Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
inlina - 12.30.13, 5:14 pm Post #1: | Reply With Quote
Hi all,

I am planning on building a modular track system that I can use in my living room and for it to also be portable enough to take to places. At the moment I have a Micro DT but I am considering getting a Micro Truggy or even an SCT.

At this stage I have mocked up some basic track designs in CAD that is based on using a 1200 x 600mm piece of ply (4' x 2'). The simplest one using 5 sheets is shown in the attachment but I have layouts that use 6 and 7 boards as well and they track could get even bigger if space allows. I will be adding features/terrain/small jumps to each board except for the start/finish.

At this stage I am a little concerned about the lane width. With 600w boards and 30mm allowance for barriers I am at abut 540mm or 21". I have done a bit of hunting around and found a website that says about 20" is OK for micros and found a couple of tracks about this width on YouTube. This width looks OK for Micro-T/DT but perhaps a bit small for the 1:24 cars although there is one store track I found that seems to be good with this width. Most people with 1:24 cars look to be using the wider RCP track size, so about 840mm/33" lane width. Any thoughts on the lane width I will be using (540mm/21")?

CG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basic_L-shape_layout_5-board_640w.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	53336  
"Experienced user"
inlina - 1.11.14, 6:14 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
So I have gone out and bought the materials based on my original idea. Here is a quick 'Proof Of Concept' video...

http://youtu.be/vwlH3hvGNHw

I think the lane width is OK for now so I am going ahead with the build. If I get to the end and it is not quite right then it will be lesson learned...and time to build something bigger!

CG
"Experienced user"
inlina - 3.30.14, 12:33 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
I have finally finished most of the modules I planned on making and the lane markers. I have done a little video of a 5 module layout. Unfortunatly I broke a tie rod in filming that so I couldn't show any more layouts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AusATqPcUVU

It's working pretty well so far. On to making terrain once I get the tie rod issue sorted.
Corey G
LivingRoomRaceway.com
"Valiant Poultry"
Gimpdiggity - 3.30.14, 12:44 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
Looks pretty good.

What are you thinking about doing for making terrain?? It needs some whoops and jumps and stuff.
In Life, Try to be the Kind of Person Your Dog Thinks You Are...
Torment, C4rcu4t, AMP DB, Axial Digger, Night Vapor, Archer, Firebird Stratos, Phantom 3 Standard, Power Vee, Bristol Bay, Duck, Volere, Dragon Force Yacht, Springer Tug
"RCP Me!!"
RCer4life - 3.30.14, 6:59 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Also interested in what you will be doing for terrain.
Aurora RC
Kyosho
Goodrich RC Club
"Experienced user"
Healzonu - 3.30.14, 7:09 am Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Could you use some sort of rare earth magnet recessed into the ply and then the terrain could be modular as well? ( I do this on my table top gaming tables) just not sure if the magnets would hold up against the 1\24 jumping into them? If they do though that would be amazing!! I know on the tracks you buy its just pieces of foam that get propped up to make an incline, no?
"Experienced user"
inlina - 4.02.14, 4:17 am Post #7: | Reply With Quote
Gimpdiggity said
What are you thinking about doing for making terrain?? It needs some whoops and jumps and stuff.
I have a few ideas and I am going to try each of them out on different modules. My first thought is paper mache. I have also been looking at builder's putty. There are also kneedable 2-part epoxies like the model building stuff that Tamiya has but you can get it in larger quantites at the hardware store. Oh, and the bulders polyurethane that usually comes in caulking gun tubes (we have it here as 'liquid nails'). That stuff comes in a sausage pack that might be interesting to make some terrain and tough...as nails! And then there is plywood and/or cardboard jumps. Oh, and kinetic sand is interesting but I don't know if the polymer in it might have adverse effects on the vehicle, or even the sand for that matter.

I am also thing of making the terrrain on one modular...so modular on modular! It would have the option of having either jumps or a quater pipe made out of plywood.

CG
(Last edited by inlina : 4.05.14 at 8:54 pm)
Corey G
LivingRoomRaceway.com
"Experienced user"
inlina - 4.05.14, 8:53 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
Healzonu said
Could you use some sort of rare earth magnet recessed into the ply and then the terrain could be modular as well? ( I do this on my table top gaming tables) just not sure if the magnets would hold up against the 1\24 jumping into them? If they do though that would be amazing!! I know on the tracks you buy its just pieces of foam that get propped up to make an incline, no?
You, my friend, are an ideas man. I have been racking my brain for ways to make the modular on modular idea for the jump/quarter pipe modules that I didn't want to be a fixed set-up.

The only potential issue I see it will the magnets be strong enough to attact the few steel parts in the cars and make them act funny as you drive over them (mess with the motor, suck the car down, inductive pick-up messing with electronics). I guess the only way to find is to buy some and test it.

I think the solution will be to come up with a system that allows the magnets to be removable but still be used a a fastener. Something to think about. I like this colaborative brainstorming stuff...thanks for your idea again!
Corey G
LivingRoomRaceway.com
"Food for thought!"
thefoodman52 - 4.06.14, 4:34 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
For comfort sake, track width should be roughly 3x greater than the width of the vehicles running in it. You can do a little less, but it'll start feeling cramped the more you reduce the size.
"Gecko Guy"
RCGecko - 4.06.14, 7:47 pm Post #10: | Reply With Quote
id say the wider the better. losi micros arent known for great steering, especially the 1/36
-Gecko Guy

youtube: Gecko Guy

Specializing in exotic reptile care and classic cartoons.