Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Forums are in read-only mode while restoration work continues. The great news is that we have a new server up & running, but I'm switching traffic between the two to gather some critical performance data. Still much work remains to be done. You will continue to see many errors, which are all known issues at this time.
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
QuickTorment361 - 7.30.13, 11:12 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I've owned my Torment for about 1 1/2 years. Installed metal gears I'm the first 2 months of life and installed my Castle Creations SV2 6900kv system in it the same day.

As of last Friday, I was driving it down the street, there's a huge flat dirt field 4 blocks down from my friends house, and on the trip there (moderate speed and some curb jumps) it decides to just stop going. All you can hear is screaming from the motor (not grinding, more like it's not even touching the spur gear) so I'm like damn it's a spur gear. Take it home, open it all up and what do I find?

The pinion is perfect, screw set on the flat side not loose at all. Perfect mesh with the spur gear.

Spur gear is perfect, had replaced it about 3-4 days previous to this.

Idler gear(s) perfect metal teeth and shape along with the bearings. Also idler shaft is fine and not stripped.

Main metal gear connected to the VXL shafts is perfect also with all its teeth.

Opened up the main gear as said above and find that all 4 mini gears inside are perfect with all metal teeth and great lubrication.

So I put it all back together. Just as it was before.

Now it drives but it has a loud clicking noise. And occasionally it will have an episode (today, almost bought a black Slash Raptor 2WD because of rage) and not want to drive but I repeat all steps and it's fine but with the loud clicking noise. I have take the motor off and ran it because I thought "Hey, maybe I've been running this motor too hot for about 1 1/2 years and an armature finally gave out" but nope. It puts just like it did on day one.

So I'm at a loss! Any suggestions of something I could have missed?
ECX Torment V1
Castle Creations SV2 6900kv BL w/Novak ESC Fan
Thunder Power 2S LiPo 4300 35C
Metal Transmission
All Traxxas Aluminum Links & VXL Driveshafts
"Vacationing user"
thepiper92 - 7.30.13, 11:21 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
Outdrives?
"Experienced user"
QuickTorment361 - 7.30.13, 11:53 pm Post #3: | Reply With Quote
Nope sorry I forgot to mention I tool those off and had power to the motor and ran it and the clicking noise is coming from the transmission area.

I'm at a complete loss.
ECX Torment V1
Metal Transmission
"Vacationing user"
thepiper92 - 7.31.13, 12:05 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
It has to be teeth or something. Clicking would be teeth, and not moving would be a point when there is no contact. Are you sure the teeth are all good?
"Experienced user"
QuickTorment361 - 7.31.13, 12:10 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Yea see it's so weird but it'll click and move, then scream and no moving.

It's like I could take the time to buy all new components or I could just buy a Slash because my Torment has never been down and I bash hard but the problem is my LHS has LOADS of parts for Traxxas and RPM parts and nothing for ECX. So I figure hey it's not a hinder on my cash flow so buy something that's readily available but I hate to see my first RC just sit there.
ECX Torment V1
Metal Transmission
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 7.31.13, 12:12 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
I agree with piper. There has to be something up with one of the gears inside the transmission.

I would order a new set of gears and install them and see if the issue goes away. My guess is that even though the gears look fine, there's a bit of wear that's causing the issue and every once in a while they are not making contact.

That, or your slipper is way...way...out of whack. Have you replaced the slipper pads or anything recently, or checked to make sure it's maintaining how tight it's set?
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, Tidewater, DJI Phantom, Nano QX, Proto X Nano, Scout CX, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere
"Experienced user"
QuickTorment361 - 7.31.13, 12:16 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Honestly I haven't touched the slipper since day one so I assumed it hasn't gotten wear and tear because it's set loosely from factory correct?

I'll tighten it now and see what happens.
ECX Torment V1
Metal Transmission
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 7.31.13, 12:20 am Post #8: | Reply With Quote
You need to replace your slipper clutch.

You're running a 6900kv motor, which is some serious speed, and you haven't ever messed with your slipper clutch?? What do you do when you replace the spur gear? How do you set the slipper when you do that? Do you just tighten it on a bit or something else??

I'm guessing you will need to replace all of the pieces for the slipper.
Torment, Boost, C4rcu4t, Bullhead, Summit, Telluride, Trail Trekker, Night Vapor, UM T-28, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Duet, Tidewater, DJI Phantom, Nano QX, Proto X Nano, Scout CX, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere
"Experienced user"
QuickTorment361 - 7.31.13, 12:41 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
Yea I measured the space from the spring to the nut and tightened it back to spec everytime. Hmm I'll try that tomorrow at the LHS, that's about all they have for ECX is the gears and slipper clutch and shocks lol.

Tightened it and same clicking but like I said it's been driving fine but after 10 mins of driving hard it'll just scream. So I'll replace the pads and plates and get a new set of metal gears.
ECX Torment V1
Metal Transmission
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 7.31.13, 12:47 am Post #10: | Reply With Quote
Does it only do it after several minutes of running??

Also, measuring the distance on the threads for the slipper clutch is not a very good way of making sure it's set correctly. Look up some videos on YouTube to see how to correctly set the slipper clutch.