Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Hellonwheelz3 - 1.06.13, 4:29 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I was running my xl5 rusty in the snow tonight and all of a sudden the whole thing just stops in the middle of a run. I could tell by the sound it made that it was a gear mesh problem. I took it inside and when I took it apart I noticed there were teeth that had broken off of the spur gear. Luckily the pinion gear looks fine. I plan on getting the same gear (48p 86t) but am wondering if there is any better brands or brands I should look out for?
"Vacationing user"
Traxxas711 - 1.06.13, 4:31 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
plastic gets brittle when its cold
"Make Choices & Don't Look Back"
Remz3 - 1.06.13, 4:39 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Be careful in cold weather...any plastic as mentioned have a higher chance of breaking.
Traxxas E-Revo Brushless
Team Associated TC5
Traxxas Rustler VXL (Sold)
HPI E10 (Sold)
Traxxas Mini E-Revo VXL (Sold)
"Obscure Reference"
brightnsalty - 1.06.13, 4:44 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I had unending gear mesh headaches with 48p gears. Switch to 32p; Jato spurs are a direct drop in, and you won't have to use a gear cover.

To figure out 32p gearing, figure out what your gear ratio was before (e.g. 86t spur and 19t pinion would be 4.53). Then just get 32p gears that give you the same ratio.
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.06.13, 4:49 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Dang brightnsalty, there you go with your 'math' again. Some of us are retired and too old to think! But, 32p gears are the way to go even if one is 'arithmetic-challenged.'
radio-control-ophile
that rock popped up outta nowhere
"Northern New Jersey"
Bunzo - 1.06.13, 4:57 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Hellonwheelz3 said
I was running my xl5 rusty in the snow tonight and all of a sudden the whole thing just stops in the middle of a run. I could tell by the sound it made that it was a gear mesh problem. I took it inside and when I took it apart I noticed there were teeth that had broken off of the spur gear. Luckily the pinion gear looks fine. I plan on getting the same gear (48p 86t) but am wondering if there is any better brands or brands I should look out for?
Well people have already answered and told you plastic gets brittle in the snow but I personally don't think that was the full cause of your problem. The cold and brittle plastic might have been part of it but I also think your gear mesh might have been loose also. I doubt the brushed motor had enough torque to bust some teeth off the spur even if the plastic was brittle from the cold. Check your gear mesh often so you don't need to buy any more spur gears.

As for what brands are better and what you should get, just stick with the stock traxxas spurs. There cheap and easy to get ahold of. When you buy your new spur buy one or two extra it's always good to have a spare on hand. Steel spurs are made by a few company's for traxxas transmissions but with the brushed xl5 setup you currently have the steel gears are overkill. You don't wanna buy a steel spur just to fix a problem that can be solved with proper gear mesh. Also having the plastic spur break is a lot easier to repair then having a gear inside the transmission break. A steel spur won't break but it will transfer the force to a gear inside and break that gear instead. You always wanna provide your car with break point that is the easiest and cheapest to fix.

Oh and make sure you dry your car off after running in the snow! If you can blow some compressed air threw the motor also to get all the moisture out.
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.06.13, 5:00 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Excellent points Bunzo. Well said.
radio-control-ophile
that rock popped up outta nowhere
"Northern New Jersey"
Bunzo - 1.06.13, 5:03 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
brightnsalty said
I had unending gear mesh headaches with 48p gears. Switch to 32p; Jato spurs are a direct drop in, and you won't have to use a gear cover.

To figure out 32p gearing, figure out what your gear ratio was before (e.g. 86t spur and 19t pinion would be 4.53). Then just get 32p gears that give you the same ratio.
Switching to 32p gears with the stock xl5 system is not needed at all. Learning how to set the gear mesh correctly would be the best thing to do. Sure if you just wanna place a band aid over a problem that could be solved by learning to set gear mesh then go ahead and switch to 32p.

I should add if your planning on going brushless then 32p gears are a great option but even then they are not needed.
(Last edited by Bunzo : 1.06.13 at 5:07 pm)
"Obscure Reference"
brightnsalty - 1.06.13, 5:26 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Bunzo said
Switching to 32p gears with the stock xl5 system is not needed at all. Learning how to set the gear mesh correctly would be the best thing to do. Sure if you just wanna place a band aid over a problem that could be solved by learning to set gear mesh then go ahead and switch to 32p.

I should add if your planning on going brushless then 32p gears are a great option but even then they are not needed.
Believe me, I tried to set the gear mesh right. But it seemed like whatever I did, nothing ever worked. I've seen Jang's vid and read around a lot on setting gear mesh, but never had success. Do you have any tips?
"Northern New Jersey"
Bunzo - 1.06.13, 5:51 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
brightnsalty said
Believe me, I tried to set the gear mesh right. But it seemed like whatever I did, nothing ever worked. I've seen Jang's vid and read around a lot on setting gear mesh, but never had success. Do you have any tips?
It seems to come easier for some people more then others. I don't really have any tips on how to do it other then the things I am sure you heard in jangs video and read about. You might wanna keep an eye on the screws that hold your motor. It's very common for the screws to loosen on the traxxas transmissions and cause the motor to move and strip the gear. You could be setting your mesh perfect but if those screws loosen it don't matter your gonna strip a spur.

I personally set mesh just by sound and sight and don't have any problems but that definitely comes from 25+ years of RC'in