Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.08.13, 4:58 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
I use the Traxxxas VXL-3S Velineon (brushless) System.
I imagine It'd go even longer with an XL-5 Titan (brushed) System.
radio-control-ophile
that rock popped up outta nowhere
"Experienced user"
scottd1975 - 1.08.13, 5:34 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
Thank you so much for the help
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 1.08.13, 8:33 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
Scott1975,
I will not be as nice as the good DrJvogel has been on you.

You cant just go by someone elses advice and go for it. That will be disaster.
You need to learn about this stuff just like I did.

BEFORE you even consider a LIPO, go to the batteries thread here and read up on all that stuff, I know it will be boring, but it might just keep you and your family alive. Sorrry, but you seem to be young by your posts. There is nothing wrong with that. But Lipo batteies are nothing to be messed around with.

I know you want more power & speed. We all do. But you need to me educated to what you are getting into.

Trust me. 4 months ago I was asking the same questions as you. After seeing a few You Tube videos of Lipos blowing up I got a brand new respect for this thing we call "batteries".

Please, please, please, do your home work and be an educated person on Lipos if that is where you want to go.

If so, enjoy. You will love them. But remember to always respect them.

*I slowly get of off my soapbox and wave to the crowd*
It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.
"Stay Fit"
Corrupt - 1.08.13, 8:45 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
trashyrich said
Scott1975,
I will not be as nice as the good DrJvogel has been on you.

You cant just go by someone elses advice and go for it. That will be disaster.
You need to learn about this stuff just like I did.

BEFORE you even consider a LIPO, go to the batteries thread here and read up on all that stuff, I know it will be boring, but it might just keep you and your family alive. Sorrry, but you seem to be young by your posts. There is nothing wrong with that. But Lipo batteies are nothing to be messed around with.

I know you want more power & speed. We all do. But you need to me educated to what you are getting into.

Trust me. 4 months ago I was asking the same questions as you. After seeing a few You Tube videos of Lipos blowing up I got a brand new respect for this thing we call "batteries".

Please, please, please, do your home work and be an educated person on Lipos if that is where you want to go.

If so, enjoy. You will love them. But remember to always respect them.

*I slowly get of off my soapbox and wave to the crowd*
We need to get past this whole "lipo's are going to blow up everything" thing. Any battery can blow up. Yes, you have to care for any battery you use, they are all dangerous. Getting into lipos is not a dangerous trip into the dark depths of the hobby. It's fun.. We could argue brushless systems are dangerous, they make these several pound cars propel at incredibly high speeds.. flying weights.. Common sense, that's what needs to be used more in this hobby..

Sorry, just tired of hearing this whole "lipos are scary" thing.. They're not. Yes, do your homework, but do it with confidence that you're learning about how to care for them, not for how to avoid being killed by them..

-Corrupt
TRX- Sla2sh, P2de, Rustler, Sl4sh Venom- Creeper TLR- 22b, 22t , Axial SCX-10, Tamiya TL01, Vaterra Twin Hammers, Losi Micro T, HeliMax 1SQ V-Cam, Syma S107G
-Corrupt
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.08.13, 9:56 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
trashyrich, I agree that knowledge is power! We all need to learn and that is why we are on this forum.

Corrupt, I agree. LiPo batteries are not like nitroglycerin but I did have a GensAce Battery catch on fire for no reason so I would recommend not getting started prematurely. See my thread "Up In Smoke - or - Bye Bye Battery." Losi, himself, had his folks garage burnt down because of a LiPo battery caused fire. We all need to give respect to powerful things---whether is is a firework, model rocket, mean neighbor's dog, LiPo, good looking girl . . .

scottd1975, you are more than welcome for the help. Now get to know about LiPo batteries, charging, safe handling , storing, etc. and after you've dioen the work, get a LiPo in your RC!
radio-control-ophile
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 1.08.13, 10:12 pm Post #16: | Reply With Quote
Corrupt,
I didnt mean for that to come off as a "scared straight" type of thing. Sorry if I offended you.
The OP just seemed to be young. I felt he needed to be directed to learn about the batteries he is interested in using.
Dude, I am 46, & I read my butt off learning about the basics of lipo batteries.I still dont know everything and I doubt if I ever will.

I know they are not the "evil deamon" that is out to do us all in. I love my Lipos.

Hope I can make ammends.

Rich
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.08.13, 10:18 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
Hey, I totally agree with you trashyrich.

With that LiPo fire I had, I am lucky that I have a pristine Traxxas Stampede and not a ball of melted plastic. http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...ht=up+in+smoke

LiPo batteries are not the "evil deamon" that is out to do us all in --- that's evil trees, curbs, posts, rocks . . .

I love my LiPo batteries too. I'll never go back to NiMH.
radio-control-ophile
"Experienced user"
trashyrich - 1.09.13, 3:16 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
Dr.
Just read the thread, good thing you acted quickly.
"Obstacle Magnet"
DrJVogel - 1.09.13, 3:23 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
It's never a good sight when your Electric Stampede starts to smoke like the exhaust on your T-Maxx!

I am very thankful that I was able to keep the truck and not get injured while trying to save it.

I'm very, very careful with my batteries and I don't abuse my vehicle like some the dolts on YouTube so I remain clueless as to why it fried.
radio-control-ophile
"Experienced user"
scottd1975 - 1.09.13, 6:09 pm Post #20: | Reply With Quote
Thanks all advice is appreciated. I did a lot of reading and understand Lipo battery safety and balancing. I am looking for a 5000 2s 40 battery or higher but 2s. I am getting a Lipo bag.