster/Traxxas Slash (LCG)/ECX Ruckus Converted/Associated MGT4.6
"Experienced user"
RichBee - 12.18.12, 10:02 am Post #28: | Reply With Quote
edgeverse said
Hazardous, I have seen the 2 rustler chassis thing before. Some guy on youtube did it.
Yeah have seen the videos on You Tube, 4 parts posted on there. Liked the idea of the 2 chassis combined, didnt like the finish of it with the aluminium angle just bolted through though.

Where its been suggested that extending the front will mess with the geometry, am i not right in thinking that the Rustler Upper Chassis piece holds the servo and has the bellcrank posts built in. If the upper is left in the normal position and only the lower extended wont this keep the geometry the same?

I realise ive got to build in support posts for the rear of the Upper, probably braced back to the normal support points on the Lower Chassis with tie rods. But if i do this shouldn't the steering still remain correct?

Thanks all.
"きりと"
hazardouschurch - 12.18.12, 1:11 pm Post #29: | Reply With Quote
The bottom of the chassis has two dimples for bolts thats where you are running into problems. You could move them but they have to be very precisely placed and are temperamental i ruined my current aluminum pan because of mistakes like that. The positon of the bell crank how far apart they are all effect ackerman, Bump steer, and make it harder to tune. If you dont know what these are try and learn before messing with geometry you will save yourself some frustration.
CARNAGE
"Experienced user"
RichBee - 12.18.12, 8:43 pm Post #30: | Reply With Quote
hazardouschurch said
The bottom of the chassis has two dimples for bolts thats where you are running into problems. You could move them but they have to be very precisely placed and are temperamental i ruined my current aluminum pan because of mistakes like that. The positon of the bell crank how far apart they are all effect ackerman, Bump steer, and make it harder to tune. If you dont know what these are try and learn before messing with geometry you will save yourself some frustration.
Thanks for your reply again. To try and get the bellcrank boltholes in the right position i'd thought i would first form the bulkhead mounting point on the extension piece. Bolt the new extension piece to the Rustler lower (at the bulkhead points) before doing anything more and drill through where the dimple bolt holes are. Should be in exactly the right position then in realtion to the standard Rustler upper. Right?

Thanks again for all the replies, i know there are lots of questions just hoping to do it right once rather than a few times because i didnt ask. Right time to read up on Ackerman and bump steer. Cheers.