Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
Slash_vs._SC10 - 3.03.13, 6:09 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I have a slash 4x4 lcg and I went to the track and raced for the first time today I noticed that my truck was not performing as well as some of the others. I would like to go and tune my truck but I do not have the time to experiment for myself on what change will affect handling. For example how does toe in or out change the way a truck performs. I know there are a few thing you can change like
Camber
Caster
Toe
Squat Rear / Front
Shock oil / Spring rate
Sway Bars
Diff oil
I was just curious as to what changing each of these will do in terms of handling.
Thanks for your help, Jon.

EDIT: The track I run at is a very tight, high traction surface you can see pictures here. (Watch the slide show, there are a few Pics.)
(Last edited by Slash_vs._SC10 : 3.03.13 at 6:11 pm)
Traxxas Rustler, SC10 2wd, Slash 4x4 LCG Platinum
LHS/Track: Larry's Performance RC's
My bodies are more duct tape then lexan...
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 3.03.13, 6:33 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Everything you need is detailed here:
http://www.competitionx.com/rc-racing/rc-tuning-guide/

First thing you need to do junk the stock springs, get soft springs for the rear and hard springs for the front. I would start with 30W oil in the rear shocks and 60W oil in the front for a loose pack track or 35W rear and 45W front for a high traction track.

Don't even consider sway bars, maybe for the front only if your rear end keeps breaking loose.

Diff oil all depends on track conditions too.

The biggest killer for you is no droop screws, you're gonna need to put fuel tubing inside the shocks on the rod between the e-clip and the inner piston to control your droop setting, very painful and tedious for tuning, but that's Traxxas for you
(Last edited by BillDeLong : 3.03.13 at 6:36 pm)
Club Racer: SCT + eBuggy + GT8e + GT18e + USGT + VTA + M12
Basher:
Monster Trucks + Crawlers + Drifters + Motorcycles

"Experienced user"
Rsickles - 3.03.13, 6:34 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Take the time and read this...

It's one of the Bible's to RC tuning.
http://www.hudy.net/xhudy/showfile.p...2bef0706315e0c

It's important that write down your setup and each and every change you make! You will never learn what setup affects your car if you don't log it... plus if you don't log it and don't know what fluids you're running, you'll never know how to go up or down.
(Last edited by Rsickles : 3.03.13 at 6:36 pm)
Brands I choose to support:
O.S. Engines, Savox Servos, KO Propo, Dialed Inc, Sweep Racing, A Main Hobbies
"Experienced user"
Slash_vs._SC10 - 3.03.13, 6:37 pm Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I'm having some trouble finding springs to fit the new GTR shocks, my hobby shop said that there are none available that will fit. any suggestions? Thanks for the links I will definitely read through them.
"Experienced user"
BAD RC - 3.03.13, 7:18 pm Post #5: | Reply With Quote

More information passed your way.
Mr. Anderson
"Obscure Reference"
brightnsalty - 3.03.13, 8:02 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
BillDeLong said
Everything you need is detailed here:
http://www.competitionx.com/rc-racing/rc-tuning-guide/
Bill, that's a fantastic guide. I've been looking for something like that for a long time. Thanks a ton for sharing.
"Does it matter?"
gillbily23 - 3.03.13, 11:59 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Here is a link to some Associated 13mm springs that should fit the GTR shocks. I ordered some today as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/91077-Associ...item27d058066d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Associated-9...item43b2c7264a

Just to follow up on this, some people have said that the Associated springs may rub on the threads of the GTR bodies. I tried some Losi Ten springs and they work perfect.
(Last edited by gillbily23 : 3.05.13 at 6:16 pm)
Hmmm, what should we do today? Shall we go drifting, crawling, short course racing, mudding, rock racing, road racing, trailing, or just run them as fast as we can around the baseball field and create a dust storm?
"rockin' the suburbs"
socal slash - 3.04.13, 5:21 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
That track, Larry's performance RC, is frequented by more than a few users here on URC, including indy34096, so they may be able to point you in the right direction.
We're not racing unless I win.
"Experienced user"
Slash_vs._SC10 - 3.05.13, 5:22 pm Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Yea I have seen a few people who have raced there and most of them are very helpful and informative but I would like to find a basic guide so I'm not pestering anyone with constant questions. Plus the guides provided give a quick way to information all in one place for when I'm at the track and there is not many people around.

Edit: So I was just reading another thread and I had a thought. My truck is setup to be low slung but the suspension is not as low as I think It should be. For example the truck sits real low but not because the shocks are way out its because the springs are soft or the shock oil is too thick. But I'm only running 45 wt. oil so I don't think that is it. there is no binding in the suspension or anything like that. I can add a bunch of pre load to bring the ride height back up but then its threaded almost to the bottom. I guess my question is how much preload is too much and what do you do when you get to that point.
(Last edited by Slash_vs._SC10 : 3.05.13 at 5:36 pm)
"Did I make the A Main?"
BillDeLong - 3.06.13, 4:29 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
preload should only control ride height, if you want more rear traction, then go with softer springs and softer shock oil. You shouldn't change one without changing the other, that means if you lighten your shock oil, then you should respectively go with a lighter spring etc...

if you've already gone as soft as you can reasonably go on the rear, then simply stiffen the front, if the front is as stiff as you can reasonably go, then install a sway bar on the front and then use different thickness of bars for fine tuning for your track conditions.
Club Racer: SCT + eBuggy + GT8e + GT18e + USGT + VTA + M12
Basher:
Monster Trucks + Crawlers + Drifters + Motorcycles