Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
AbSoLooT - 1.03.13, 11:24 am Post #31: | Reply With Quote
iHasRc said
does anyone know what the BEC amp rating claims to be? The website conveniently leaves this info out...
mamba monsters can pump out to 7.4v. The Sidewinder pumps out 5.5 pre-set. Originally sidewinder stayed at 5.5, V2 u can adjust to 6.0V I believe. I have em all, just tryn to remember. (unless these are new additions and have diff specs)
"Experienced user"
eyesoft_2002 - 1.03.13, 4:09 pm Post #32: | Reply With Quote
AbSoLooT said
I disagree with the above statement. Il pay the extra, to have the brand name and support. Hobbywing products are okay, however Id take the Waterproof Mamba Monster anyday. Plus I also very much prefer the Castle Link. I have heard bad things about Hobbywings customer service. id rather be able to pay a small cost to get my ESC replaced/fixed if i break.

I LOVE this... Except I dont know why they forgot to do a Mamba Max Pro Waterproof esc?!!! Hopefully its in the works

I LOVE they did this with the Mamba Monster however... This will make tons of RCs waterproof... All the 8th scales. E-Revos, Etc.... This would be perfect for a summit n such also.

Now if only they'd release more than 2 waterproof Servos!!!!!!!!!

This reminds me of the clever samsung commercial... when will we get higher amp rating? on the next model for sure! earphone plug on the bottom.. mind blown...
"Experienced user"
Sierravmax - 1.03.13, 4:43 pm Post #33: | Reply With Quote
AbSoLooT said
mamba monsters can pump out to 7.4v. The Sidewinder pumps out 5.5 pre-set. Originally sidewinder stayed at 5.5, V2 u can adjust to 6.0V I believe. I have em all, just tryn to remember. (unless these are new additions and have diff specs)
He asked for amp ratings, not volt ratings
Traxxas - XO1 GT8 XL2, 2200kv, Hitec 985mg + Rally 2400kv + Slash 4x4 + Slayer Pro
Losi - SCTE Bump, Hitec 985mg, Tekin Rx8, Tenshock sc411 4600kv + 8 Te 7955tg,Tekin Rx8 2000kv
Associated - RC8.2eFT Hitec 7955tg, Tekin Rx8 2050kv + T4.1FT Hitec 965mg, MMP 3900kv
Ofna - DM1 E MMM 2200kv
"Experienced user"
Drewderzslash - 1.03.13, 5:40 pm Post #34: | Reply With Quote
the BEC voltage has never been adjustable on the sidewinder, and sidewinder sv2 as far as i know.
5.1 volts i think it was set at.
Andrew T. Larson
"Impervious to Perfection"
2genewb - 1.04.13, 1:08 am Post #35: | Reply With Quote
AbSoLooT said
I disagree with the above statement. Il pay the extra, to have the brand name and support. Hobbywing products are okay, however Id take the Waterproof Mamba Monster anyday. Plus I also very much prefer the Castle Link. I have heard bad things about Hobbywings customer service. id rather be able to pay a small cost to get my ESC replaced/fixed if i break.

I LOVE this... Except I dont know why they forgot to do a Mamba Max Pro Waterproof esc?!!! Hopefully its in the works

I LOVE they did this with the Mamba Monster however... This will make tons of RCs waterproof... All the 8th scales. E-Revos, Etc.... This would be perfect for a summit n such also.

Now if only they'd release more than 2 waterproof Servos!!!!!!!!!
you're missing the point... especially comparing the mmm to the sc8. sc8 is in the same price bracket as the sv2 and out performs it in every way... including the ability to power 4 pole motors to their full potential and high power servos.

they're not going to do the mmp. to date no respectable company who produces RC electronics has waterproofed a sensor capable ESC. traxxas' vxl dinosaur is the only one, and i wouldn't call them a respectable producer of RC electronics. they make great basher RTR's, but electronics?

personally, i will never need 5 MMP's replaced... ever... so i see no reason to pay an exorbitant premium for a promise of something i don't need. at the end of the day, the warranty simply isn't going to pay off for me.
No Cerveza, No Trabajo. Muchas Gracias.
"Experienced user"
Rafwheat - 1.04.13, 3:19 pm Post #36: | Reply With Quote
eyesoft_2002 said
This reminds me of the clever samsung commercial... when will we get higher amp rating? on the next model for sure! earphone plug on the bottom.. mind blown...
This is my issue with the Castle ESCs, their BEC have fairly low power output. Yes, you can spend more money and buy an external BEC, yet why should you have to do this when you can get an ESC with decent power, like the HobbyWing WP-SC8 ? Its BEC's output is 18 watts (6V * 3A = 18W).

I feel the HobbyWing WP-SC8 is a versitile, all around, great value ESC. At $65, I'm still looking for something better, but I have yet to find it. If you do, please let me know. I'm open to look at all options!

Take care and have fun RC'n!
Stampede 4X4, Slash 4X4 based MT Build, Slash 4X4 based E-Revo(I Love this Hobby!)
"Impervious to Perfection"
2genewb - 1.05.13, 6:20 am Post #37: | Reply With Quote
^ completely agree. this also poses the question why would someone want to raise their voltage on their internal bec to 7.4V if it still can't handle a high-draw servo? it's not going to decrease the draw. it's not like you can gear down your servo to make up for the power increase. you just wind up stressing your internal bec (and as such your ESC) even moreso.

clever gimmick... but still a gimmick...
No Cerveza, No Trabajo. Muchas Gracias.
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 1.05.13, 7:02 am Post #38: | Reply With Quote
Rafwheat said
I'm still looking for something better, but I have yet to find it. If you do, please let me know. I'm open to look at all options!
for a cheap sensorless basher setup, I don't have any complaints with my Aeolian ESC's which support up to 4S and require no mods to the cooling fan and include an LED brake light component, though I haven't figured out how to get that optional feature to work yet:

$26 - 60A: http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124583
$36 - 100A: http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...89#post1606689
Club Racer: SCT + eBuggy + GT8e + GT18e + USGT + VTA + M12
Basher:
Monster Trucks + Crawlers + Drifters + Motorcycles

"Experienced user"
Rafwheat - 1.05.13, 9:03 am Post #39: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
for a cheap sensorless basher setup, I don't have any complaints with my Aeolian ESC's which support up to 4S and require no mods to the cooling fan and include an LED brake light component, though I haven't figured out how to get that optional feature to work yet:........

@BillDeLong: Thanks for the input. The 100Amp HobbyKing HK-100A ESC does looks interesting for a super low cost setup.

The internal BEC is not bad at 16.5 watts (5.5V * 3A). However, I do prefer a Waterproof ESC just for the piece of mind when running in the Rain, Snow, Puddles, Etc. - The HK website does not state that this ESC is Waterproof, yet it looks like it may be sealed OK, and you can seal the solder connections with silicone caulk or liquid tape easy enough. I also prefer the input capacitors to be mounted to the PCB, versus loose wired to flop around.

This ESC appears to be a good value for a super low cost basher as you state. I guess this is when you start looking at all the subtle design & performance differences between ESCs at various price points - thus with many good ESCs below $100, my lack of understanding why Castle's high cost ESCs are popular. Is it just the marketing?

Thanks again!

Take care and have fun RC'n!
Stampede 4X4, Slash 4X4 based MT Build, Slash 4X4 based E-Revo(I Love this Hobby!)
"Experienced user"
eyesoft_2002 - 1.06.13, 8:17 am Post #40: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
for a cheap sensorless basher setup, I don't have any complaints with my Aeolian ESC's which support up to 4S and require no mods to the cooling fan and include an LED brake light component, though I haven't figured out how to get that optional feature to work yet:

$26 - 60A: http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124583
Wow. Pretty spiffy for $36 ESC! I might consider this for when I build a cheap basher for sure.