Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
martind - 7.15.13, 6:06 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
What are the advantages / disadvantages of both?
"Experienced user"
mv75 - 7.16.13, 12:58 am Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Belt:

Smoother running. Can be set up for countersteer drift easier for drifters.

Needs constant attention and replacement.

Shaft:

Lasts forever. Little to zero maintenance required.

Cons are opposite of belt pros really.
"Experienced user"
ToraKitsu - 7.17.13, 12:41 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
mv75 said
Belt:

Smoother running. Can be set up for countersteer drift easier for drifters.

Needs constant attention and replacement.

Shaft:

Lasts forever. Little to zero maintenance required.

Cons are opposite of belt pros really.
This /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

Plus:

Shaft drives have what is known as "torque twist," because their motors are typically mounted in-line with the chassis, whereas belt drives have their motors mounted transverse. It usually manifests itself in higher-performance chassis, where a lot of power is available. Belt drives do not exhibit this.

They also have what is known as "backlash," which comes from the play within the gears in the differentials. This manifests itself when going from forward to reverse or vice-versa, and sometimes when accelerating from a dead stop.

If you are going to be running on filthy surfaces, belt-drives will suffer damage easier than shaft drives, which can happily run on filthy surfaces without complaint.
Belt drives have an efficiency that is superior to shaft drives, and typically run longer than a shaft drive, if the same size battery is used (but only minutely).
"Experienced user"
Haddi taha - 7.20.13, 8:11 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I would of thought shaft drives would be more efficient
Tamiya - Futaba - Hobbywing - Orca - Ride
"Experienced user"
ToraKitsu - 7.20.13, 8:51 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Haddi taha said
I would of thought shaft drives would be more efficient
There's actually more drag in a shaft system. All the belt-drives I have are more efficient. One in particular, the Losi JRXS-R, is so efficient, whatever ESC/motor combo I put in it never gets even warm, after multiple battery packs, and they run longer in that chassis by a few minutes. I can gear it up, down, makes no difference. It just stays cool. It's been both a grip racer and a drifter, and is still the most efficient chassis I own.

I also normally run 1mm more "play" in the belts than the manual calls for, to increase efficiency slightly.
(Last edited by ToraKitsu : 7.20.13 at 8:54 am)
"Experienced user"
Billy Kelly - 7.20.13, 9:50 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Changing the belts is a pain. Love my Sprint 2 sport/flux Vaterra is shaft driven. Just converted to brushless. Have had zero drivetrain problems.
"Experienced user"
3DSteve - 7.20.13, 10:25 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Six of one, half-dozen of the other. It really depends on how well the designers build the car around their chosen drive system. A fast car will be a fast car, no matter what type it uses.

The one big problem with belts, for general running, is the possibility of getting debris caught on them. I can't understand why this hobby went for so long with these completely open chassis that exposed your electronics and drivetrain to all kinds of dirt and debris. Even something as simple as some plastic side damns on a chassis like the Sprint 2 would probably keep things much cleaner.
"Experienced user"
Farmer42 - 7.20.13, 11:30 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
I'm a huge fan of this fear of shredding belts. Some chassis had the problem, but it's more or less been eliminated. To the point that there are belt-driven off-road trucks these days.
"Vacationing user"
ckwl - 7.21.13, 12:51 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
belts dont like running heavy gear aswell so forget running anything over 3s lipo unless there 2200 mah or less ive modded a ta05 fitted 40/74 brushless motor with xerun 150 amp esc on 6s lipo 32dp gears and just stripped belts after about 10 mins gps 155kmh though-so ok then did away with belt drive brought magnum 272 traxxas gearbox [$30 off ebay]bolted it to chasis and aint nothing gonna break now definitley more fun and gratifying custom modding your own rc goodluck.
"Vacationing user"
ckwl - 7.21.13, 6:57 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
belt drives dont loose as much power as shaft because the energy doesnt have to travel through as much gearsets but the trade off is it can take alot more power and weight unless you can swap out belt for a chain or thicker belt.