Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
jimbo74 - 11.21.13, 12:05 pm Post #11: | Reply With Quote
its going to be too big for indoor driving, unless you have a warehouse....

will also be too fast as well...... I have an rc18t which is quite modded, and is too fast for indoors..... really depends though, the rc18t is quite a bit smaller than the traxxas 1/16ths, or the 1/14th Kalahari......

what is fast to you, might not be fast to me. and so on and so forth......

I want a Kalahari, a lot.... but.... I think it is too fast for indoors..... however, I do have an empty warehouse
"Master of micro and mini"
Driver86 - 11.21.13, 12:37 pm Post #12: | Reply With Quote
Forget the RC18 for indoors too. I think anything bigger than the 1/24 Losi are too big for indoors and in fact prefer the 1/36 Losi for indoor driving.

Check this out. With a Lipo battery they'll do 10mph+ and that's pretty darned quick for indoors.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...lue-LOSB0230T2

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...lue-LOSB0233T2
I officially have too many vehicles to fit in this sig.
Brands I own: Associated, Duratrax, Exceed, Losi, RedCat, Silverlit, Syma, Tamiya, Tomy, Traxxas, Turnigy, Xmods and several generics
"Experienced user"
ecx7603 - 11.21.13, 3:57 pm Post #13: | Reply With Quote
ive seen a merv, which is just a rally so i guess this is about my size, i have an open basement. I have considered the tacon, but my lhs sells the vaterras and all of the parts/upgrades. I dont like rcx because of the $20 dollar shiping.
(Running)ECX Circuit: 2s Lipo, HD1501MG, Radient Reaktor 3500kv Combo, Highly Modified
(Running)Losi MRC: 2s lipo, HD 1501MG, Xl2.5, otherwise stock
STOP: Spin Tires On Pavement
"Experienced user"
ecx7603 - 11.21.13, 4:02 pm Post #14: | Reply With Quote
Yeah i have seen the losis, but im afraid all step on it........ just kidding, but i really just want something for the street, but that can bash, and can be driven indoors. I live in utah so there will be some snow soon, i already got some paddles for my circuit, and i just want a little 4/4 that can bash alongside my circuit.....make sense?
(Running)ECX Circuit: 2s Lipo, HD1501MG, Radient Reaktor 3500kv Combo, Highly Modified
"Experienced user"
dj4monie - 11.21.13, 6:11 pm Post #15: | Reply With Quote
I want a mini too, indoors is not really an option unless I want to break thing around here.

Its a perfect size for my backyard though. I have something up my sleeve but here's my .02 -

Get it while you can, the Atomik Fiesta has been discontinued and going for $80 on Ebay. Out of all the car sort vehicles, you can setup it little track indoors and it will be okay. But because of its stock ride height you can run it outside, it will handle packed dirt, short grass and other surfaces pretty easily.

IMHO the La Trax Rally is set up for tarmac/hard surfaces (out of the box) since its slick tires have no tread whatsoever. Plus it comes with friction shocks out of the box, while the Atomik comes with ball bearings AND oil shocks.

That said its competitively priced if purchased at Tower with coupon code ($119.99). Hobby People stocks it for the same price ($129.99).

The Vaterra twins offer great value, the 1/14 is a bit off putting and I've seen people get them for $100, so while $118-$130 is a screaming deal, the cheapskate in me wants me to get it for the lowest price possible.

I like the Tacon Rally it has predictable handling out of the box and like the Vaterra twins it has standard hex's so you can run touring car tires and wheels on it.

http://youtu.be/2sw9G5AKOOQ

Given these choices, even the Associated 1/18 scale cars, I would stay away from the Traxxas Rally. Jang was not the only person to find the road based 1/16 chassis has high CG and prone to traction roll with better tires. It can be tuned out of course, but the high CG remains. That said there's an excellent thread on RC Tech that covers all the mods you need to do in order to get the brushless to lap within a second of 1/8th scale touring cars around a track.

http://youtu.be/WBAaXaLtiQU

Its very hard to beat the Atomik Brian Deegan Fiesta for $80. Less than $80 for a hobby grade RTR car? Screaming bargain, oil shocks and ball bearings already in it. The Vaterra twins have these features to and have dropped about 35% in price from when first released.

I would say these would be ideal.

The LaTrax because of its low CG stock chassis and its optional carbon chassis upgrade will be the best on-road of the 1/18 scale cars and its cheaper than the Associated cars.

I am temped to get all three just to see what's up and sell whatever I don't want.
"Experienced user"
FLBenz - 11.22.13, 11:25 am Post #16: | Reply With Quote
Has anyone replaced/upgraded the stock servo in the Kemora/Kalahari? If so, what did you use? I haven't seen the stock servo's specs so I don't know what to look for.
"Experienced user"
ecx7603 - 11.23.13, 4:03 pm Post #17: | Reply With Quote
a kalahari just went for $60 on ebay, brand new....... i think im getting a vaterra, with 3s lipo, but if anyone has any useful upgrades please still post them
"Experienced user"
mhx - 11.23.13, 5:59 pm Post #18: | Reply With Quote
If you get that tacon its a must to order
2x sets of extra spindles
5x CVD shafts

Parts are cheap for them

The stock parts are flawed out of the box.
"Experienced user"
mhx - 11.23.13, 6:00 pm Post #19: | Reply With Quote
btw is that your car at mikes hooby thats like 15min from my house
"Experienced user"
dj4monie - 11.24.13, 12:18 am Post #20: | Reply With Quote
ecx7603 said
a kalahari just went for $60 on ebay, brand new....... i think im getting a vaterra, with 3s lipo, but if anyone has any useful upgrades please still post them
That must be the one I saw from the same R/C Shop that was selling one with Buy Now for $118 but had another one for Open Bids.

If you upgrade to 3S then getting a better pinion gear and I would consider gearing down as well, as it will work but the ESC/Motor temps will go up.