Altogether, the kit was very easy to assemble. All you had to do was line up some notches, push the major pieces together, and screw in some reinforcing bars (or "spacers," as they are called in the instructions). The instructions are very clear and even tell you how big to cut the hole in your body for the rear of the cage to fit through.
During the assembly, the only problem I encountered was that it was kind of hard to fit the four main sections together in their slots, without having to force it. The matching notches face opposite directions (one’s opening is pointing down, the other up). Although it was hard to get it in, the resulting structure was surprisingly stable even without the reinforcing bars. It seems very solid and tough. Below are a few pictures from assembly.
Installation was definitely my least favorite part of this process. It was pretty hard to get the cage on, and it was a very tight fit. Also, you can’t use a rear exhaust setup (which I had), so I went ahead and got a new manifold & pipe. To install the cage, you have to take off the bumpers, wheels, tires, and body mount posts.
In the directions, it made installation sound easy. That definitely wasn’t the case. Supposedly all you had to do was just line up the cage and push down. Yeah, and I’m James Bond. Instead, it was a very tight fit, and I cut up my hands in the process of pulling the ends of the cage to fit the chassis. The two side bars are attached to the chassis via little notches in the aluminum that match the contour and angling of the chassis. This is the part where I involuntarily gave blood. Once I actually got the cage far enough down near the bulkheads to slip the slots in the cage onto the chassis, I found out that I had to get one side in, then pull as hard as I could on the other to get it over to the other side. Once I got the chassis into those slots, the rest was a (relatively) easy process.
The exoskeleton was attached to the bulkheads via the screws that connect the bumper mounts to the bulkheads. This is the part where, once you got the bulkhead brace into that space between the bulkheads (the cage was pushing on the sides, so it made it a bit difficult), it became very easy.
Once those screws are in, all that’s left is to attach the bottom plate, which also doubles as a center skid (cool!). This was screwed on with four allen head screws into the chassis braces. The four corners of the side cage bars fit into holes in the center plate, and were held in with body clips, just in case the screws that held the cage in came out (like that would ever happen).
One word: strong. I flipped this beast on its lid many a time, and no damage occurred whatsoever. Not even a scratch. As you can see in the above pictures, I was even able to stand on it.
Overall, the quality and fit of the cage is good and it's very strong. It helps protect many of the vital "organs" of the car, so you won't be afraid to try that backflip or be scared of running into an inanimate oblect (i.e. cat, dog, brick wall, etc.). The included center skid is also a bonus.
While I really liked this cage, though, there were some cons to it. First of all, it's very hard to start the truck with it installed, as you have to stick your finger into the cage at weird angles. I even ended up taking out one of the supporting bars just so that I could get my glow plug igniter in. Second, it's hard to work on the vehicle without taking the cage off. Finally, you can't use most bodies without a lot of cutting, which makes it look kind of ghetto.