Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Vacationing user"
Byodood - 1.04.13, 10:13 am Post #11: | Reply With Quote
Dr. Isotope said
I dunno about quieter. My RPM box is the loudest gearbox I have. It's well put together and smooth as butter, but whatever plastic compound they used, I can hear those straight-cut gears whining away.
drop a little oil in there.
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.04.13, 10:14 am Post #12: | Reply With Quote
Frickin' hearing aid batteries musta died.
Again.
radio-control-ophile
sometimes your RC rips up the dirt sometimes the dirt rips up your RC
"Experienced user"
Drewderzslash - 1.04.13, 10:19 am Post #13: | Reply With Quote
its crazy how loud that traxxas transmission is. If they didn't use all steel or metal gears, they would not be so darn loud!
Andrew T. Larson
"Impervious to Perfection"
2genewb - 1.04.13, 12:43 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
Drewderzslash said
its crazy how loud that traxxas transmission is. If they didn't use all steel or metal gears, they would not be so darn loud!
it's settled then. all plastic gears it is.
No Cerveza, No Trabajo. Muchas Gracias.
"Vacationing user"
Byodood - 1.04.13, 12:48 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
2genewb said
it's settled then. all plastic gears it is.
My jato uses plastic gears and it's perfectly okay, i've never busted a gear in it. Steel gears are overkill.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 1.04.13, 12:51 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
You can't compare the two. Plastic internal gears in a Magnum gearbox, on anything more that Titan power, will be roasted within the first few packs. I break steel gears, all the time. As to "put a little oil in there," that's not really the problem. I have 11 vehicles based around the Magnum gearbox, including those made by Venom, FLM, RPM, as well as black and grey TRX boxes. The RPM is the loudest one, hands down.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.04.13, 12:51 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
NO! Overkill! Overkill!

Sorry just got a little over-excited there.
radio-control-ophile
sometimes your RC rips up the dirt sometimes the dirt rips up your RC
2genewb - 1.04.13, 12:56 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
Byodood said
My jato uses plastic gears and it's perfectly okay, i've never busted a gear in it. Steel gears are overkill.
have you seen what gears are offered in plastic for a 272 transmission? that's just not feasible. especially with 2 kilowatt motors (yes, 1/10 scale motors) and 6s monster systems being used in these vehicles.
"Forum Dwelling Basher"
Dr. Isotope - 1.04.13, 1:02 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
Not even that level of insanity. I think I've broken more parts with a Castle 1410Y 3800kv on 2S than with any other power setup. My 1/8th setups just burn up slippers.
There are no atheists in the foxholes / There is no intellect in the air / There are no scientists on the way down / Just a working example of faith versus physics. --El-P, Flyentology
2genewb - 1.04.13, 1:08 pm Post #20: | Reply With Quote
^