Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 1.08.13, 2:30 pm Post #21: | Reply With Quote
That is what I figured tachikoma1373.

I put the shafts on all the shocks last night and when I tore them down the seals looked a bit ragged so I bought a rebuild kit for them.

Will go with I think 50wt in the rear and either the 32 or 37.5 in the front. I plan on keeping the same Losi springs.

Any thoughts?
It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 1.08.13, 3:52 pm Post #22: | Reply With Quote
That's kinda backwards, unless you're running 3-hole pistons in the rear. Front springs tend to be higher rate and shorter length, so they require thicker oil than the rears. Most of my builds run 5-7wt heavier in the front, unless I've tinkered with the pistons.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Experienced user"
Chevis - 1.08.13, 5:16 pm Post #23: | Reply With Quote
I'm getting the same issues y'all. Racing guy at my LHS agrees with Doc I on setup. Firmer damping on the front. I've got TiNi Shafts coming, and a range of oils and springs to experiment with.

Side note, my TWO new VXL Slashes came with 1 hole pistons in the front and rear shocks. Lower shock mounts were in the holes specified in the Jang vid. Seemed like 30 or 35 wt. oil.

Wonder what would be more consistent, or better for a rough track, two hole pistons with 45f/40r or one hole 35f/30r?

Good thread Rich, keep posting on what you find out on your setup.

Chevis
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 1.08.13, 7:26 pm Post #24: | Reply With Quote
Doc,
I built two different sets of rear shocks. One going off our your input of one hole 25-30 wt oil.
The other was Big Dodge of 3 hole 45 wt.

The ones that are in question are the 3 hole 45 wt. I just replaced the shafts with the TiNi ones, but I am confused as to the wt of oil I should put back in. I know they say to do ONE thing at a time so I think I will stick to the 45 wt oil and see how they do with the new shafts.

Also, Jang says to take the little blue bumpers off of the bottom of the shafts, this seems counterintuitave to me. Dont I want that little guy down there to keep the shocks from bottoming HARD?

I have a few different questions, but I will start a different tread for those if I dont find an answer thru a search of the threads.

Thanks again for the input,
Rich
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 1.08.13, 9:09 pm Post #25: | Reply With Quote
Realistically the blue bumpers reduce travel so you will bottom out sooner.. so the idea is that your spring will create the force to prevent the "bottoming out," but the likeliness of that is well... not very high lol, I just like to think that 1/100 times that actually happens.

For a bumpy track, a lighter oil will reduce dampening, allowing the shock to compress and expand quickly creating the "ghost suspension" similar to that in trophy trucks. Unfortunately you can't compare your RC vehicle's shocks to that of a trophy truck since they have multiple by pass cylinders to create an exponential pressure graph.

For large jumps a thick oil will prevent the shocks from compressing quickly allowing the spring to absorb more of the impact force.

With that being said... an important factor to account for is your track's set up. Your shocks should allow you to adapt to the terrain. Thus ask yourself whether you are having trouble on whoopdies or landing on jumps. For one if you're landing all your vehicles weight on the front two tires, your front shocks are going to bottom out since your vehicle's weight isn't being distributed over all four shocks, there's just nothing you can about that, just more practice is all
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 1.08.13, 9:34 pm Post #26: | Reply With Quote
Gut,
I hear you. I know I need to become a better driver. I am no wheres close to a lot of these guys.

But I would like the truck to endure one session without bent shock shafts. I know I come up short of jumps, etc. But when I was bashing it in parking lots and such I didnt have these bent things.

Just trying to figure it out.

thanks for the advice.

rich
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 1.08.13, 9:44 pm Post #27: | Reply With Quote
Yea no I get you, while my car seems like it should handle like a beast, i drive like a bad, so no worries, you're preachin to the choir hahaha

To be honest, running at the track is pretty hard on your truck, in my opinion track cars take more constant abuse than a single bash sesh.

Also take into consideration the idea that the other vehicles at the track are probably loaded with upgrades to maximize durability and performance so they seem indestructible in comparison.

My stock shock rods were like a wet noodle and once I switched to an aftermarket shaft with a different rod material, I never dealt with another bent shaft.

You may even want to look into dual rate springs, while they're more of a "best of both worlds" solution, they allow for compression in turns while dishing out the strength for jumps

I know my suggestions are very cost based and I apologize, i've simply come to the conclusion that with this hobby throwing money at an upfront cost is a lot easier than bleeding out money here and there as well as dealing with the head ache of your car just not working. Let us know what you come up with, really it's all just trial and error, me running a light oil with a two hole valve for my front shocks may not create the "feel" you're looking for D:
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 1.08.13, 10:21 pm Post #28: | Reply With Quote
Gut,
I uderstand what you are saying. Everything is relative. My track, your track. My bash, your bash.
I am just trying to get around the track and not break anything. ( I am sure I will hear tons about not driving hard enough)
Seriously, I like to go out, have a good time, marshall for the other guys, and kinda meet people.

I will keep you informed of my latests shock configuration. But I think with the addition of the TiNi shaft, I am really , seriously, hoping, prayint(tho I dont pray) burning incense to the Budda, and the other pagan thingys that I never bend another one again.

Unless I am jumping from the top of my garage.
"trying too hard bro"
GUTSLAYER - 1.08.13, 11:07 pm Post #29: | Reply With Quote
trashyrich said
Gut,
... burning incense to the Budda, and the other pagan thingys that I never bend another one again.

Unless I am jumping from the top of my garage.
hahahaha you gave me a good laugh with that one man, well said.

with the TiNi shafts you should be a lot better off than those stockers, glad to hear you're havin a good time at the track

glad you enjoy the marshalling, my dad can't get enough, he runs and runs and runs flipping those cars over and it never gets old for him, I can't believe it. He's 65 running throughout the track flipping over cars left and right.. life is just full of surprises
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 1.09.13, 4:37 pm Post #30: | Reply With Quote
Happy to hear your Dad is having a good time.
If he ever gets bored send him to Denver, I could use a personal Marshall!!