Didn't see too
many threads around about this RC, so I thought I'd start one to document my experience with it.
FIrst, everyone's seen a brand new ECX Revenge Type E out of the box, so if you haven't, Google it lol.
So, first pack through it, I'm impressed! On 3S, the buggy has PLENTY of juice to clear 8th scale jumps and keep up with just about anyone local. The tires however....not so much. Terrible and HARD. But, they're great for tarmac bashing, very long lasting, so I'll keep them for that.
Second pack through it, an E-Revo was doing some pretty gnarly jumps off a dirt hill behind a local track, so I wanted to try it. 4 jumps, perfect, the 5th...came down HARD on the front left at just the right angle and popped out the lower hinge pin on the A-arm. Bent the plastic retainer, and stripped out the screw that holds it in. Why on EARTH didn't they make that metal? The front one is metal, but the back one is plastic. *facepalm* Ok, driver error.
Popped it back in, threw in some locktite to hold the screw in, went back out. Nope, popped out instantly. Ok, off to order some parts...
Looking for "hop ups" for this thing is a PITA. They have a "Hop Up" link on the ECX and Horizon Hobby website, but not EVERYTHING is listed there. You have to know what you're looking for. Fortunately, someone else had the same issue and they DO make a brace for that plastic piece, part# ECX0987. So I ordered that up, and a new plastic brace, with a longer screw to replace the stripped one.
Now on to today, it's all back together, and braced up. Two full packs of HARD runs around the track and it's running BEAUTIFULLY. VERY durable (yes, I did more hard bash jumps and cartwheels) and it just keeps on going.
On to the Tuning portion: After the first pack, I saw that it was tail-happy, so I took out ALL the diffs and put 7k in the front, 7k in the center, and 2k in the rear. Stock was, and I can't emphasize this enough, MINIMAL amounts of grease. Terrible. Ran the 7,7,2 setup today, and now I'm going to try 7,10,2. Small tweaks. I also replaced the front shock oil with some fresh 30wt. The fronts weren't filled fully, and I could hear the squishing stock fluid/air mix, not to mention I think the stock fluid was too hard.
Next upgrade will be sway bars, and better tires for sure. But over all, I'm VERY happy with this buggy. VERY durable, light (comparatively), and plenty of power. For the price, I doubt I'd have found a better deal.
And yes, IT IS WATERPROOF. I've had it through puddles, and hosed it down with a garden hose last week. Not a single issue.
On to the pics!
The terrible tires that barely show signs of wear after a LOT of tarmac driving...
Dialed in some camber F & R, and a bit of toe-out on the front.
Freshly rebuilt center Diff with 10k oil
This is the suspension brace I was talking about. You can see how it bolsters the stock plastic end for the bottom hinge pin.
And now a video, the ECX is at the end lol
Thanks for stopping by, and any comments/questions/suggestions are more than welcomed! "thumbsup"
(Last edited by FattyMcJ : 5.18.13 at 10:05 pm)