Ultimate RC Home RC Forum RC Videos RC Photos RC Projects & others
Affiliate links:
Not a Member Yet? You're Missing Out!
Sign up in minutes for a free URC Network account and you'll be able to post in over 100+ forum categories, search over a decade of archived topics, exchange private messages with other members, upload pictures to the RC photo galleries, and much more!

Already have an account?
Sign in below!
Sign in:
"Experienced user"
K223 - 6.24.08, 8:10 am Post #1: | Reply With Quote
I finally managed to get my hands on the Option tuned pipe for the 8.0 I installed it and ran my truck, and it ran horrible. Fouled a plug, the truck was running super rich and did some slight retuning but could not get it to run good at all. Mind you I had my truck perfectly tuned with the stock muffler on and it was running like an animal and so dependable. All I did was change the pipe and it was horrible. I called AE and he told me to just go back to factory settings and tune. I told him that would make me richer than I am now and I'm already spitting out fuel all over. So he says just lean out until it runs correctly.

So at this point it is hard to beleive a higher flow pipe can have that much of an effect on my engine. But first I am going to run my truck with the stock pipe back on it at the same settings and make sure I some how did not develop engine problems, before I try to really lean out things and get the option pipe working.

Anyone have any input, ideas on whether the option pipe can have a drastic change make my motor go from running perfectly to super rich and not run worth a damn?

Thanks

K223
"Experienced user"
ZarSu - 6.25.08, 3:04 pm Post #2: | Reply With Quote
K223 said
Anyone have any input, ideas on whether the option pipe can have a drastic change make my motor go from running perfectly to super rich and not run worth a damn?

Thanks

K223
Have the pipe installed on one of my 8.0's here and it ran great after minor tweaking. But now after about 6 tanks it is horrible and on the bench awaiting reinstall of the stock system to see if I can get the motor reliable again. As it is now we (3 of us) have tried to tune it with no luck. This truck had about 16 tanks on it (broken in right).
_____
Cheers!!
FT

3 dead 8.0'motors from 3 new trucks in the corner. REASON bad "Trinity" fuel.
Current status: 1 using a new 8.0 motor, 1 using a used 4.6 motor, and 1 still dead.
"Experienced user"
stafford8.0 - 6.26.08, 2:22 am Post #3: | Reply With Quote
So if it is running rich then the new pipe must have more backpressure. I would think that it would have less backpressure and better flow. Seems as though it should lean it out with less backpressure.
"Experienced user"
K223 - 6.26.08, 8:25 am Post #4: | Reply With Quote
I installed my stock pipe back on and my truck ran great again. So this option pipe being it's a much different design and must flow so much better, is causing the truck to run super rich by allowing the motor to flow a higher amount of air/fuel through it is my only guess. AE just told me to lean it out.

I am going to reinstall the option pipe again and try to lean out from my good settings with the stock pipe. Looks like I will be 3/4 to 1 full turn leaner on the high and probably on the low before I think it starts to run good based on how rich and piggy it's running now. So far a major dissapointment with this pipe. Hopefully with careful tuning it will show it's worth. From what I read sounds hard to tune and not as reliable. Let me give it another go soon.

K223
"Experienced user"
ZarSu - 6.26.08, 9:17 am Post #5: | Reply With Quote
Keep us informed, I have been trying to run mine but it has rained just about every day here lately, and where I run 70% of the field is grass and it takes forever for it to dry and we will not run it them in the wet. And of course it just started raining again at this moment.
_____
Cheers!!
FT

3 dead 8.0'motors from 3 new trucks in the corner. REASON bad "Trinity" fuel.
Current status: 1 using a new 8.0 motor, 1 using a used 4.6 motor, and 1 still dead.
"Experienced user"
gtxracer - 5.29.09, 12:31 pm Post #6: | Reply With Quote
Update on this?
"Experienced user"
nightwolf1969c - 5.29.09, 3:03 pm Post #7: | Reply With Quote
I put the tuned pipe and header on my 8.0 had to lean it out from my settings with the stock pipe and header and nova head .ran it yesterday ran like a monster more power could not keep front tires on the ground
"Experienced user"
OC_ - 6.02.09, 6:46 pm Post #8: | Reply With Quote
So the problem with the stock 8.0 pipe is that its worthless as a muffler for a 2-stroke engine. The aluminum spent making that muffler would have been better used in the making of a beer can for the cheapest beer you can think of.

You guys are thinking the wrong way when it comes to these mufflersl it seems like your thinking the tuned pipe is going to flow better than the stock one, and therefore would require a richer tune. Well, if this was a 4-stroke engine like in a real car, this would be true!
Think about this as well, if really high flow was the name of the game, wouldn't no muffler be the best?

Throw that logic out the window because this is 2-stroke land!
I'm sure you have noticed that all tuned pipes (all good ones) have a long cone type shape to where the header connects, and then have a hemispherical cap on the other end.

The purpose of the cone (megaphone) shaped section is to create a suction behind the exhaust pulse.

This suction actually pulls more air and fuel into the engine; so much so, that it may pull the air and fuel completely through the engine and into the muffler before the piston can travel up again.

This air/fuel mixture is moving though the muffler pretty damn fast, and now it comes to the hemispherical shaped end cap of the muffler where it gets reflected back into the engine.

Because of how the ports are setup on the engine; the piston will still have the exhaust port open and the intake port closed. This high-speed air/fuel mix now enters the cylinder, filling it with more air and fuel than would be otherwise possible without a tuned pipe. Then the piston moves up and closes all the ports and combustion happens again.
It pretty much supercharges the engine... This effect is called exhaust scavaging.

The stock pipe on the other hand dose not do this at all (well, a little). In fact, it just dumps that extra fuel out and turns it to smoke. Because of this, you are forced to tune very rich because its just dumping fuel.

The tuned pipe is much more efficient, and that's why you have to lean it out. Even though its lean, you are actually putting more fuel into the cylinder due to the pipe dynamics.
You will notice TONS more power (the 8.0 will pretty much destroy everything with this pipe) and a way less smoke when tuned properly. If you are fouling plugs, you are rich. Lean it out.
"Experienced user"
meatsaber - 7.12.09, 7:31 am Post #9: | Reply With Quote
very well put OC. the stock pipe is a sorry design and should be melted down to scrap immediately. i installed the option pipe, the truck smokes less, runs smoother, and may as well have ski's instead of front tires because they never touch the ground! im contemplating putting my e-savage wheels on the front for a drag car look, but i fear the power of this motor would crack the wheels in half