Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
xfilter - 1.02.13, 9:38 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
It kind of seems I'm going about my journey through R/C a bit backwards. I pretty much started out racing R/C cars right away. Racing dirt oval, and finally becoming a on-road carpet guy. Taking the racing side of things very seriously for years now. Travel across the country to a lot of the big races (Snowbirds, IIC, ROAR Nationals). Which is a lot of fun for a competition side of things. Not so much for a pure deep down enjoyment of R/C though.

So I kind of stepped straight bast the bashing side of R/C. So I've kind of decided Im going to at least make sure the step isn't skipped. I've always enjoyed building things (well as a little kid I mainly enjoyed taking them apart), so I've came to the conclusion I want to build a vehicle or two and just enjoy them.

Being the kind of person I am.. All or nothing... I'm going to dive in deep to this project. I'm not sure if Id call this a build or not.. As I'll admit most of it will be bolt together items. Though I do plan on some fabrication here and there. What ever it should be called won't be anything earth shattering new for sure, but its about having fun again!

I plan on building a LCG Slash (super new idea eh? ). I did purchase a Slash bare bones kit off eBay. Although, it seems it isn't going to help me all that much, it will make it much easier from a hardware stand point I think. Anyways here is kind of a list of the things I plan on doing.

Going to use the red STRC LCG kit (Atleast start there I might make adjustments after reading its possible for chassis breakage with that).

Custom carbon fiber Top Deck. I plan on using red alumn. Servo mounts that will be seen through the holes in the top deck. Also going to use STRC steering system as well.

I plan on modifying the black Rustler chassis a lot as well. Kind of inspired by Jangs Ultimate Rustler. I plan on narrow the chassis, and possibly extending the batter compartment if room is needed for electronics. I also plan on getting rid of the molded in stand offs for the top deck. Replace them with stand offs. Either made by me or possibly axial. I might lighten the middle, but if so It will be done more for looks than pure performance.

Full Protrac Kit. Going to add red alumn. c-hubs, and red alum rear hubs.

Powerstroke Shocks probably not needed, but they just look cool imo.

RPM Black Transmission Case. I do hope to get the alumn. motor mount anodized red though. With the black gear cover I think the red outline will looks sharp. I will be using a FML diff housing as well in the transmission.

I plan on using Novak speed controller and motors(black ring must replace the stock orange one ofcourse) , Savox servo, shorty lipo for more room as well as easy tuning.

I'm trying to mix performance and aesthetics.

Anyways I hope this at least some what interesting to you guys.
"Experienced user"
SlasherBasher98 - 1.03.13, 9:52 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Suscribed Like to see how this turns out.
Love being young!!SPC For Life
Traxxas Slash VXL/Brother's Traxxas Bandit
DrJVogel said "I hate trees"
SlasherBasher98 said "I hate poles"
"The man without a plan"
NikkoCharger - 1.03.13, 10:07 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
subscribed...
Suddenly... A wild signature appears!!
"casual master mechanic"
gnrkenny - 1.03.13, 10:08 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Im looking forward to this build, sounds like its going to be killer.
I hate curbs
"Experienced user"
xfilter - 1.04.13, 6:40 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Thanks guys! I hope big part of my stuff rolls in today so I can start laying stuff out. As I get it ill share with some pics.
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.04.13, 8:57 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I look forward to seeing your progress.

I might avoid extending the battery tray since this seems to be what weakens the STRC kit mounting to the Rusty chassis, causing breakages. Just a thought.
radio-control-ophile
sometimes your RC rips up the dirt sometimes the dirt rips up your RC
"OREGON IS FASTER"
c01e0 - 1.04.13, 9:01 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Subbed.
I'm no dentist, but our uniforms are flossin'.
STRC LCG Slash, Axial SCX10 Dingo, Losi 8ight E 2.0, Tamiya TA04 drifter (shared)
"Experienced user"
xfilter - 1.04.13, 9:23 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Yeah I wasn't sure about doing that. If I do that I will do something to add some strength back some how. I'm not sure if I'll have enough room to mount all my electronics in the battery slot with the shorty pack. I don't want to use a mount to raise the speedo off the chassis if I can keep from doing it.

Granted that just gave my an Idea.. I might add a rear top deck that mounts in right infront of the lcg bracket. extend over the electronics, and part of the battery. Use stand offs out on whats left of the side pods. We will see this is all in my head right now. Till I get all the pieces to see in my hands its hard to tell for sure.
"Experienced user"
TraxxasRC - 1.04.13, 9:47 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Subscribed.
"Experienced user"
xfilter - 1.05.13, 8:47 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
First update time. Let me know if the pictures are ok. To big of file size or physical size.

Well today I went shopping, and got a bunch of stuff in the mail. I got so many boxes my room mate suggest he should raise my rent because its clear I could afford it !